American Income: Scam or Not?

tattedupboy

Thank God I'm alive!
I have a résumé posted on Careerbuilder.com and recently received a call from someone claiming to represent American Income Insurance telling me that they wanted to interview me for a position. I asked what position I'd be interviewing at least three different, but the person to whom I talked never directly answered that question. Long story short, I have an interview scheduled for 4:00 p.m. tomorrow, October 20. I have done a little research on this company, and I gotta tell you, it doesn't look promising. What's even more confusing is that the company itself is legitimate, but what I've been reading about the jobs is that it's a scam. Is anyone else familiar with this?

If it sounds tooooooooooooooo good to be true... then run like heck the other way.
NO FREE LUNCHES.

You think you want to sell life insurance, eh?

You know what they say about salesmen... you can tell they are lying when you see their lips move. :)

Last edited:
If it sounds tooooooooooooooo good to be true... then run like heck the other way.
NO FREE LUNCHES.

You think you want to sell life insurance, eh?

You know what they say about salesmem... you can tell they are lying when you see their lips move. :)

Actually, I thought that this quote more accurately described lawyers and politicians.

No, it has never been my dream to sell insurance. This was just the most recent company to respond to my résumé on careerbuilder, so I thought I'd check them out. As I said, I know people who have insurance through them, and the insurance is legitimate. I'm just not sure about the job, though.

Not out of job "YET"

:unsure:I am not unemployed yet, but was informed that it was not looking too good and that they might close the doors soon. Sooooo.. I put my resume on the web also, at Monster.com and have recieved several interests in the same insurance field. This is kind of funny for I am a Registered surveyor in the State of Ohio and do not want to change professions this late in my life. I don't know what these head hunters are thinking.

I have a résumé posted on Careerbuilder.com and recently received a call from someone claiming to represent American Income Insurance telling me that they wanted to interview me for a position. I asked what position I'd be interviewing at least three different, but the person to whom I talked never directly answered that question. Long story short, I have an interview scheduled for 4:00 p.m. tomorrow, October 20. I have done a little research on this company, and I gotta tell you, it doesn't look promising. What's even more confusing is that the company itself is legitimate, but what I've been reading about the jobs is that it's a scam. Is anyone else familiar with this?
American Income Life is not a scam. Let's see - they are rated as the number 37 top job out of 100 in Hot Jobs.com, they have been in business over 60 years, they belong to Torchmark a S&P500 company listed on the NY stock exchange, they have over 2,000,000 clients throughout the world. So where is the scam? They offer a career in insurance sales, provide the leads, no cold calls or door knocking, and pay weekly. Yes I am an agent for American Income, and have been since last July 2009. Yes I read all the "scam" posts and went to see for myself. I saw a legitimate company that offers a career opportunity to those willing to work hard. I see very successful people in the company that are happy with their jobs. I visited the Waco American Income office, and the Torchmark office in McKinny and was impressed with both the facilities and the people. This opportunity can work for someone just out of college or someone like me who had to un-retire and return to the work force at 60. By the way I have an engineering degreee and an MBA. I would surmise that those posting "scam" issues are those that have failed at the hard work issue and want someone else to blame for their failures.

American Income

I got the same call, I sense something wrong with this. I did posted a resume on Careerbuilder.com. My resume shows that I have a CDL (COMMERCIAL DRIVERS LICENSE with a passenger endorsement).

All I getting is replies from Insurance Companies. I have NO EXPERIENCE IN THE INSURANCE FIELD ! ! ! THERE'S NOTHING IN MY RESUME THAT MENTIONS ABOUT INSURANCE.

I got someone helping me out finding employment for me, funded by the STATE OF FLORIDA. This person will be advised about this company.

I may have to pass on this offer.

Been there, did that.
Some insurance companies will recruit marketeers/salesmen by inviting any and all job seekers they can find, regardless of the career field, experience, or preferred market of the job-seeker. Think of it as casting a wide net and see what fish takes the bait (to use a poorly mixed metaphor.) They may send out 1,000 invitations and get 20 replies. Of that twenty, perhaps 5 will come to the next job seminar and perhaps 1 will go so far as to become an independent contractor/salesman for the insurance company. Some can make a successful living at it, others cannot.

If they become salesmen for the company, they'll be provided with leads, hundreds if not thousands. Of those thousands, maybe 20 will respond when called to set up a meeting to review their insurance needs/sell insurance. Of that twenty, perhaps 5 will sign the contract and the salesman will get a percentage of the proceeds from the sale for as long as the insured keeps renewing the contract.

No experience is required by potential salesmen because many companies pay purely by commission. If you don't sell the provided product, the company doesn't suffer any loss. On the other hand, it's hard to sell someone something they didn't need last month, last week or yesterday, and with any hope they won't need tomorrow, next week, or next year.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back