Let's talk magazines

Pele

VA State CCW Holder!
I'm in the market for some magazines for my Ruger P95 and my girlfriend's KelTec P11.

I can find some aftermarket magazines for cheap, or I can get factory ones for close to $30.

Anyone recommend the aftermarkets or not?

I've heard some bad stuff about the ProMag brand... I've heard good stuff about Mec Gar...

I personally got my Ruger used with two magazines, two 10 round authentic Ruger ones that work flawlessly and one aftermarket that has some quirks. The aftermarket I thought was a 15 rounder, but it appears it's a 10 round that someone tried to modify and pull the block out of the bottom of it. It'd fail to feed if I loaded more than ten rounds into it, but it works well if I only put ten rounds into it.

I'm in the market for some magazines for my Ruger P95 and my girlfriend's KelTec P11.

I can find some aftermarket magazines for cheap, or I can get factory ones for close to $30.

Anyone recommend the aftermarkets or not?

I've heard some bad stuff about the ProMag brand... I've heard good stuff about Mec Gar...

I personally got my Ruger used with two magazines, two 10 round authentic Ruger ones that work flawlessly and one aftermarket that has some quirks. The aftermarket I thought was a 15 rounder, but it appears it's a 10 round that someone tried to modify and pull the block out of the bottom of it. It'd fail to feed if I loaded more than ten rounds into it, but it works well if I only put ten rounds into it.

Unless you're shooting a 1911, I'd go with the OEM magazines whenever possible. I've noticed that there are a bunch of aftermarket magazines that have substandard springs and followers. If you're simply shooting at the range, then the aftermarket stuff is o.k., but if it's your magazines that you're carrying on a daily basis for personal protection, I'd stick to the OEM stuff. JMHO

gf

Some after market may be o.k. but as said some do not work so well. I guess the question then comes down to how much is your life worth.

Everything I've heard about Kel-Tec is to go with OEM mags. Never heard of any good aftermarkets for the P3AT, at least. Anyway, they're only $22 each.

I don't like bashing any particular company, but the worse magazines I've owned were "Pro Mags". They didn't work well in my Glock. They had feed problems in a S&W 5906 that I fired. When I called the company, they told me that they would fix the problem if I sent in the magazines. That's all fine and dandy, but if you need your gun to go "bang" and the magazine causes it to go "click", then their warranty doesn't help much at that point now does it? :nono: As HK4U put it earlier, "How much is your life worth?" The crappy "Pro Mags" I got for my G23 cost me $15 each. I can get OEM Glock mags for as low as $20 on sale, otherwise $25. For $10, I'll go with the OEM stuff. Even the 1911 mags they make are questionable. I bought 5 to use with my STI. Two of them worked fine, the other 3 had various problems like feeding and even locking in place. :eek:

There have been other models I've had problems with, but the brand that comes to mind when I thing of "crappy magazines" is "Pro Mag". :nono:

gf

Great! Now that that's settled, where's a good economical supplier for magazines?

Midway seems to be the best price I can find online @ $30 a pop, plus shipping. Out of Stock ATM.
Link Removed

You can also find some good deals on "Gunbroker.com" or "Brownell's". Best thing to do is use your favorite search engine. You'll be bound to find a good deal somewhere. I did notice that "Cheaper than dirt" was rather expensive. :confused: I guess "dirt" is getting pretty expensive. :wink:

Most of my stuff comes from the local gun shops. I check out the prices and drop some subtle hints when talking to the owners and managers. If I see an item that would be $50 shipped and it's retailing for $60, I'll make a comment to the owner/manager and they'll usually knock off a few dollars. I don't mind spending a couple of dollars more than it would be if I ordered online. The local shops are a great place for me to check stuff out. If I can find a better deal online and don't need it "yesterday", I'll order online.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back