Took "First Timer" To Range On Friday

Templar

I'm a square
Hello Everyone,

A friend of mine and I went to Target Master in PA on Friday, it was his first time at the range. We took his Walther P22 and my Beretta 96 .40S&W. He had never previously fired a pistol and was a little nervous at first. Once we were set up on the firing lane I went over some basics with him to reinforce some of the info we had discussed earlier before we left. His first shot group wasn't all that bad and there was actually a shot group to work with rather than being all over the place. At that point I knew he would pick it up pretty quickly. Throughout the day his shot groups for the most part improved as did his familiarity with his weapon and range basics.

Long story short we went thru about 300 rounds between both of our pistols and he left the range with greater confidence in his abilities. As we left the range he very enthusiastically said "Hey, that was a lot of fun!" I couldn't agree more, we are already planning our next trip.:biggrin:

Good work!

If you can teach him well and light a small fire...it will spread and you will soon have a lot more 2A friends!

Heck yeah it's fun!

Congratulations on the education opportunity!

I got my in-laws out at the range a while ago. My mother-in-law had never shot anything at all before and she had a great time. Now they've been talking about going through the motions to get their CCW permits (OH, so the get to take a course and stuff).

Hopefully they do it soon, then we can go gun shopping!

Glad to hear you two had a great time. Seems like there have been a lot of first timers at the gun shops and ranges over the mast month. I know a few people I never would have guessed come up and ask if I could take them. Sounds like you did a good job teaching him the basics. Soon you'll be helping him pick out his first gun!

Good job, Templar! Have you considered becoming a CCW/Range instructor? With Obama about to take office in 29 days, we need as many of your kind as possible.

I was just browsing through and noticed that you went to Target Master in PA. I was recently there a few weeks ago with my dad, and had a really excellent time, however it is only the second time I have ever been. I have a few questions though, if anyone has some suggestions I would really appreciate hearing any ideas :) I started out shooting a 22, and then moved to a 9mm glock, model 26 I believe? But two concerns: the casings shoot directly back at me, very hot, not so comfortable! And I have a difficult time finding a gun that fits my hand well because I have very small hands. I haven't tried any other types of guns aside from the glock, and don't know a whole lot about the different guns and models available. I would love to hear any suggestions or information since I have just started learning about guns, and its wonderful to hear that there are others that have recently started showing an interest and don't know a whole lot about guns yet, it's wonderful to feel supported! :)

GabbyDP, I also have small hands, which was a factor in my decision to purchase a 9mm Smith & Wesson model 3913. It is also lightweight. This made it easy to carry while running 10+ miles cross-country, every day for years.
It is very accurate, but must be kept clean and lubed for dependable operation.:happy:

Good job, Templar! Have you considered becoming a CCW/Range instructor? With Obama about to take office in 29 days, we need as many of your kind as possible.

I have never considered becoming an instructor. That would be interesting to look into though, I think it's something I would enjoy.

nothing better than taking somebody new to the range, great job. glad he had a good time also, I'm sure you will have a new Friend to go with. it's always more fun with somebody to go with, to practice and learn together.
luckily I have skipjack and my kids to go with, and another friend joined the conservation club we belong to this year so thats even better.
skipjack has taught me a lot. I have to thank him.:yes4:

Teaching

I have never considered becoming an instructor. That would be interesting to look into though, I think it's something I would enjoy.

As Master Yoda said to Luke - "don't think, do!" There are a number of ways to get certified as an instructor, the most common one through NRA. Go to their site and see if an instructor program is in your area. Then get on a teaching team and let the fun begin.

If you have any questions just PM me.

I was just browsing through and noticed that you went to Target Master in PA. I was recently there a few weeks ago with my dad, and had a really excellent time, however it is only the second time I have ever been. I have a few questions though, if anyone has some suggestions I would really appreciate hearing any ideas :) I started out shooting a 22, and then moved to a 9mm glock, model 26 I believe? But two concerns: the casings shoot directly back at me, very hot, not so comfortable! And I have a difficult time finding a gun that fits my hand well because I have very small hands. I haven't tried any other types of guns aside from the glock, and don't know a whole lot about the different guns and models available. I would love to hear any suggestions or information since I have just started learning about guns, and its wonderful to hear that there are others that have recently started showing an interest and don't know a whole lot about guns yet, it's wonderful to feel supported! :)

let me be the first to welcome you to the site!
the best thing you could probably do is to go to a gun store and hold as many pistols as you can and see what fits your hand best.. one of my pistols is a baby desert eagle. I have medium sized hands, but there are friends of mine who have small hands and they agree that it has one of the most comfortable grips for their hands as well. give it a try and let us know what you decide on!

Last edited:
GabbyDP, I also have small hands, which was a factor in my decision to purchase a 9mm Smith & Wesson model 3913. It is also lightweight. This made it easy to carry while running 10+ miles cross-country, every day for years.
It is very accurate, but must be kept clean and lubed for dependable operation.:happy:

Thank you for the suggestion! :) May I ask about why you chose to carry a handgun while running? Is it profession related or a personal choice? I'm interested in hearing some different opinions, or how you decided to carry a handgun for self-protection :) As I mentioned, I'm new to the whole concept and would like to get some more information :happy:

Scarecrow:
Thank you for the welcome! :) I will definitely look into that. I have only gone to a shooting range a few times, so the concept is still very new to me. Do you have any suggestions or advice? :)

Thank you for the suggestion! :) May I ask about why you chose to carry a handgun while running? Is it profession related or a personal choice? I'm interested in hearing some different opinions, or how you decided to carry a handgun for self-protection :) As I mentioned, I'm new to the whole concept and would like to get some more information :happy:

I wish I could still run like before (back pain forced me to quit). A friend and I started running in the Army, and my addiction to it returned months after arrival back home. :hang2: A handgun, and sometimes a dog, were the best companions I could find. I chose to run in the woods, at all times of the day and night. During hunting season, nighttime was safest.

A handgun can give you the confidence to go places you might would otherwise be afraid to go. What did I think I might need protection against? Critters such as bears and big cats, and people. The only things I ever chose to shoot were snakes and armadillos.

It is our right and responsibility to defend our loved ones and ourselves!:victory:

Welcome aboard. I have medium-sized women's hands though they are small maybe by most men's standards. I bought a Beretta 9 SB Compact and it fits my grip nicely. That said, I still shoot my full-sized 9 and both of my full-sized Colt 45 pistols, my 22 revolver, and I like to shoot my "assault" rifles (yes, I went ahead and bought them) and shotguns. Hand size doesn't matter as much as grip size or grip position in my opinion. What else matters is the *feel* of the firearm when you hold it in your hands or up against your shoulder, and your hand, wrist, and arm strength. Proper training matters, too. I'm glad you have someone who will go to the range with you. I've been lucky to have many good teachers and lots of support, I've always thought that not many women enjoyed associating with firearms. However, I recently joined an outdoor range just outside of town that's owned by a woman who shoots Cowboy Shooting. Sweet! Not that it matters who owns it really, I'm just tickled at the thought.

I like the advice that was given below.:agree: My 2 cents added, go to a store that has a large selection of pistols and revolvers (I like the huge selection at the Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas but I don't know if all Bass Pro Shops sell firearms) and try out your grip on every single one, *grin* well, maybe a dozen or so different makes and models and sizes and calibers. Firearms are like cars, you have to find the one you feel comfortable sitting in. Also, do your due diligence online and find out about the different sizes of bullets. They might all look alike to the novice but they are altogether different when being fired as projectiles. Usually, the larger or longer they are, the more *kick.* Also, ask about how the pistol or revolver handles when being shot, how much of that *kick* there is, where the empty cartridges go flying to (yes that can be hazardous w/out goggles and hat and protective clothing,) and everything else you can think of. Take your dad with you to the store. He will probably have more questions to ask for you than you would have. Last, don't ever forget your hearing protection! :nono: My ears ring even with double protection, a sign of hearing loss. No need for that! Huh? What'd U say? Can't hear ya!

Last edited:
I wish I could still run like before (back pain forced me to quit). A friend and I started running in the Army, and my addiction to it returned months after arrival back home. :hang2: A handgun, and sometimes a dog, were the best companions I could find. I chose to run in the woods, at all times of the day and night. During hunting season, nighttime was safest.

A handgun can give you the confidence to go places you might would otherwise be afraid to go. What did I think I might need protection against? Critters such as bears and big cats, and people. The only things I ever chose to shoot were snakes and armadillos.

It is our right and responsibility to defend our loved ones and ourselves!:victory:

Running at nighttime seems a little nervewracking! :unsure: I've never lived in an area where the wilderness is the concern, it's always been people. I found in interest in handguns and self protection for a few reasons: I'm interested in criminal justice for a career; and being a young female, I really dislike feeling completely vulnerable and unable to defend myself should the situation arise. But that's just my personal opinion :smile: I'm still trying to sort through how I feel about guns as far as self-protection is concerned, at least for my personal use, and I enjoy hearing more about it and other's opinions :smile:.

Keep up the good work Templar and welcome GabbyDP. By the way I have carried before when I ran.

Welcome aboard. I have medium-sized women's hands though they are small maybe by most men's standards. I bought a Beretta 9 SB Compact and it fits my grip nicely. That said, I still shoot my full-sized 9 and both of my full-sized Colt 45 pistols, my 22 revolver, and I like to shoot my "assault" rifles (yes, I went ahead and bought them) and shotguns. Hand size doesn't matter as much as grip size or grip position in my opinion. What else matters is the *feel* of the firearm when you hold it in your hands or up against your shoulder, and your hand, wrist, and arm strength. Proper training matters, too. I'm glad you have someone who will go to the range with you. I've been lucky to have many good teachers and lots of support, I've always thought that not many women enjoyed associating with firearms. However, I recently joined an outdoor range just outside of town that's owned by a woman who shoots Cowboy Shooting. Sweet! Not that it matters who owns it really, I'm just tickled at the thought.

I like the advice that was given below.:agree: My 2 cents added, go to a store that has a large selection of pistols and revolvers (I like the huge selection at the Bass Pro Shop in Las Vegas but I don't know if all Bass Pro Shops sell firearms) and try out your grip on every single one, *grin* well, maybe a dozen or so different makes and models and sizes and calibers. Firearms are like cars, you have to find the one you feel comfortable sitting in. Also, do your due diligence online and find out about the different sizes of bullets. They might all look alike to the novice but they are altogether different when being fired as projectiles. Usually, the larger or longer they are, the more *kick.* Also, ask about how the pistol or revolver handles when being shot, how much of that *kick* there is, where the empty cartridges go flying to (yes that can be hazardous w/out goggles and hat and protective clothing,) and everything else you can think of. Take your dad with you to the store. He will probably have more questions to ask for you than you would have. Last, don't ever forget your hearing protection! :nono: My ears ring even with double protection, a sign of hearing loss. No need for that! Huh? What'd U say? Can't hear ya!

To start, thank you for your support and suggestions! :smile: I understand where you're coming from when you mentioned that it's nice to have support from other women, because I agree, for the most part it's assumed that women do not associate with firearms. However, completely incorrect assumption! :smile: Personally, I think it's all the more important that we do have women that have an interest in firearms and self-protection.

I am definitely aware of the "kick" and where the cartridges go! The glocks tend to throw the cartridges down my shirt, so for now I'll stick to turtle necks while at the range! :victory: And the "kick" still tends to make me nervous. I'm assuming this is due to a lack of experience and general practice and that it will get better with time, but for now my aim is significantly worse when I'm concerned about the recoil! Safety goggles and hearing protection is always exercised, I welcome reminders and recinforcements though :smiles:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back