Need advice traveling to South Carolina

gr9819

Hi, I am new to the board and need some advice. I have searched online and cant find the answer. My question: I am a Virginia resident and DO NOT have a concealed carry permit. I will be traveling via car to South Carolina and want to take my handgun. Do I need anything special to travel in South Carolina with the handgun in the car/trunk?

Thanks for any help.

Robert

Hello and welcome! I'm not sure about Virginia and North Carolina, which probably will be the states you are traveling through to get to South Carolina, but I live here in South Carolina and you can legally carry a loaded handgun in the glovebox or center console as long as the center console has a latching cover on it. Hope this helps.
WULFPAC

Hi, I am new to the board and need some advice. I have searched online and cant find the answer. My question: I am a Virginia resident and DO NOT have a concealed carry permit. I will be traveling via car to South Carolina and want to take my handgun. Do I need anything special to travel in South Carolina with the handgun in the car/trunk?

Thanks for any help.

Robert

IF you have NO permit, you would have to leave it in your console, gole box.

We have no open carry policy at this time...

SC it is legal to be loaded and unloacked as long as it is in you glove box, console, trunk, or other container

Last edited:
Also, keep in mind it is legal to carry the handgun concealed to or from your vehicle to your 'residence' this includes a hotel or other place you are staying while here and of course it is legal to have and carry that same gun in that 'residence.' Now, if you are staying with friends you do have to have their permission to have the gun in their house.

Also, keep in mind it is legal to carry the handgun concealed to or from your vehicle to your 'residence' this includes a hotel or other place you are staying while here and of course it is legal to have and carry that same gun in that 'residence.' Now, if you are staying with friends you do have to have their permission to have the gun in their house.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that, much like the requirement to notify LEO, only apply to those with permits? Is there any requirement in SC law for those without permits to get permission from someone residing in a home that they're about to enter?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't that, much like the requirement to notify LEO, only apply to those with permits? Is there any requirement in SC law for those without permits to get permission from someone residing in a home that they're about to enter?

Yes. You are allowed to carry a gun on private property or in a home etc. with or without a permit as long as you have permission from the owner. Also you may carry in those locations openly or concealed. Actually SC is very liberal with handgun laws on private property and very much protective of property rights. It is when you step out into the public that they get strict.

South Carolina Concealed Carry CCW Laws and Information

Link Removed

U.S. State Carry Concealed Weapon (CCW) Laws
Link Removed

Welcome to Pack-N-Go

Your Concealed Carry CCW Trip Planner

Link Removed

SOUTH CAROLINA VEHICLE CARRY LAW

Can I carry a gun in the glove box of a car
SECTION 16-23-20. Unlawful carrying of handgun; exceptions. (9) a person in a vehicle if the handgun is secured in a closed glove compartment, closed console, closed trunk, or in a closed container secured by an integral fastener and transported in the luggage compartment of the vehicle; however, this item is not violated if the glove compartment, console, or trunk is opened in the presence of a law enforcement officer for the sole purpose of retrieving a driver's license, registration, or proof of insurance.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back