Burning Down The House: What Caused Our Economic Crisis?

A little over one year ago:
1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:
1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $4.1 0 a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value
evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by
$1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
7) Food prices skyrocketing over 30% in 1 year.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it --
a Democratic Congress!
Remember it's Congress that makes law -- not the President.
He has to work with what's handed to him.

A little over one year ago:
1) Consumer confidence stood at a 2 1/2 year high;
2) Regular gasoline sold for $2.19 a gallon;
3) The unemployment rate was 4.5%.

Since voting in a Democratic Congress in 2006 we have seen:
1) Consumer confidence plummet;
2) The cost of regular gasoline soar to over $4.1 0 a gallon;
3) Unemployment is up to 5% (a 10% increase);
4) American households have seen $2.3 trillion in equity value
evaporate (stock and mutual fund losses);
5) Americans have seen their home equity drop by
$1.2 trillion dollars;
6) 1% of American homes are in foreclosure.
7) Food prices skyrocketing over 30% in 1 year.

America voted for change in 2006, and we got it --
a Democratic Congress!
Remember it's Congress that makes law -- not the President.
He has to work with what's handed to him.

I've said it many times and I'll say it again. While Congress does indeed make the laws, at the end of the day, it is the President who is in charge, and if he doesn't do his job right, it doesn't matter which party controls Congress, things aren't going to go well. Let's remember that President Reagan, a Republican, was able to win the Cold War despite the House being under the control of Democrats during his entire presidency. This is because Reagan was a good president. Our economy is undergoing this meltdown not because of Democrats in Congress, but because the guy sitting in the White House is not doing his job.

Actually I think they all share part of the blame. In the old days when we had true patriots in office things went a lot better. Don't you which we had Andrew Jackson's and Daniel Webster today.

Actually I think they all share part of the blame. In the old days when we had true patriots in office things went a lot better. Don't you which we had Andrew Jackson's and Daniel Webster today.

We also had better better presidents back then. History shows us that good presidents are able to get things done no matter which party controls Congress.

Congress can over-ride a veto, but it doesn't work the other way around. I stand by my post. There's a reason that the approval rating for congress is lower than that of Bush. You think things are rough now, wait until we get a muslim in the white house. osama doesn't want to be President, he wants to be king..... I'm not gonna help him get there.

Congress can over-ride a veto, but it doesn't work the other way around. I stand by my post. There's a reason that the approval rating for congress is lower than that of Bush. You think things are rough now, wait until we get a muslim in the white house. osama doesn't want to be President, he wants to be king..... I'm not gonna help him get there.

Congress has historically had lower approval ratings than the president. Most people approve of their own representative and senators, but not of the House and Senate and as a whole (I believe that pork barrel spending has a lot to do with that). For instance, I approve of my Congressman (Rep. Pete Visclosky) and his vote against the bailout bill has only bolstered my support for him, while Congress's approval of it has only increased my disdain for it as a whole.

We also had better better presidents back then. History shows us that good presidents are able to get things done no matter which party controls Congress.

That is why I listed both Jackson and Webster as good examples of real patriots in the White House and Congress.

Better get the watermelon planted in the rose garden.This debate was really bad for McCain people.:mamba:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back