OlyArms opinions

LVLouisCyphre

Obama is a mack daddy!
I'm thinking about buying an Olympic Arms AR-15 and various uppers for the calibers I wish to shoot. Any comments on this AR maker and their caliber kits.

The general consensus about Olympic Arms is as follows: Their pistol caliber uppers and kits are quality products. Their 223 uppers/rifles are hit-or-miss.There used to be QC issues. I'm not sure if they've improved. I have a pre-ban 40S&W AR and while it's my favorite carbine, the lower is slightly out of spec. It fits to its own upper only. Every company puts out a lemon every once in a while. But Oly's customer (dis)service is known for taking a "not our fault" stance. If you want a lower to build a multi-caliber weapon system onto, the true beaty of the AR platform, I recommend a different lower.

- my $.02

The general consensus about Olympic Arms is as follows: Their pistol caliber uppers and kits are quality products. Their 223 uppers/rifles are hit-or-miss.There used to be QC issues. I'm not sure if they've improved. I have a pre-ban 40S&W AR and while it's my favorite carbine, the lower is slightly out of spec. It fits to its own upper only. Every company puts out a lemon every once in a while. But Oly's customer (dis)service is known for taking a "not our fault" stance. If you want a lower to build a multi-caliber weapon system onto, the true beaty of the AR platform, I recommend a different lower.

- my $.02
Which lower do you recommend? Any opinions on the 7.62x39mm OlyArms conversion kit? Would be nice to have an AR and a AK that can share ammo.

Price not withstanding, 'cuz I don't know it, acquire a "hydra" lower from MGI. This is a unique and truly inovative lower with interchangable magwells to accomodate different mags. As far as I know, they have a standard AR magwell, an AK magwell, and a pistol cal magwell that fits some kind of subgun mag. Along with this lower, they manufacture an AR upper with quick change barrels for different calibers. If you only want one AR, this one's expensive. If you want ARs in multiple calibers, this system will quickly pay for itself. I've read a few reviews on MGI products; all of them faorable.

I just reread your reply. Since you want an AR to share ammo with your AK, might as well get one that shares mags too.

Keep me posted on your project. Also, AR15.COM has a collective wealth of knowledge on both the AR and AK platforms. I'm echo_5 on that board.

Price not withstanding, 'cuz I don't know it, acquire a "hydra" lower from MGI. This is a unique and truly inovative lower with interchangable magwells to accomodate different mags. As far as I know, they have a standard AR magwell, an AK magwell, and a pistol cal magwell that fits some kind of subgun mag. Along with this lower, they manufacture an AR upper with quick change barrels for different calibers. If you only want one AR, this one's expensive. If you want ARs in multiple calibers, this system will quickly pay for itself. I've read a few reviews on MGI products; all of them faorable.

I just reread your reply. Since you want an AR to share ammo with your AK, might as well get one that shares mags too.

Keep me posted on your project. Also, AR15.COM has a collective wealth of knowledge on both the AR and AK platforms. I'm echo_5 on that board.
Thanks for the info. I am impressed with the MGI modular AR-15. Their site is here. Their MARCK-15 which is a complete modular AR-15 in 7.62.x39mm isn't cheap at $2199 MSRP.

After doing my due diligence and seeing a good deal on a S&W M&P15R I bought one. I picked it up today and understand how one gets bit with the black rifle disease. My M&P15R is well constructed and light weight in contrast to my MAK-90.

The next phase of my AR related acquisitions are additional uppers in different calibers and magazines. Hopefully I'll be able to buy some lowers at a reasonable price and build some as well.

Oly is OK stuff but for the same price or close to it you can get Rock River uppers.

I have the OLy 22LR one a DPMS lower and it is real cool and realy accurate.

Last edited:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back