Night sites

Best tritium night sites

• Total voters

Austin

Yet another opinion poll.

I will be putting some tritium night sites on my HK USP 40C and want to get the best ones. I am sure that you all have opinions on the best ones so I am going to do a poll with the ones that I know about. If I am missing a type (and they are good) please let me know. I will be getting and installing the one that is voted the best.

Before you ask, my HK did not come with night sites on it because I bought the all weather (silver color) slide and that was not an option.

Last edited:
I am a little surprised that this is so one-sided. I am definitely interested to see where this goes.

I am not sure which is the best because I have not tried them all but again I think Trijicon is the type on my gun.

Trijicon, Meprolight and Glock get their saphires from the same place. Only difference is in the housing. I like the low profile of the Trijicon and Glock sights. The Meprolight rear sight has an extra groove in it where dirt and debris can get caught. Not sure why it's there, but don't like it.

gf

Night sites (sic)

I just viewed a DVD put out by Crimson Trace. Hopefully, one day I will be able to get CT grips for my XD-45. In the DVD, one of the gun pros, I believe it was Hackathorn, said night sights are really not a good idea on a defense gun, compared to laser sights, as you must bring the gun up to eye level for them to be effective. Laser sights can be used to m the handgun in many circumstances where night sights would be useless. If you want night sights, that is up to you. That is what makes America great, choice. For me, however, vision and other considerations make laser sights a better option.

I just viewed a DVD put out by Crimson Trace. Hopefully, one day I will be able to get CT grips for my XD-45. In the DVD, one of the gun pros, I believe it was Hackathorn, said night sights are really not a good idea on a defense gun, compared to laser sights, as you must bring the gun up to eye level for them to be effective. Laser sights can be used to m the handgun in many circumstances where night sights would be useless. If you want night sights, that is up to you. That is what makes America great, choice. For me, however, vision and other considerations make laser sights a better option.

Believe all of the marketing hype that you want about laser sights. That's your choice. Keep in mind that a great number of LE agencies issue firearms with night sights. You don't hear much about firearms issued with "laser sights". I would think as a "former LEO" you would know this. There are many ways of aiming a firearm when you're not able to get a clear sight picture. I won't go into details here, but rest assured, the techniques are taught to various LE and military personnel. Ask ANY seasoned shooter who knows firearms and they will tell you that night sights are an excellent choice for any self defense firearm. Contrary to the beilef of some on this sight, laser sights have serious limitations. For starters, shots don't always hit "point of aim". Point of impact will vary at various distances. The ideal range for laser sights is 50 feet, as this is how they come "sighted in" from the factory. As most SD trainers are aware, you are likely to use your firearm for SD at a range between 7 - 21 feet. The point of impact of laser sights will be a lot different at 7 feet than it would be at 21 feet.

Unlike laser sights, night sights don't require batteries so you won't have to worry about a "short circuit" if your firearm gets wet or the batteries running down. There are numerous advantages for both, but given a choice, I'd take night sights over laser sights.

It's important to train with your SD firearms. Train properly and train well under various conditions if possible. Be wary of what you read on the internet. Some folks have good intentions, but provide "bad" advice. This "bad" advice may end up getting you killed or seriously injured when it really matters.

Be safe, happy shooting!

gf

I have the Truglo tritium fiber optic front sight on my Sig P229 Equinox. The rear is the Siglite night sight. They make a good combination.

One benefit of night sights that I really enjoy is the ability to locate and correctly pick up my pistol in a completely dark room.

Trijicon, Meprolight and Glock get their saphires from the same place. Only difference is in the housing. I like the low profile of the Trijicon and Glock sights. The Meprolight rear sight has an extra groove in it where dirt and debris can get caught. Not sure why it's there, but don't like it.

gf

Very good info, thanks!!

For starters, shots don't always hit "point of aim". Point of impact will vary at various distances. The ideal range for laser sights is 50 feet, as this is how they come "sighted in" from the factory. As most SD trainers are aware, you are likely to use your firearm for SD at a range between 7 - 21 feet. The point of impact of laser sights will be a lot different at 7 feet than it would be at 21 feet.

Unlike laser sights, night sights don't require batteries so you won't have to worry about a "short circuit" if your firearm gets wet or the batteries running down. There are numerous advantages for both

Be safe, happy shooting!gf

Why not have both if your gun is able? Then you can enjoy the best of both worlds. As far as point of impact, the laser beam is projected less than 1" from the bore and intersects the bullet path at 50'. Therefore the point of impact would not be more than 1" off at any distance out to 50' and would still be very close for a bit farther. I've been trying to get night sights for my Taurus Millenniums for a while. Found that PT is the only company that makes them. Problem is they are in the middle of filling a large government contract and will be out of stock at least until the middle of January, BUMMER:mad: I've owned PT Night Sights in the past and found them to be top quality. PT also offers a variety of color combinations. Green is the only color available for the front, but the rear can be had in green, blue, red, orange, or yellow. They also offer green bar arrangements for the rear sights.

http://www.ptnightsights.com/

Last edited:
Keep in mind that a great number of LE agencies issue firearms with night sights. You don't hear much about firearms issued with "laser sights"

Keep in mind that a great number of LE agencies refused to use hollow point bullets for decades. What the LE agencies are doing is not necessarily the best solution and their requirements are different than that of a civilian.

Contrary to the beilef of some on this sight, laser sights have serious limitations. For starters, shots don't always hit "point of aim".

Which is absolutely the same as with "night sights" or any other fixed handgun sights.

As most SD trainers are aware, you are likely to use your firearm for SD at a range between 7 - 21 feet. The point of impact of laser sights will be a lot different at 7 feet than it would be at 21 feet.

And how different would that be? Less than an inch I bet.

There are numerous advantages for both, but given a choice, I'd take night sights over laser sights.

In that we agree except that I'd take laser sights over night sights and both over either.

I have the Truglo tritium fiber optic front sight on my Sig P229 Equinox. The rear is the Siglite night sight. They make a good combination.

One benefit of night sights that I really enjoy is the ability to locate and correctly pick up my pistol in a completely dark room.

+1. It is nice to see those little dots when reaching for it in the dark. Unlike laser sights that everyone including the bad guy can see when you level the gun on him only you see the night sights. Also nothing mechanical to go wrong with night sights. Another thing is except for the type of laser sights that replace the guide rod on the fire arm, and they are quite expensive, laser sights mean adding on to the gun. I am not a big fan of a lot of added things on a concealed carry handgun.

My only problem w/ the laser issue is that the BG could also trace back the laser to where you are standing, if you are in the "All Concealing Shadows" That is one of the aother reasons I would not have a comensator on a carry piece. 1) it blinds 2) more flash for them to see .... just my humble opinion

Oh, BTW, I have the Trujicons on my Glock 30, and I agree, it definately IS easier to see in a dark room

I have TruGlo TFOs on all my XDs and have never had a problem with them at all.

I really like the concept of the TFO's. the fiber optics to make them brighter in the day, and the tritium to be enhanced by the fiber optics at night. sounds like a winner to me.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back