"Printing" in Arkansas

Durendal

Threadkiller
I am signed up for my CCW class coming up soon, and I have a question for people living in Arkansas. I have read every law I could find about carrying concealed, but no mention of anything regarding printing of your weapon. How "concealed" is concealed here?

you can print all you want, as long as it is "concealed"..if printing is going to cause you worry, then try hard not to print by dressing to conceal..its really pretty simple.

I had my CHL class Saturday, and I asked Lt. Scott Lewis of the Springdale PD about printing, and his answer made me kind of nervous. He said there are no laws about "printing", but he said if someone called the police about my gun, the first time I would probably get a warning. More than once and the cops would call the state police and recommend my license get revoked.

I had my CHL class Saturday, and I asked Lt. Scott Lewis of the Springdale PD about printing, and his answer made me kind of nervous. He said there are no laws about "printing", but he said if someone called the police about my gun, the first time I would probably get a warning. More than once and the cops would call the state police and recommend my license get revoked.

Hence why you should learn how to dress properly and not "print". I haven't had any problems with printing. I check and double check myself before going out in public.

gf

Hence why you should learn how to dress properly and not "print". I haven't had any problems with printing. I check and double check myself before going out in public.

gf

I understand what you mean. I just wonder why the law says I don't have to worry about printing, but the cops say I do. Oh well. I guess I'll have to make them happy too.

I understand what you mean. I just wonder why the law says I don't have to worry about printing, but the cops say I do. Oh well. I guess I'll have to make them happy too.

It's not about making the LEO "happy" as much as it would be knowing the law and doing your best to comply. The law may not specifically state that "printing" is illegal, but there may be language in the law with regard to the definition of "concealed". If a casual observer can tell that you're carrying, then it isn't exactly "concealed" is it? True that the observer wouldn't know if it's a "real" gun or not, but in any case, it would be reasonable to believe that it is. Do it enough times and I'm sure that someone will do something about it.

There are many options out there for responsible CC. I'm sure that you'll find a few that will fit your particular situation.

Good luck, and stay safe!

gf

as a card carring gun toter, I "assume" the risks involved with carring a fire arm. If I don't dress to conceal, then I assume the risk of being caught/ratted out on. I take steps to "minimize that risk by dress to conceal. All it would take is a call to the local PD abt a complaint of, man with a gun...won't do you any good and almost gives the rest of us a black eye..print all you want, but assume the risks that go with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on going around in skin tight clothes with a billboard saying "LOOK AT ME!". I was just hoping for some kind of legal cushion, for those "just in case" times. Unless I sacrifice speed and access for deep concealment, like a SmartCarry or Thunderwear, I realize I won't be perfectly concealed all the time, every time. I'm not trying to be irresponsible, just careful.

You're a new carrier....it's normal to be paranoid that the whole world is looking at you and knows you're carrying. That feeling will go away with time. An untucked shirt goes a long way. Just about everyone nowadays has something clipped to their belt. There's no way of telling, without pulling up your shirt, if that lump is the grip of a 1911, an insulin pump, or a cell phone holder.

Printing

Coolidge, AZ PD had a case once where a city officer arrested a guy in a bar for CCW. The case came before the city magistrate, who asked the officer what led him to believe the man was carrying concealed. The officer stated he could see the outline of the gun through the guy's t-shirt. The magistrate looked at the officer like he had three heads and said, "Then it wasn't concealed very well, was it? Case dismissed." He then told the officer that because he cited for the wrong offense, the guy would receive no punishment, so everyone's time had been wasted. He told the officer if he had cited him for having a firearm in a bar, he could have gotten a conviction. But a non-concealed concealed weapon? Never.

You can also do as most of the permit holders I know do. Simply start buying shirts and jackets that are one or two sizes larger than you usually wear. They are baggy enough that it is not easy to tell if you are carrying or not. This also makes it easier for you to get to it if needed. Mostly just use common sense and if you are concerned, check yourself in a mirror before you leave the house.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not planning on going around in skin tight clothes with a billboard saying "LOOK AT ME!". I was just hoping for some kind of legal cushion, for those "just in case" times. Unless I sacrifice speed and access for deep concealment, like a SmartCarry or Thunderwear, I realize I won't be perfectly concealed all the time, every time. I'm not trying to be irresponsible, just careful.

I use smartcarry and have for over 5 years now. Not that slow and remember that slow and steady wins over fast and sloppy. Practice with what ever bear you choose and you willl probably need to change your dress around your weapon and holster system. If it's a larger sized pants for IWB or larger hem for ankle holster, larger jacket for some holsters. It all depends.
Find a trusted friend to check out your wear. YOU will always see the buldge, but with 5 years of smart carry I can tell you I have never been made. I aplaud you on being worried about being discreet, last thing I want to do is scare grandma at the local Wally World and get pulled into the back room by the local LEO about a "man with a gun" call. but don't worry to much about it. Most of the guys that get that call where pretty cavalier in their carry method. A light jacket blowing in the wind while they carry like they see in the movies.
I've been a big advocate on everyone that wants to should carry and carry often, where legal. But chose open carry or concealed carry for that day and if your concealed then stay concealed.

Thanks for everyone's input! My permit finally came in on the 21st of February, and I've been carrying since. All my worries and concerns were blown away (pardon the pun) once I actually left the house with it. All my practice at home, combined with the new wardrobe and IWB holster, and everything feels comfortable and looks natural. I will need to find a smaller gun than my P99 for summer carry, since Arkansas summers have been unforgiving as of late. Good excuse to talk the little lady into letting me have another! Plus, I can leave her the P99 at the house, then switch when it gets colder. As far as open carry, here's hoping Arkansas joins the club soon.

Hello from bella vista! I also want to take the class to carry, can I ask where you went? I have seen places on the internet but most are around the ft. smith area. Thanx :triniti:

Thanks for everyone's input! My permit finally came in on the 21st of February, and I've been carrying since. All my worries and concerns were blown away (pardon the pun) once I actually left the house with it. All my practice at home, combined with the new wardrobe and IWB holster, and everything feels comfortable and looks natural. I will need to find a smaller gun than my P99 for summer carry, since Arkansas summers have been unforgiving as of late. Good excuse to talk the little lady into letting me have another! Plus, I can leave her the P99 at the house, then switch when it gets colder. As far as open carry, here's hoping Arkansas joins the club soon.

Be sure that she's proficient with every firearm she's going to be using for SD. That means not onliy knowing how it works, but also going to the range and firing enough rounds to be confident and proficient with the firearm. Don't forget to fire both "target" and "carry" or "self defense" rounds.

gf

Be sure that she's proficient with every firearm she's going to be using for SD. That means not onliy knowing how it works, but also going to the range and firing enough rounds to be confident and proficient with the firearm. Don't forget to fire both "target" and "carry" or "self defense" rounds.

gf

Thanks for the advice. She wants me to make sure you know she's an amazing shot :wink:. I've taken her with me every time save twice. She's pretty damn proficient with the Walther. I'm lucky enough to have a little lady that'll run home to mommy to show off her silhouette target with a big ragged hole in the middle and the head:biggrin:. She's not old enough to have a CHCL, so we've been trying to find something she can get intimately comfortable with, then carry once she's legal. Until then, I want to be able to have one with me and not leave her unarmed at her house. Of course, her daddy used to be a Kung Fu instructor, and he's got a 1911 in the closet, so I'm not that worried.

5-73-301.Definitions.

As used in this subchapter:

(1)“Concealed” means to cover from observation so as to prevent public view;

Thanks for the advice. She wants me to make sure you know she's an amazing shot :wink:. I've taken her with me every time save twice. She's pretty damn proficient with the Walther. I'm lucky enough to have a little lady that'll run home to mommy to show off her silhouette target with a big ragged hole in the middle and the head:biggrin:. She's not old enough to have a CHCL, so we've been trying to find something she can get intimately comfortable with, then carry once she's legal. Until then, I want to be able to have one with me and not leave her unarmed at her house. Of course, her daddy used to be a Kung Fu instructor, and he's got a 1911 in the closet, so I'm not that worried.

Nice to see more carrying. I have had my CCW since about the beginning here in MO. When the law passed.
Had to go the Florida route for awhile until AR recognized MO.

I am from Southwest CIty MO. I pretty much live in the Barnes and Noble store in Rogers. I read way to many books.

Nice to see everything is working out for you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back