Nevada CCW Is Honored In Arizona, Yet

gdcleanfun

Banned
... I'm wondering, are there any instructors here for both Nevada and Arizona who might be able to answer my questions:

1.) Are there any general or specific restrictions in Arizona that we should be aware of before we cross the state line from Nevada to Arizona in our motor home, such as the old laws that Nevada used to have with some cities, or other restrictions or specifically where cc is not allowed?

I must not be entering the correct search terms because I've searched endlessly here on this site and online and I cannot find anything. I hope that because I cannot find anything that it means that there aren't any, but I'm not going to assume that! Maybe some one knows of a site that is better, more current, than concealedcarry.net. Their info isn't up to date.

2.) I'm also wondering if motor homes are still being searched before crossing Boulder/Hoover Dam?

3.) Lastly, can we even carry in our motor home in Arizona, or are there restrictions for vehicle carry?

We both have current and valid CCWs from Nevada. Thank you :thank_you2: in advance for your responses.

AZ has a pre-emption law so local auntorities may not pass laws that override the state's. Handguns may be loaded and in plain sight in vehicles. AZ recognizes all out-of-state permits.

You should be fine in AZ, but I don't know anything about the damn dam.

Last edited:
Nevada CCW

I think you will find Arizona gun laws to be more forgiving than those of Nevada. I was a resident of Arizona until August of this year, had a CCW permit, and had served as a deputy sheriff. Arizona CCW permits don't even mention the word firearm, and cover any concealable weapon. You may transport a weapon loaded in a vehicle as long as it is in plain sight or unloaded and locked in a compartment not accessible from the passenger compartment. In other words, leave it in plain sight, not concealed, unless you have a CCW permit. Hoover Dam is a federal project, so they have their own regulations that are different from either Nevada or Arizona, and I would not go against federal agents. Good luck and Happy Holidays

I think you will find Arizona gun laws to be more forgiving than those of Nevada. I was a resident of Arizona until August of this year, had a CCW permit, and had served as a deputy sheriff. Arizona CCW permits don't even mention the word firearm, and cover any concealable weapon. You may transport a weapon loaded in a vehicle as long as it is in plain sight or unloaded and locked in a compartment not accessible from the passenger compartment. In other words, leave it in plain sight, not concealed, unless you have a CCW permit. Hoover Dam is a federal project, so they have their own regulations that are different from either Nevada or Arizona, and I would not go against federal agents. Good luck and Happy Holidays

Thank you. Both hubby and I have our Nevada CCW's. That said, do you know of any Federal sites that explain the provisions covering carrying open or concealed over the dam? I find it curious that traffic is stopped on the Nevada side, but not the Arizona side. Or, is traffic stopped farther on up past the dam?

BTW, the Washington quotation in your signature line is bogus.

I found the quote on at least one internet site. Rather than harping on folks sig lines, why not stay on topic???

To answer the OP question about traveling over Hoover Dam, here's a link to some info: Link Removed

On page 3 there's a question
Can I carry weapons in my vehicle across Hoover Dam?
Yes, as long as their transport complies with state and federal standards, i.e. guns must be unloaded and in compliance with concealment laws. Also, no more than 1,000 rounds of ammunition may be transported across the dam.

If you have any specific questions, you can call the "Hoover Dam Police" at: (702)494-2312.

gf

Last edited:
I found the quote on at least one internet site. Rather than harping on folks sig lines, why not stay on topic???

To answer the OP question about traveling over Hoover Dam, here's a link to some info: Link Removed

On page 3 there's a question

If you have any specific questions, you can call the "Hoover Dam Police" at: (702)494-2312.

gf

Excellent, GF, just the info I was looking for. I'll expand my search terms next time. I never thought of "Reclamation" I knew the officers were federal but I didn't know where to look. Just goes to show that "two heads are better than one." Thanks again!

AZ is a we honor all state per ARS 13-3112.U for non-residents of AZ, however dams or hydroelectric generating stations are prohibited area for both concealed and open carry under ARS 13-3102.A.13. When the dam bypass is done, the AZ prohibition will no longer be an issue. It's a gray area of AZ DPS or Mohave County Sheriffs Dept will pop you for illegal CCW on the dam. Legally they can.

You have three jurisdictions over Hoover Dam on the AZ side each with a different set of laws they enforce because they have differing jurisdictions.
  • DOI Police who patrol the dam itself
  • National park Service rangers who patrol off the dam in the Lake Mead Recreation Area.
  • AZ DPS and Mohave County Sheriffs who patrol the AZ side of the dam.
CCW in national parks will soon be allowed if your CCW is valid in the State the national park is in. This however will not do you any good with respect to AZ state law.

Last edited:
Hmm, a retired AZ sheriff's deputy and you don't know about ARS 13-3102 which is the laundry list of prohibited areas for civilian possession of firearms one of them being hydroelectric generating plants?

Last edited:
Hmm, a retired AZ sheriff's deputy and you don't know about ARS 13-3102 which is the laundry list of prohibited areas for civilian possession of firearms one of them being hydroelectric generating plants?

Great info netentity. I wasn't aware of the hydro-electric plant prohibition, though did know that they don't allow carry in the Dam. At the entrance to the Dam, there are metal detectors and x-ray devices. When I asked security about the restrictions on carrying while on the "Dam Tour", they stated that the it was "dam policy" and didn't provide any legal references. I thought it was strange, but figured that there was some law on the books prohibiting it. Thanks for clearing that up.

As for our friend "wuzfuz", I'm guessing that he'll state that he didn't know of the law because it wasn't on the books while he "was a fuz". I'm suspecting that the law was on the books for at least as long as the CC law was on the books.

gf

Great info netentity. I wasn't aware of the hydro-electric plant prohibition, though did know that they don't allow carry in the Dam. At the entrance to the Dam, there are metal detectors and x-ray devices. When I asked security about the restrictions on carrying while on the "Dam Tour", they stated that the it was "dam policy" and didn't provide any legal references. I thought it was strange, but figured that there was some law on the books prohibiting it. Thanks for clearing that up.
The metal detectors were probably because of DOI policy since that's federal jurisidiction. When I have nothing to do, I'll research the CFR and USC prohibiting it. What makes Hoover Dam even more complex is that even if DOI allowed CCW the moment you stepped to the AZ side you'd be committing a class 4 felony.

What would happen in the AZ side of Hoover Dam instance if you were made you would get charged with the federal crime of unlawful CCW then AZ would get what's left after you've been thrown under the federal judicial bus under ARS 13-3302.A.13 which is a class 4 felony per ARS 13-3302.K. Under those circumstances you'd need a Presidential Pardon to get your RKBA back if you make it out of prison.

Bottom line with CCW over Hoover Dam, don't do it. I have driven across the Dam enough times. What I do is do National Park carry which is take an unloaded revolver with some charged speed loaders or speed strips in my center console. You can also do 18 USC 926A over Hoover Dam and be 100% legal.

Hoover Dam security will only inspect the cargo area of your vehicle. If you're driving a car or a truck with without a bed locker or cover they'll just peek in and wave you through. If you're doing an RV, moving or passenger van, they will search the interior for explosives and other contraband. Since Hoover Dam has a 1000 round limit, I would obvious go by way of Laughlin. There are some training facilities in AZ; Gunsite, Saurez International and Turnipseed. Since I'd be bringing a large qty of ammo, I would go by way of Laughlin then through Bullhead City. If the original poster is going to be well stocked with ammo then you can't go over Hoover Dam because of the hazmat restrictions previously mentioned in this thread.
As for our friend "wuzfuz", I'm guessing that he'll state that he didn't know of the law because it wasn't on the books while he "was a fuz". I'm suspecting that the law was on the books for at least as long as the CC law was on the books.
The prohibited areas under ARS 13-3302 apply to both open and concealed carry. I suspect that was on the books before AZ went shall issue back in 1995. AZ has been a gold star open carry State since it became a State. Unfortunately the ARS does not give you an online history of the various statutes. Nevada has a history summary at the bottom of each statute on the years it was changed so you can get an idea of how old a given NRS is.

Nevada CCW

Netentity asked how I could not know about the section of the ARS that covered hydroelectric generation plants. Pinal County has no hydro plants, and with the 13 code, the 28 code and all we have to keep track of, the hydroelectric plants are really not a priority in the desert between Phoenx and Tucson. We tend to ignore or skim over articles of the law which we will not be enforcing, due to the regional aspects of the state. For instance, roads requiring chains when it snows, from 1974 to 1990, I saw snow on the ground in my district one time and it lasted less than an hour. ROFLMAO.

Merry Christmas, if you are Christian, if not, then celebrate your winter holiday in good health.

Last edited:
Netentity asked how I could not know about the section of the ARS that covered hydroelectric generation plants. Pinal County has no hydro plants, and with the 13 code, the 28 code and all we have to keep track of, the hydroelectric plants are really not a priority in the desert between Phoenx and Tucson. We tend to ignore or skim over articles of the law which we will not be enforcing, due to the regional aspects of the state. For instance, roads requiring chains when it snows, from 1974 to 1990, I saw snow on the ground in my district one time and it lasted less than an hour. ROFLMAO.
ARS 13-3102 covers all offenses pertaining to misconduct with weapons except for possession of a firearm in an establishment that serves alcohol which is a liquor offense under Link Removed. So you mean to tell me during your career and academy training as deputy sheriff you never been on a call, cited or arrested anyone for any sort of misconduct with a weapon which would be a violation of ARS 13-3102? So you have no schools in that section of rural AZ?

This also wasn't covered during your alleged training to get your retirement "may issue" CCW training either?

Bogus? Have you a source? Thx.

Hi. Putting the words of your quote into Google will find many sources for this quote's falsity. I did it once before to reserch it, now it's up to you.

Another poster here said he "found it" on other sites. This is not exactly a sensible or responsible way to verify a quotation. Actually, it seems kinda brain-dead to me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back