Crunchy trigger on brand new S&W M&P9

9mm in Eugene

I bought a range kit S&W M&P9 (3 magazines, speed loader, belt holster & 2 mag holster) last week and used it at the range yesterday.

The Trigger feels crunchy, which I think put off my aim somewhat (pulling left & down). I know this is caused by flinching, but the feel of the trigger is what made me flinch (I shot a Glock 17 much more accurately during the same range visit).

Any suggestions (e.g. cleaning, lubricating?) as to how to take the 'crunch' out of the trigger, or is this normal on this model, or for S&W semi-autos generally?

Triggers for the M&P 9's I have handled have been pretty smooth right out of the box. I personally don't care for the feel of the M&P safety trigger (I prefer the feel of the Springfield safety trigger), but not because it feels crunchy or gritty. I would get in touch with S&W to see what they would recommend. I recently used the M&P 9 for a shoot/no shoot training, and found the trigger to be very usable and the firearm to be very accurate. Again, just not my personal first choice for a firearm; a couple of others fit me better.

An Apex trigger job is the standard solution for out-of-the box S&W M&P trigger deficiencies. I had a gunsmith do it to my M&P/9 even though they're supposedly they're easy to install. Then I got rid of it, together with all my other DA/SA guns.

Thanks for the answers.

It seems a shame that having spent $540 on the M&P I may now have to dish out another $86 or thereabouts to make it not feel like I'm crushing potato chips under my index finger, but from reading the reviews on the Apex it seems like it'd be worth it.

Knowing S&W's reputation and years of experience I'd have thought they could do a better job. This may be the last S&W I ever buy.

Thanks for the answers.

It seems a shame that having spent $540 on the M&P I may now have to dish out another $86 or thereabouts to make it not feel like I'm crushing potato chips under my index finger, but from reading the reviews on the Apex it seems like it'd be worth it.

Knowing S&W's reputation and years of experience I'd have thought they could do a better job. This may be the last S&W I ever buy.
My wife wanted one of these as it was the only 9mm she could rack reliably. That trigger was the dealbreaker, however. The search continues.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back