Wa CPL

Brindle

Michigan law states
Section 28.432a

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.432a Persons to whom requirements inapplicable;

Sec. 12a.
(h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol.

but the Iosco County Clerk e-mailed me this statement

"No your CPL from Washington is not recognized in Michigan. Here is a link to information re: obtaining a CPL in Michigan:"

Link Removed

We now offer CPL photos at my office for an extra $10 per applicant.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email or call.

Thanks and have a great day!

Nancy J. Huebel
Iosco County Clerk
422 W. Lake Street
P.O. Box 838
Tawas City, Michigan 48764
(989) 362-3497
(989) 984-1012 Fax
Iosco County, Michigan Homepage

Which is it and why the conflicting information? Am I interpreting the law wrong? The county clerk must know, right?

Michigan law states
Section 28.432a

FIREARMS (EXCERPT)
Act 372 of 1927

28.432a Persons to whom requirements inapplicable;

Sec. 12a.
(h) A resident of another state who is licensed by that state to carry a concealed pistol.

Which is it and why the conflicting information? Am I interpreting the law wrong? The county clerk must know, right?

Are you a resident of Washington State? If you are then your Washington CPL is good in Michigan as long as you remain a resident of WA state. In order for your CPL to be valid in Michigan, you must be a resident of the state whose CPL you are holding.

No, the county clerk does not necessarily know state laws. The conflict exists because the county clerk does not know the state laws.

I'll be buying a house in Michigan around March. At that time my WA CPL is not valid.
Hope I can "transfer" my WA license to MI without the cost of a safety course.

Yes I'm a resident of Wa. Thanks for answering my question.

Hope I can "transfer" my WA license to MI without the cost of a safety course.

You can't. You'll have to pay all the fees and take all the courses/training that Michigan requires. The only thing your WA CPL will get you out of is having to wait 6 months in Michigan:

MSP - Concealed Pistol License Requirements

Note: The 6-month residency requirement may be waived by the concealed pistol licensing board for new residents licensed by another state.

Welcome to what the anti's like to call "reasonable regulation". Good thing the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed, though, right?

Ditto
I assumed as much. Nothing wrong with continual training and refresher courses if that is my choice as a free man.
As I travel across this country with my family I'll have chamber locks on everything, empty magazines and all pistols locked away out of sight
in a triple locked safe. Hope there are no bad guys at any of the rest stops.

Thanks again for help.

As I travel across this country with my family I'll have chamber locks on everything, empty magazines and all pistols locked away out of sight
in a triple locked safe. Hope there are no bad guys at any of the rest stops.

Why put yourself and your family at risk when you don't have to? In almost every state that you will pass through you can either carry concealed or openly where they recognize the WA CPL, a couple of states you could only open carry because they don't recognize the WA CPL but allow for unlicensed open carry, and you can even have your firearm loaded and on your person inside your vehicle in Illinois.

Type of loaded handgun carry allowed with WA CPL:
ID - open or concealed.
MT - open or concealed.
WY - open carry only.
ND - open or concealed.
SD - open or concealed.
IA - open or concealed.
MN - unloaded in a locked container, including glovebox.
WI - open or concealed.
IL - loaded and concealed inside vehicle only.
IN - open or concealed.
MI - open or concealed until you become a resident.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back