ISP Officer killed in the line of duty.

rifleshooter474

I have spoken with Chief Hite’s assistant, at the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. She advised that you may make donations to the Fraternal Order of Police #86 at fop86.org. You will see a link with Officer Renn’s image on it—click there and there are payment options available.

Thanks for your thoughtful gesture.

Julia

Julia Manning
Executive Assistant
Office of the Superintendent

Indiana State Police

100 North Senate Avenue
Indianapolis, Indiana 46204

(317) 232-8242

FOP Local 86

The Fraternal Order of Police Lodge 86 and its membership are heartbroken with the recent loss of Officer Perry Renn. Officer Renn served with the IMPD for 22 years. He was an exceptional Officer that put on his uniform each day and served the city of Indianapolis selflessly. He was killed in the line of duty on 7/5/14. We will honor our fallen brother this week. The viewing is Thursday 7/10/14 from 2-8pm at Crown Hill. The funeral will be held at Banker's Life Fieldhouse on 7/11/14 at 11am. Both are open to the public. We appreciate the communities support during this tough time.

Howdy,

Let's keep Officer Renn's family and friends in Our thoughts and prayers.

It's always a sad day when an Officer or Fireman dies in the Line of Duty.

RIP Officer Perry Renn.

Paul

What caused his death?

Officer Perry Renn, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Indiana

Officer Renn was shot and killed when responding to a report of shots fired near the intersection of East 34th Street and Forest Manor Avenue. When Officer Renn and another officer arrived, they encountered the subject in a nearby alley. The subject opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle, fatally striking Officer Renn.

The subject, who has a lengthy criminal history, was critically wounded and was apprehended.

Officer Renn served with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department for 22 years.

You know, I hate to seem cold and callus, but why are police officers treated so special when one is killed in the line of duty? For example, where is the memorial service and donations for this guy:

City sanitation worker dies after being hit by street sweeper in Queens - NY Daily News

Steven Frosch, 43, a married father or four, was making adjustments to his sweeper inside the Department of Sanitation garage on 48th St. in Maspeth on Saturday afternoon when he was hit by the driver of another sweeper who failed to see him, officials said.

Frosch, a married father of four who worked for the department for 15 years, died at the scene.

Where is this guy's parade of street sweepers and sanitation trucks in his honor or his memorial fund? One comment in the newspaper:
"OSHA needs to look into this."

The farmer works every day to put food in the grocery stores for my family to eat, and they are killed on the job more often then police officers are. The sanitation worker keeps my family safe by taking away our garbage every week, and they are killed on the job more often then police officers are. The logging and lumber industry worker providing wood to build the house that my family lives in is killed on the job more often then police officers are. Where are their memorials and donations funds?

Officer Perry Renn, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department, Indiana

Officer Renn was shot and killed when responding to a report of shots fired near the intersection of East 34th Street and Forest Manor Avenue. When Officer Renn and another officer arrived, they encountered the subject in a nearby alley. The subject opened fire with a semi-automatic rifle, fatally striking Officer Renn.

The subject, who has a lengthy criminal history, was critically wounded and was apprehended.

Officer Renn served with the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department for 22 years.

Its sad none the less...at least he didn't die on another no knock raid.

Sent from my HTCONE using USA Carry mobile app

You know, I hate to seem cold and callus, but why are police officers treated so special when one is killed in the line of duty? For example, where is the memorial service and donations for this guy:

City sanitation worker dies after being hit by street sweeper in Queens - NY Daily News

Where is this guy's parade of street sweepers and sanitation trucks in his honor or his memorial fund? One comment in the newspaper:
"OSHA needs to look into this."

The farmer works every day to put food in the grocery stores for my family to eat, and they are killed on the job more often then police officers are. The sanitation worker keeps my family safe by taking away our garbage every week, and they are killed on the job more often then police officers are. The logging and lumber industry worker providing wood to build the house that my family lives in is killed on the job more often then police officers are. Where are their memorials and donations funds?

I had similar questions when I first read the thread, but thought maybe the OP had a connection to the deceased, or just wanted to memorialize him for whatever reason. I don't begrudge him that.

If you wanted to memorialize a sanitation worker just out of citizen concern, rather than just to make a point, I doubt anyone would be bothered by you starting a thread to do so. Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this thread based on nothing more than the avocation of the deceased.

Blues

Not sure why anyone would have a problem with this thread based on nothing more than the avocation of the deceased.

Blues

I have a problem in general with the pedastal that police officers are placed upon regularly.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/jacquelynsmith/2013/08/22/americas-10-deadliest-jobs-2/

The 10 Deadliest Jobs:
1. Logging workers
2. Fishers and related fishing workers
3. Aircraft pilot and flight engineers
4. Roofers
5. Structural iron and steel workers
6. Refuse and recyclable material collectors
7. Electrical power-line installers and repairers
8. Drivers/sales workers and truck drivers
9. Farmers, ranchers, and other agricultural managers
10. Construction laborers

I have a problem in general with the pedastal that police officers are placed upon regularly.

Jeesh, this one is not being put on a pedestal, he's laid to rest. His time of being held above other human beings is over.

Do what ya want Navy.

RIP Officer Renn.

Jeesh, this one is not being put on a pedestal, he's laid to rest. His time of being held above other human beings is over.

Do what ya want Navy.

RIP Officer Renn.

I think most officers that die do not get such a memorial...but the last officer to die in Eugene OR (had been some 70 years without an officer death) had 200+ officers come into town, closed the freeways, and paraded around costing tens of thousands of dollars....way over the top.

This one, doesn't seem much more than a funeral announcement and a fund raiser for the family.

America's 10 Deadliest Jobs - Forbes

The 10 Deadliest Jobs:
1. Logging workers
4. Roofers
Except for when I was in High school, All of the jobs I have had and the one I have now are on that list......

America's 10 Deadliest Jobs - Forbes

The 10 Deadliest Jobs:
1. Logging workers
4. Roofers

Ahh, so you edited while I was replying. Nice!

Drove logging trucks when I lived in WA late 70s/early 80s.
Started my welding career at Pacific Car & Railroad in Renton.
Moved back to LA to apprentice with Steelworkers and walked those beams from San Diego back up to Seattle for the next seven or eight years.
Hung signs for an electrical contractor for four years after that.
Drove over-the-road for a brief period also, but every job, and every type of job I've ever had required that I drive and operate trucks, cranes, lifts, operate on scaffolding and even rappel over the side of buildings to hang wall signs delivered by helicopter.

I know a thing or two about dangerous jobs. Hardly the point of my previous posts, or more to the point, of the OP.

You don't elevate the value of others' lost lives by devaluing the loss of any other life. The guy is no longer a cop, he's a soul meeting his Maker, and his Maker is the only One qualified at this point to judge the worth of his life. I pray that he made the cut. That is all.

Blues

his Maker is the only One qualified at this point to judge the worth of his life.

Unfortunately, a large percentage of the population of America and almost all of the politicians in this country hold a different view regarding the equality of the value of law enforcement officers' lives over those of other human beings. I am no less sorry that the officer died on the job than any other person who is killed in the line of duty. It is a tragic loss.

Just read another article that claims he had only one crime on record, possession of marijuana...gotta love the journalism.

I live in Indianapolis where Officer Renn was killed. We had a shooting the same weekend where a bunch of bars are and the party crowd hangs out where 7 bystanders were shot. One was in critical condition at the hospital - the other 6 minor injuries. What I notice is that the officer's on the news every day since. And I only saw the bar shooting once on the news and no follow up stories on the 7 who were wounded.

From what I heard the shooting at the bar was a couple of guys who had too much to drink, while Renn got shot responding to a bullets fired call. The bad guy's mom had bought the assault rifle Renn was shot with a couple years ago.

We don't see shootings like these in Indianapolis very often - interesting that I just got my CCW license a week ago.

Police and military do seem to be put on a pedestal in America, but maybe that's because they risk their lives trying to keep the rest of us safe.

I live in Indianapolis where Officer Penn was killed. We had a shooting the same weekend where a bunch of bars are and the party crowd hands out here where 7 bystanders were shot. One was in critical condition at the hospital - the other 6 minor injuries. What I notice here on this is that the officer's on the news every day since. And I only saw the other shooting once on the news and no follow up stories on the 7 who were wounded.

From what I heard the shooting at the bar was a couple of guys who had too much to drink, while Penn got shot responding to a bullets fired call. The bad guy's mom had bought the assault rifle Penn was shot with a couple years ago.

We don't see shootings like these in Indianapolis very often - interesting that I just got my CCW license a week ago.

Police and military do seem to be put on a pedestal in America, but maybe that's because they risk their lives trying to keep the rest of us safe.

Pretty new to firearms? An assault rifle was not used, they are extremely expensive. I believe a semi automatic rifle was used.

Pretty new to firearms? An assault rifle was not used, they are extremely expensive. I believe a semi automatic rifle was used.

If you say so, Firefighterchen. I'm just repeating what the local tv and newspaper reporters have reported. This is from this morning's Indianapolis Star (our local newspaper):

"At least six shots were fired from an AK-47-type assault rifle that authorities say Davis fired at Renn. Renn was hit three times, documents said.

The gunbattle lasted no more than five minutes, documents said."

And later in the same article:

"Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said that Davis' mother in 2010 bought the assault rifle used in the shooting, but there was no reason to believe the purchase was done illegally."

But... I suppose you folks in Washington know more about what happens in Indianapolis than those of us living here lol.

If you say so, Firefighterchen. I'm just repeating what the local tv and newspaper reporters have reported. This is from this morning's Indianapolis Star (our local newspaper):

"At least six shots were fired from an AK-47-type assault rifle that authorities say Davis fired at Renn. Renn was hit three times, documents said.

The gunbattle lasted no more than five minutes, documents said."

And later in the same article:

"Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry said that Davis' mother in 2010 bought the assault rifle used in the shooting, but there was no reason to believe the purchase was done illegally."

But... I suppose you folks in Washington know more about what happens in Indianapolis than those of us living here lol.

Us folks in the firearms world know that assault rifles are hard to get and are extremely expensive. Location has nothing to do with it.

Do you know what an assault rifle is?

You folks have nothing better to do than pick on newbies - as I said I posted what local authorities and media have said. Here's a link to this morning's Indianapolis Star that quotes authorities who said it was an assault rifle. I did google so have an idea of difference between semi auto and assault, and you're probably right. But, you should REALLY contact the authorities here in Indyland and explain it to them, since all I'm doing is quoting them:

Charges filed in slaying of IMPD officer Perry Renn as new details emerge

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back