Illinois Concealed Carry

Buff1948

Hi everyone, I'm new here, just joined the forums today. I just finished my IL concealed carry class yesterday. Instructor was IL State Trooper. Seemed very knowledgeable. He talked quit a bit about getting sued if you shoot someone and to make sure your homeowners liability insurance covers you for a justified shooting. Has anyone here checked into the insurance issue to see what companies will or will not cover that situation. I contacted my insurance company yesterday after the class to inquire. They are supposed to get back to me today. I have State Farm.

Try Google. At my CHL class in Houston there was a representative from Texas Law Shield that sold insurance for about $100 per year. They say they cover you for about any gun related issue that may come up. Seems to be a wise investment to protect you when you are forced to protect yourself.

Just heard back from my insurance company. The agent stated that my homeowers liability would cover me anywhere. They are sending me something in writing. We'll see what it says. Thanks for your help and suggestions.

So when you get all done what's it going to end up costing you to legally carry in Illinois? Between classes, fingerprints, everything. I'm guessing $500.

Try Google. At my CHL class in Houston there was a representative from Texas Law Shield that sold insurance for about $100 per year. They say they cover you for about any gun related issue that may come up. Seems to be a wise investment to protect you when you are forced to protect yourself.

My wife and I signed up with Texas Law Shield at our CHL class.

I have Texas law shield and besides covering you in shooting they hold classes on the law and if you have a gun question they do respond quickly with information.

So when you get all done what's it going to end up costing you to legally carry in Illinois? Between classes, fingerprints, everything. I'm guessing $500.

Thats pretty close to the cost. Most are charging $250-$280 for 16 hours training. Then $150 for resident license or $300 for non-resident. Fingerprint prices vary. For old style ink cards charges are around $20 or digital prints most companies are charging $55-$75. So if you are going to carry in Illinois its going to cost in the range of $500. You can thank Chicago Dems and Gov Quinn for that. They havent seen a pocket they wont pick. I dont have a problem with requiring training for CCW but Illinois isnt done yet. Quinn and the Chicago Dems are still trying to revisit some of the CCW Laws and they continue to push for magazine capacity limits.

The class was $235 ($200 for class and $35 for range time) for the 8 hour concealed carry course, the license is $150 for 5 years. The instructor (IL State Trooper) said that fingerprints are not required in IL. Says that fingerprints are supposed to get you the carry permit 30 days quicker. But like he said, "you've done without a carry permit for 50 years, why give someone $50 or $60 for fingerprints just to get the permit 30 days quicker?". It was a good class. I see some places are giving it for $125 or so for just the 8 hour course. Prior military folks only have to take the 8 concealed carry course. Non-military have to take the 8 hour NRA basic pistol course or some similar training along with the 8 concealed carry course. So you are pretty close, it's going to cost me $385. If I chose to be fingerprinted it would be about $450 total. Illinois likes our money!!

I received a written confirmation from my State Farm agent stating that my homeowners liability would cover me anywhere in the world and it also covers any concealed carry situations. I am assuming that means a shooting has to be justified.

I received a written confirmation from my State Farm agent stating that my homeowners liability would cover me anywhere in the world and it also covers any concealed carry situations. I am assuming that means a shooting has to be justified.

That's great info. I am going to call my agent on Monday. My wife and I have Texas Law Shield, and I intend to keep it, but if State Farm is covering me too, that will be great for the costs that TLS doesn't cover, including expert witnesses. If State Farm covers, then I can afford Mas Ayoob!

Don't forget, though, insurance reimburses, so you could go out of pocket $50,000 or more before you get a nickel back. TLS gives you a hot line phone number to a gun-law attorney, so you have immediate coverage with no out of pocket. Extras could bite you later, and that's where SF may be a help. I'm definitely calling--make that visiting--Monday.

Sent using Link Removed...so please excuse the typos!

Do not forget USCCA has a program 3 different options it will not be sorry if you check them out"

Sent from my LG-MS770 using USA Carry mobile app

I live in Iowa right on the border of ILL. and would like to get my ILL. permit but it would take all my month check of my SSI to do this. WTH!!! Why so much for ILL. permit's when Iowa is only $50 for your class and the permit is $25. Money Grabers anyway.

Yes they are money grabbers. This is not a pro gun Legislature. The idea is to discourage you from wanting to own a gun much less carry it. Last week the radio had an interview with Crook County Sheriff Tom Dart. The subject was CC. He sees all kinds of problems with CC in Illinois. Right now they are having classes for the cops. They need all new procedures for traffic stops. Currently they have never had to deal with thousands of Legal CC motorists on the road. The cops are going to be nervous for awhile until they get use to a new routine. He also expected a huge number of applicants for CC permits. While all the rules have not been cast in stone yet, the legislature is telling him he has 30 days to verify an application. But they gave him no new people and no budget to get that done. So you can expect long waits. Couple that with the State being broke and you can expect to pay through the nose for CC permits .

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back