Carrying in another person's vehicle?

I either didn't recall seeing it, or missed it when I went through the laws. I'm not going to go through it again when I can ask here and get a response (which I have, many actually). It has nothing to do with being lazy.

My post wasn't so much directed at you as the people that show up here and ask "I'm traveling through Iowa,Idaho, Texas, Vermont, Utah, Florida and Alaska. please tell me what U.S and Canadian gun laws I need to be aware of."

As for "getting a response" wait till you start reading the posts that tell you that under Federal law you must inform every law enforcement officer with in a quarter mile of you that you are a permit holder wether you're armed or not.

Or the Yo-Yos that state that vehicle carry is legal in all fifty states as long as it's unloaded and in plain sight.

Trust me , you're better off going to the top of the page and clicking the Concealed Carry Resources link

Up to a point I agree with Cheryl (welcome to the forum BTW) regardless of differences is state laws and different requirements to get your permit it is incumbent on the permit holder to know his/ her local laws.

I can’t speak for anyone else but it annoys the crap out of me when I see some one show up here (a site that has all the links to the relevant laws) and drop a post that essentially says “Hi, I’m too lazy to do the research myself, can I do XYZ with my gun?”

It’s also quite annoying when someone posts a question pertaining to their specific state law “Can I do XYZ with a gun in Texas?” and we get half a dozen responses like “Well in Nebraska….” Or “Florida’s law is….”.

If we wanted to know Florida’s law we would have asked about Florida’s law

I will agree with the fact that everyone should research the laws of where they are, or where they are going. please understand though that most laws are writing to be confusing and convoluted. there are a lot of times there are grey areas where you need case laws or actual experiences, to determine what is allowed or not.

My post wasn't so much directed at you as the people that show up here and ask "I'm traveling through Iowa,Idaho, Texas, Vermont, Utah, Florida and Alaska. please tell me what U.S and Canadian gun laws I need to be aware of."

As for "getting a response" wait till you start reading the posts that tell you that under Federal law you must inform every law enforcement officer with in a quarter mile of you that you are a permit holder wether you're armed or not.

Or the Yo-Yos that state that vehicle carry is legal in all fifty states as long as it's unloaded and in plain sight.

Trust me , you're better off going to the top of the page and clicking the Concealed Carry Resources link

I see your point, and I'll certainly take note of that and do my due diligence in trying to verify any information given here and make sure it's relevant to my question.

First of all, minimum requirement for a CCW permit is a Basic NRA Handgun Course (at least here in Maine), which covers nothing of the intricacies of Carry/Conceal Law in a motor vehicle.

Second, I didn't take that course because I used a copy of my DD-214 instead, which is adequate in Maine for proving proficiency with a firearm.

I posited my question to this community because while I understand the self defense laws and basic laws on when/where you can't carry, I obviously missed or misunderstood the interpretation of carrying in another person's vehicle. I'm sorry that this offends you so much. I'd much rather ask the question here and have a dialogue with people. You are acting like I'm asking this question while riding in a car hanging out the passenger window with a gun rattling around on the floor trying to see if I can start some trouble with the fuzz.

Making assumptions and jumping to conclusions is a very endearing quality.

My apologies to you jcleary47, it was an error on my part to assume that you were required in Maine to actually sit for a formal CCW class. But I did find the information you were looking for on an application dedicated to CCW laws for all 50 states. I did not suggest in any way that you were hanging out the vehicle window, brandishing your firearm for all the world to see. I only stated the facts. If not required to be informed of the laws, it is in fact your responsibility to learn what you need to know. And I certainly am not offended. While I stated the facts, the law is always open for interpretation from city to city.

QUOTE=jcleary47;458290]First of all, minimum requirement for a CCW permit is a Basic NRA Handgun Course (at least here in Maine), which covers nothing of the intricacies of Carry/Conceal Law in a motor vehicle.

Second, I didn't take that course because I used a copy of my DD-214 instead, which is adequate in Maine for proving proficiency with a firearm.
.[/QUOTE]

When I got my Maine permit I was REQUIRED to sign a statement, (which was part of the application)
"Certify that you have received a copy of the pamphlet entitled “LAWS RELATING TO
PERMITS TO CARRY CONCEALED HANDGUNS” (2005 edition)."
this is on pg 7 of the pamphlet. If you need a copy it is found at the Maine state police website under licenses and permits. this is a very informative and necessary info you should read https://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses-permits/concealed-carry-maine
I am from NH and this was for a nonresident permit, but I am pretty sure anyone who ccw's in Maine should have had to read this

Last edited by a moderator:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back