Carrying in another person's vehicle?

jcleary47

I have a CCW Resident Permit here in Maine. I have a question about carrying in a vehicle that is not my own.

If I am riding in my girlfriend's vehicle and I place the firearm in say the glove compartment, and we were to get pulled over, would the firearm be the responsibility of my girlfriend since the car is registered in her name? In other words, would she get in trouble for a firearm being in the vehicle that she does not have a CCW permit for?

I'm assuming if the firearm remains on me there is no issue, but once it leaves me is it then considered property of the vehicle owner?

What situation would you have to leave your weapon or to put it in her glove box?

LOL I can think of one.

Check local laws but where I live it would be no problem as long as you are in the car with the gun. If you leave her in the car with it, well, PROBLEM!

Wondering why you would put your gun in hew glove compartment? If pulled over you should always let the officer know you have a firearm and a CCW. I would think if the weapon was in the glove compartment then it is not covered by the CCW as the first C means Carry. If your state is a free carry for legal citizens as we are here in Arizona then there is no problem as the girl friend would be able to carry legally, provided she is of age and a citizen. I would tend to believe that once you put the gun in the glove compartment it is her responsibility and if you state is not a free carry then she is carrying illegally. If you believe you could open the glove compartment, retrieve your gun and be ready to defend yourself if a defensive situation arises you may be fooling yourself.

If pulled over you should always let the officer know you have a firearm and a CCW.
is that so?? please elaborate
here's a hint. do a search and maybe you'll find a few discussions on this topic.
in addition the OP stated he lives in ME, he doesn't need you to preach about how things work in AZ
For post #1 you've stepped on a big pile of poop.

In my state, everyone with access to the concealed firearm needs a CHP. If it is on you, only you need one.

You don't have to inform the LEO in the State of Maine. There is no particular statute that addresses this concern. I personally don't put any firearm in the glovebox because if I do get pulled over, I don't want a gun sliding out when I get my reg and insurance card. As long as you are in the vehicle with the firearm and can vouch that you are "in possession" then you should be fine and as far as I know, there hasn't ever been an issue like this in Maine. You certainly wouldn't want to forget its in there and then your gf gets pulled over in possession of a loaded gun....

Wondering why you would put your gun in hew glove compartment? If pulled over you should always let the officer know you have a firearm and a CCW. I would think if the weapon was in the glove compartment then it is not covered by the CCW as the first C means Carry. If your state is a free carry for legal citizens as we are here in Arizona then there is no problem as the girl friend would be able to carry legally, provided she is of age and a citizen. I would tend to believe that once you put the gun in the glove compartment it is her responsibility and if you state is not a free carry then she is carrying illegally. If you believe you could open the glove compartment, retrieve your gun and be ready to defend yourself if a defensive situation arises you may be fooling yourself.

Ummm. Stop giving advice.

Wondering why you would put your gun in hew glove compartment?

On a long trip, it is much more comfortable to put the gun in the glove box than keep it in the holster. How much need could there possibly be for split second access to the firearm when moving down the road in a vehicle?

If pulled over you should always let the officer know you have a firearm and a CCW.

I would absolutely disagree. Unless I am required to disclose to the officer that I possess a firearm and a CCW permit, it is not going to benefit anyone to disclose it. Unless you want to present your CCW permit as a member of the "good guy" club in the hopes that the officer will let you off without giving you a ticket.

I would think if the weapon was in the glove compartment then it is not covered by the CCW as the first C means Carry.

Unless you can speak to Maine law (or the law in any state that might be discussed) what you think doesn't really matter. What the law of the state the person is physically located in matters. In Washington, for example, as long as the person placing the loaded gun in the glove box has a CPL and remains anywhere inside the vehicle, then it is covered, whether that person is the driver or a passenger anywhere in the vehicle. If the gun is not loaded, in Washington, than nobody has to have a CPL for it to be in the glove box.

If your state is a free carry for legal citizens as we are here in Arizona then there is no problem as the girl friend would be able to carry legally, provided she is of age and a citizen.

Again you are wrong. There is no requirement to be a citizen to possess a handgun in Arizona. A person must be legally present in the United States, but there are many ways to be legally present in the United States and not be a citizen.

I would tend to believe that once you put the gun in the glove compartment it is her responsibility and if you state is not a free carry then she is carrying illegally.

It's already been clearly shown that what you tend to believe in this situation doesn't really matter much.

If you believe you could open the glove compartment, retrieve your gun and be ready to defend yourself if a defensive situation arises you may be fooling yourself.

That is about the only thing that I would agree with you on. HOWEVER, traveling down the road in a moving vehicle with the windows up and the doors locked, there isn't much chance of a defensive situation arising that would require immediate access to the gun.

Thank you for a very entertaining first post - you will fit right in with many members of this forum.

Thank you for the replies. To clarify, as someone mentioned on a longer length trip if I am not driving and wanted to place the firearm in the glove compartment for the duration of travel, I just didn't want her to get in trouble for the firearm being in her vehicle and her not having a CCW permit, as in Maine I believe to have a loaded firearm in the vehicle you need a CCW. I just wasn't sure if someone had to have a CCW and not necessarily the driver.

If at anytime I was the passenger or even the driver and I had the firearm in the glove compartment, I would absolutely notify the police officer before opening and reaching in.

It sounds like the situation can be made easier if I just keep it on me at all times.

If at anytime I was the passenger or even the driver and I had the firearm in the glove compartment, I would absolutely notify the police officer before opening and reaching in.

A simple way to avoid that is to not store the insurance card or registration in the same compartment that you want to store the gun in. Put the registration/insurance in an envelope above a sun visor or somewhere else.

Here is your answer. In the state of Maine you do not have a duty to inform an officer of the law. Open carry within a vehicle requires a permit. By putting your firearm in the glove box it is now concealed. Section 11212 states: Motor vehicles and motorboats B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. That being said, if you put your firearm in the glove box and you have a CCW you are ok. If you leave the car and your girlfriend stays in the car with the firearm concealed, she is now breaking the law. My question to you is this: Just what the hell did they teach you when you sat to get your CCW? All this material should have been covered in your class. YOU had better be a responsible gun owner and LEARN just what you can and can not do. I'm from OHIO and it's not rocket science for me to look up YOUR laws on concealed/carry. Get informed before you get arrested.

Here is your answer. In the state of Maine you do not have a duty to inform an officer of the law. Open carry within a vehicle requires a permit. By putting your firearm in the glove box it is now concealed. Section 11212 states: Motor vehicles and motorboats B. A person may not, while in or on a motor vehicle or in or on a trailer or other type of vehicle being hauled by a motor vehicle, have a cocked and armed crossbow or a firearm with a cartridge or shell in the chamber or in an attached magazine, clip or cylinder or a muzzle loading firearm charged with powder, lead and a primed ignition device or mechanism, except that a person who has a valid Maine permit to carry a concealed weapon may have in or on a motor vehicle or trailer a loaded pistol or revolver covered by that permit. That being said, if you put your firearm in the glove box and you have a CCW you are ok. If you leave the car and your girlfriend stays in the car with the firearm concealed, she is now breaking the law. My question to you is this: Just what the hell did they teach you when you sat to get your CCW? All this material should have been covered in your class. YOU had better be a responsible gun owner and LEARN just what you can and can not do. I'm from OHIO and it's not rocket science for me to look up YOUR laws on concealed/carry. Get informed before you get arrested.

First of all, minimum requirement for a CCW permit is a Basic NRA Handgun Course (at least here in Maine), which covers nothing of the intricacies of Carry/Conceal Law in a motor vehicle.

Second, I didn't take that course because I used a copy of my DD-214 instead, which is adequate in Maine for proving proficiency with a firearm.

I posited my question to this community because while I understand the self defense laws and basic laws on when/where you can't carry, I obviously missed or misunderstood the interpretation of carrying in another person's vehicle. I'm sorry that this offends you so much. I'd much rather ask the question here and have a dialogue with people. You are acting like I'm asking this question while riding in a car hanging out the passenger window with a gun rattling around on the floor trying to see if I can start some trouble with the fuzz.

Making assumptions and jumping to conclusions is a very endearing quality.

Cheryl...every state has different requirements for obtaining a ccw. In Virginia we need to take a 10 minute online course that tells us which end of the gun the bullet comes out of and what happens when you pull the trigger. Some states require no training for ccw. They presume you are an adult and will do the right thing. That is the way it should be for every state. Just one question...do you know all of the codes of your state. If not, why not? I am not talking about firearm laws. I am talking about the walking around laws. Okay...firearm laws then. Can you tell me the number of the federal code which says it is okay for a convicted felon to be in possession of a firearm? If the answer is no will you please read and learn the federal code so that you are an informed firearm owner? You wouldn't want to miss inform anyone would you? You can use the internet if you like! That is an open computer test!

Up to a point I agree with Cheryl (welcome to the forum BTW) regardless of differences is state laws and different requirements to get your permit it is incumbent on the permit holder to know his/ her local laws.

I can’t speak for anyone else but it annoys the crap out of me when I see some one show up here (a site that has all the links to the relevant laws) and drop a post that essentially says “Hi, I’m too lazy to do the research myself, can I do XYZ with my gun?”

It’s also quite annoying when someone posts a question pertaining to their specific state law “Can I do XYZ with a gun in Texas?” and we get half a dozen responses like “Well in Nebraska….” Or “Florida’s law is….”.

If we wanted to know Florida’s law we would have asked about Florida’s law

I'm from PA... I have no idea whether that is allowed in ME. I could tell you what we could do in PA, but eh... why bother :)

This post was for Treo's amusement. :)

Up to a point I agree with Cheryl (welcome to the forum BTW) regardless of differences is state laws and different requirements to get your permit it is incumbent on the permit holder to know his/ her local laws.

I can’t speak for anyone else but it annoys the crap out of me when I see some one show up here (a site that has all the links to the relevant laws) and drop a post that essentially says “Hi, I’m too lazy to do the research myself, can I do XYZ with my gun?”

It’s also quite annoying when someone posts a question pertaining to their specific state law “Can I do XYZ with a gun in Texas?” and we get half a dozen responses like “Well in Nebraska….” Or “Florida’s law is….”.

If we wanted to know Florida’s law we would have asked about Florida’s law

I either didn't recall seeing it, or missed it when I went through the laws. I'm not going to go through it again when I can ask here and get a response (which I have, many actually). It has nothing to do with being lazy. Forums are for discussions, and people like to have discussions on a topic. Just because someone may have had a discussion on the topic in the past doesn't mean someone else is satisfied with merely reading it. If you see a thread started that covers a topic you already know about or have discussed, it's pretty easy to just ignore it.

People on forums love to toss out the "USE THE SEARCH" one liner. If you want the forum to be a dead zone with no activity, turn it into a wiki page so everyone can browse the information like robots.

You sound like a fun guy to be around though, high-five champ.

Not in Texas...you can conceal carry in a vehicle, as long as it is concealed from view. License not required in Texas considered extension of your property.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using USA Carry mobile app

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back