From WI to FL

JakeCC

Hi all,

I will be heading from WI to FL in a few week and have a few questions. I do hold a WI cc permit but when I check my states reciprocity I notice that my permit is not valid in IL (state Ill be passing threw) and FL (my final destination).

Questions.

1.) How can I pass threw IL with my firearm legally? Locked in a case in the rear of my SUV with bullets in a different area? Please advise.

2.) How can I go threw FL to my destination with my firearm legally? (Locked in a case in the rear of my SUV with bullets in a different area)?

3.) When at my destination in FL I know that I can't cc in this state but can I travel around with my firearm in my SUV legally (locked in a case with bullets in a different area) or do I need to leave it at my rental home? I would like to have it with me at least in my SUV but want to be legal. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

NRA-ILA | Guide To The Interstate Transportation

That should answer all you questions.
Get a Florida non-resident permit and that will take care of things on that end.

I have the same issues going to Az each winter. I now have an Arizona permit and Wisconsin. Since I have no reason to go through Ill, I'm good to go.

Look at this link also: Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry

Have a safe trip, We are leaving Sunday for Az.

Thanks for the info... I don't think I will have enough time to get my non-resident FL permit as I am leaving in about a two weeks. The website says it takes up to 90 days. From the info you sent it sounds like unless I have my FL non-res permit I wont be able to just leave it in my SUV while driving around town (unless I'm going to a range). I think ill be "going to the range'' daily while I am there! lol... At least it will be in my ride. Thanks Again and you have a safe trip also!

In FL you don't need a CWP to have your gun in the car, you do need to have it in a securely encased.

790.001(17) “Securely encased” means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

This is the particular law for traveling with a gun in your car.
790.25(3) LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:...
...(l) A person traveling by private conveyance when the weapon is securely encased or in a public conveyance when the weapon is securely encased and not in the person’s manual possession;...
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

Make sure you read the laws before traveling to the state(s) you plan on visiting. Don't relay solely on people of the internet, some of us make mistakes.

Full 790 Gun Statutes
http://www.leg.state.fl.us/Statutes...ute&URL=0700-0799/0790/0790ContentsIndex.html

Call the Florida Dept of Safety, they can fill you in on all their laws.
I called the Departments of Safety in Texas and New Mexico the first time we went out. Both states allow you to have the loaded gun in your car, it had to be concealed. Glove compartment, etc. That was a surprise as it's treated as open carry in Wi and can't be concealed. I had them email me the information, printed it, and carried it with that first year.

You can't.

18 USC § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms | Title 18 - Crimes and Criminal Procedure | U.S. Code | LII / Legal Information Institute

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

Please read the underlined section. If you are going from WI to FL, and you cannot legally carry in FL, then you are not granted, under the Federal Statute, safe passage. If, however, you were going from WI to a state that you are allowed to carry in then you are granted, under this statute, safe passage through any state that does not allow you to carry.

Good point Wolf, Going to Az before I had the Non-res Az permit wasn't a problem, Az allows you to carry and my Wi permit was excepted there.
This is why I suggested calling the Fl Dept of Safety to clarify all rules.

Forgive my rudeness JakeCC. Welcome to the forums.

Also, I welcome any challenge to what I posted concerning 18 USC 926A. If I am incorrect and there is a legal way for JakeCC to travel through and in FL legally, please let us know.

Always be mindful, we are not lawyers, but have been down some of these roads (pun not intended) before.

As to passing thru Illinois, a recent Illinois Supreme Court says gun owners can carry weapons in the storage boxes built into their cars. This article was posted in The Associated Press 10-12-2009. I would suggest that you go to the following to search further: Link Removed.

Hi all,

I will be heading from WI to FL in a few week and have a few questions. I do hold a WI cc permit but when I check my states reciprocity I notice that my permit is not valid in IL (state Ill be passing threw) and FL (my final destination).

Questions.

1.) How can I pass threw IL with my firearm legally? Locked in a case in the rear of my SUV with bullets in a different area? Please advise.

2.) How can I go threw FL to my destination with my firearm legally? (Locked in a case in the rear of my SUV with bullets in a different area)?

3.) When at my destination in FL I know that I can't cc in this state but can I travel around with my firearm in my SUV legally (locked in a case with bullets in a different area) or do I need to leave it at my rental home? I would like to have it with me at least in my SUV but want to be legal. Please advise.

Thanks in advance!

Forgive my rudeness JakeCC. Welcome to the forums.

Also, I welcome any challenge to what I posted concerning 18 USC 926A. If I am incorrect and there is a legal way for JakeCC to travel through and in FL legally, please let us know.

Always be mindful, we are not lawyers, but have been down some of these roads (pun not intended) before.

Could he travel from WI to GA or AL going thru FL?

Actually, anyone that posses a carry license, while driving or remaining in their vehicle, can continue to carry thru the state of Illinios. Although Illinois residence cannot carry in the state, everyone else that has a license can. Of course there is a limitation - which is only while you are in your vehicle. If you leave your vehicle, the handgun must stay within the locked vehicle (or a locked case, in your car - preferably both). This went into effect immediately. Check it out in the ISP website - under Out-Of-State concealed carry.

Illinois State Police | Concealed Carry FAQ

Jake,

As long as you are in your vehicle in IL you may carry. (I have thee same situation.) They call that "Safe Passage".
If you get out of your vehicle you must leave the firearm in the glove box or console - and lock the vehicle!
Alternatively you may: (1) unload the firearm, (2) carry the unloaded firearm and ammunition to the trunk of your vehicle,
(3) put the firearm in a secured container and the ammo in another one and (4) lock the trunk.

Why don't you get a Utah non-resident CCW permit? If yo need to find a class I can help.

David W. Barrow III, JD
[email protected]

We have a home in Florida and prior to getting my FL non-resident permit, we could legally transport (secured in a case, ammo in separate location) to our home. Even now, depending on our route, we have to unload and secure our weapons when traveling in Maryland and South Carolina, plus more recently PA which now accepts only FL resident permits.

Florida considers your car an extension of your home, so we could keep a gun in the glove compartment or console. But that's considering we own a home there. I'm not sure if that applies to a rental home, so my advice would be to contact the State Police of Attorney Generals office to see how FL law applies....best via email or other written communication so you can have it with you.

Could he travel from WI to GA or AL going thru FL?

The way I read 18 USC 926, your final destination in your trip must be a state in which you can legally carry. If it is not, then you are not granted safe passage, since you are not "passing through".

If the gentleman's permit/license allows him to carry in GA or AL, then his trip, governed by 18 USC 926 would allow him safe passage through every state that disallows his carrying to get to GA or AL.

The way I read 18 USC 926, your final destination in your trip must be a state in which you can legally carry. If it is not, then you are not granted safe passage, since you are not "passing through".

If the gentleman's permit/license allows him to carry in GA or AL, then his trip, governed by 18 USC 926 would allow him safe passage through every state that disallows his carrying to get to GA or AL.

Thanks for all the feed back everyone!

Seems like some say its ok and others say its not.. I know I cant legally carry in FL but If I am in FL and heading to my destination (with firearm in a locked case not loaded) and then leave my firearm in my rental home I am assuming I will be ok. With all the crazy stuff I hear happening in FL like face eating freaks, escaping prisoners and baby killers I would love to have it with me at all times but also want to be legal so I think its best I call FL state police and find out from them. Thanks again everyone for all your info!

Let us know what they tell you!

Ok! I just called the FL hwy patrol office and was informed that I can go to my destination with my firearm as long as it securely encased ( firearm can be loaded) but it needs to be not accessible to the driver or passenger (in trunk or rear of vehicle). Once at my destination I do have to leave it at my rental home unless I am going to or from a range, hunting, ect.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back