Long Range Shooting

Hey Guys,

What is a good scope for long range shooting? I have only hunting scopes on my rifles and at 100 yards it is a little difficult to see the target very well. If I wanted to shoot at say 300-500 yards, what is a good scope to do that? Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Thanks,
-CAPO-

Regardless of what kind of scope you're using, you have to remember that at long distances, bullets drop, so you have to determine, based on bullet velocity, how much up/down and side to side movement there'll be in order to be accurate. Snipers are taught all of those variables, and that's why they can hit a postage stamp at 500 yards regardless of what kind of scope they're using.

Regardless of what kind of scope you're using, you have to remember that at long distances, bullets drop, so you have to determine, based on bullet velocity, how much up/down and side to side movement there'll be in order to be accurate. Snipers are taught all of those variables, and that's why they can hit a postage stamp at 500 yards regardless of what kind of scope they're using.

Good point. I am mostly looking for what is the best type of magnification to go with at long range shooting. It is something I am interested in and would love to shoot at 300+ yards. There is a range in my area that does have a 200+ yard range. I would like a scope that I can see the target pretty well in. I know wind age plays a role and the variables you mentioned also do as well. I very well could use the hunting scopes I have, however I want something that I can see the target clearly with at those ranges.

You would probably be better off with a GOOD spotting scope. I have a 15-60 older one I still use. My rifles have variables and fixed 3.5x10s' 4.5x14 8x25 some with 30mm tubes and 1" tubes most with 50mm objectives some with 40mm.

You won't go wrong with Nightforce or Leupold. I used to shoot Hipower silouette with a 10x out to 500m. Always used spotting scope and spotter.

Problems with power are paralax and mirage.

Very timely question,

That is a very timely question, I, too, have started looking for a new long gun for next year. The new bi-focals and my 2x leupold long eye relief do not get along well. I was looking at another Leupold, A VX-III 2.5-8 x36.
Go Willing and the creek don't rise, I'd like to mount that on a old friend , a M1A. Any other thoughts?

My opinion:

It depends on your budget.

The Super Sniper fixed 10 power is one of the best "bang for your buck" long range scopes available. It's also available in a fixed 16 power. These run from $330 - 430.

The Leupold Mark IV series scopes are excellent. These run from $1100 -1600.

The Nightforce NXS series scopes are the best I've seen, period. They run in the $1500 range.

I'm not sure about Leupold, but I know that the Super Sniper and Nightforce scopes are being used in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I personally use the Super Sniper fixed 10 power on my Savage Model 10FLP .308 and I plan on buying another one for my next rifle.

Along with the scope, if you really plan on going long range (1000 yard plus), look into a 20moa base so you can dial your scope in at those distances.

+ one on super sniper

My opinion:

It depends on your budget.

The Super Sniper fixed 10 power is one of the best "bang for your buck" long range scopes available. It's also available in a fixed 16 power. These run from $330 - 430.

The Leupold Mark IV series scopes are excellent. These run from $1100 -1600.

The Nightforce NXS series scopes are the best I've seen, period. They run in the $1500 range.

I'm not sure about Leupold, but I know that the Super Sniper and Nightforce scopes are being used in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I personally use the Super Sniper fixed 10 power on my Savage Model 10FLP .308 and I plan on buying another one for my next rifle.

Along with the scope, if you really plan on going long range (1000 yard plus), look into a 20moa base so you can dial your scope in at those distances.

The only affordable scope with an actual military contract!

Two other good scopes

The Millett 6x25x56AO with a mil-dot reticule and the Bushnell 10x42 with a mil-dot reticule. I own both and am pleased with the durability.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back