Calling all lefties need some advice

bobmartin888

Hello I have just taken a CC course for Illinois as you know they just started taking applications for permits here. Anyways to my question I'm left handed but I'm fairly flexible on teaching myself to work around things my deer gun is for right handers and ive trained myself to use it. My grandpa has a Taurus 24/7 G2 and I like how everything is ambidextrous but I feel the trigger could be smoother. But as I look around I'm finding there aren't many other guns fully ambidextrous like the Taurus is the slide release, mag release, safety if gun has one if any of these are right only will it be harder to learn or use for EDC? Any recommendations for a gun appreciated.

Hmmm...not sure. My PX4 is ambi with the decocker and mag release, but not the slide release.

I looked at the PX4 just last last night I like the feel the one I looked at had ambi slide release and safety/decocker the mag release was right handed but can be changed. The trigger felt smooth when I dry fired How do you like it?

There are a handful of ambi semi-autos on the market. Search is your friend. Some semis have a safety that won't work as the SA below. They are way too stiff and protected.

I used an SA Champion while my XD-S was away, and it was no problem to draw left-handed and simultaneously reach over the cocked hammer with my thumb and "thumb" off the safety, index finger still extended on the frame nowhere near the trigger.

I will not use a semi-auto with a small, right-handed external safety. I prefer only a trigger or trigger and grip safety on my semi-autos.

As a left hander, my Glock 36 .45 ACP works fine. Right or left handed,like a revolver, there is no safety to think about except your brain.

Link Removed

I carry a P239 and a P224. The 239 is da/sa and I have no problems using the decocker with my index finger. My 224 is a DAK, so no decocker to worry about. I have had a M&P and switched the mag release to the right side, this felt weird so I switched it back. I use my index finger to drop the mags on all of my guns.

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk

I struggled with that same choice as well in preparation for IL carry. I tried probably a dozen guns before choosing the Beretta Nano as my carry choice. It is ambidextrous as well made for carry with smooth, snag free surfaces. It is a 9mm so it has the necessary power while allowing for 8 + 1 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

I looked at the PX4 just last last night I like the feel the one I looked at had ambi slide release and safety/decocker the mag release was right handed but can be changed. The trigger felt smooth when I dry fired How do you like it?

For me, I love it, everything about it. Recoil with .40 cal +P loads is negligible. I have the middle sized backstrap under a "Handall" grip. Fits me like a glove.

Any Glock in generation 4 allows the mag release to be switched to the other side for a fully ambidextrous firearm. This gives a wide array of firearms to choose from.

If you are looking for a carbine eventually, I would recommend the FNH PS90. It's fully ambidextrous without any modification. Casings are ejected downward, rounds are loaded from the top.

I'm a lefty too. I'm also a firearm Instructor. My suggestion is to get yourself a Glock Gen 4. The magazine release can be switched over to the left side, and you don't need to worry about safety releases because with a Glock all 3 safeties are disengaged from the trigger. It's the best self defense pistol out there. That's why so many law enforcement agencies use it. You can get a variety of calibers. Get what you like. Personally I like the .40 caliber. However whatever you do get, just practice with it as much as you can so you know full well what you're doing. Good luck.

So basically the final thought is it doesn't matter what side the slide release is on and I see all your points about safeties and understand it can be more to have to remember. As for the mag release it seems as though guns that aren't ambidextrous can be switched easily from one side to another. This greatly widens my firearms search.

The only truly left gun that is comfortable is the fns or the fnx.

Sent from my SCH-R530M using USA Carry mobile app

Hello I have just taken a CC course for Illinois as you know they just started taking applications for permits here. Anyways to my question I'm left handed but I'm fairly flexible on teaching myself to work around things my deer gun is for right handers and ive trained myself to use it. My grandpa has a Taurus 24/7 G2 and I like how everything is ambidextrous but I feel the trigger could be smoother. But as I look around I'm finding there aren't many other guns fully ambidextrous like the Taurus is the slide release, mag release, safety if gun has one if any of these are right only will it be harder to learn or use for EDC? Any recommendations for a gun appreciated.

You want a CZ-85, believe me, if you even touch one you'll know why. Link Removed

Oh, the CZ-85 Compact was only offered in .40 S&W and was a limited run on manufacture. So for a less than full size gun for CC you'd have to find a used one and not many folks sell their CZ's. I carry both a CZ-75BD and a cz-75 Compact (not at the same time) and don't have a problem with a full size gun. Only me and the 1911 guys will even suggest a full size weapon though. Sorry

The AK can be manipulated ambidextrously, and Rock River makes a fully left-handed AR (ejection port and all) as does, I believe, Rainier Arms. Shadow Ops has a lefty upper on the drawing board as well, but isn't in production yet.

Thanks for the info on ARs but I was mainly looking for pistols for concealed carry but the AR info is good to know as I hope to purchase one of those too.

Test out a Beretta Nano. Great conceal gun that is 9mm and is ambidextrous. It is also designated to be snag free on clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Link Removed

Many handguns are fully ambi, including models from H&K and Walther. Ambi mag releases (paddle) and slide locks. Holsters can be had in leftie as well.

I'm right handed with pistol (ambi really) but left eye dominant because of right eye damage. I have to shoot rifle leftie now as a result, though.

I also shoot from the left side . Having a safety that is easily accessible with the left thumb is a must ! ! ! [at least in my book] Saying that I have had a gunsmith install ambidextrous safeties on two 1911's . What I am saying is if you "fall in love" with a side arm before you buy it check with a gunsmith if a amby safety can be installed and what the cost is . That can maybe be used as a bargaining tool for a lower price ? ! ? ! ?

The sprinfield XD have the mag release on both sides already no switching it from one side to the other. The safety on the grip is a no brainer as far as using.

I ended up with a CZ P-07 as my first EDC, you can change from safety to decocker and back in 5 minutes. At the time, I didn't know if I wanted to go safety or decocker so that was a big plus AND mag release, decocker/safety are ambi. The only exception is the slide lock. As my final sales pitch for the P-07, the omega trigger is really smooth in DA and has a crisp break. For the downside, there aren't many available sight options. Personally, I left everything as is with the decocker.

I also like gnat's recommendation for the CZ 85, but expect to have some trigger work done to really get the most out of it. IMHO. You might like the CZ P-01 instead.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BFerguson
Back