Maximum Caliber in an indoor range

Hey guys,

I am going to be going to a indoor range Monday night. My gun is a .45 acp. Is this alright for an indoor range? Only curious.

Call ahead my friend, I would think that since the .45 is one of the most popular caliber weapons sold/owned because it stops BG's with minimal discharges, it may be fine, but no fancy armor-piecing rounds that exceeds the stopping barrier absorption rating they have in-place behind the shooting lanes. "Shoots through entire city blocks" mini-SABOT rounds prolly not a good call! :triniti:

Canis-Lupus

Call ahead my friend, I would think that since the .45 is one of the most popular caliber weapons sold/owned because it stops BG's with minimal discharges, it may be fine, but no fancy armor-piecing rounds that exceeds the stopping barrier absorption rating they have in-place behind the shooting lanes. "Shoots through entire city blocks" mini-SABOT rounds prolly not a good call! :triniti:

Canis-Lupus

Definitely call ahead. Some ranges want lead-only projectiles, others want only jacketed ammo, some will allow heavy duty loads and others won't, and one range I belong to only allows .22lr in the indoor range. Pretty much anything goes as far as outdoor range ammo.

I agree.. Call ahead. In general if they do not allow .45 I am not sure I would even want to shoot there. My indoor range will not allow anything hotter then a .223 on the indoor range.

Thanks for all the info guys. I will defiantly be calling Monday morning to find out. I have target ammo for it now. .45acp 230 grain bullets now. I am hoping that it will be fine. I will let you guys know!

Twenty five odd years ago I was shooting in an indoor range when a fellow a few lanes down shot a .50 caliber pistol or some such thing. Even with ear plugs and ear muffs I thought someone had shot off a cannon. May I suggest that you don't shoot anything that large? My ears are still ringing.

Twenty five odd years ago I was shooting in an indoor range when a fellow a few lanes down shot a .50 caliber pistol or some such thing. Even with ear plugs and ear muffs I thought someone had shot off a cannon. May I suggest that you don't shoot anything that large? My ears are still ringing.

that reminds me when I first shot my new .50 desert eagle at an indoor range. after the first shot everyone in their put down their guns and came over to see what the heck I was shooting. some even paid me for ammo just to shoot it.

and it really depends on the range. at this indoor range I used to go to in utah they allowed almost anything as long as you didn't have armor piercing rounds. they even rented out full auto weapons like M16, MP5 AK-47... man I miss that range!

You may want to check to see that your muffs and ear plugs are fitted properly. I'm around folks firing anything ranging from .22 all the way up to .500 s&w and even the M1-A SOCOM (.308). All I use is a pair of Peltor Tacticial Pro-6 ear muffs. No problems with ringing ears. Others on the range use the same ear muffs along with disposeable foam ear plugs. No problems with them either. I've known some co-workers using only disposeable 21db ear plugs. No problems. I'm guessin that there may have been a problem with the fit of your ear muffs, ear plugs or both.

gf

It will depend on the range. Most I've been to allow up to .45 but there are a very few .22 only ranges. As others have said, call and ask.

You are most certainly probably correct. I was using plugs from the Army, they worked well, but the ear muffs were probably cheap imitations of something I should have gone ahead and paid good money for. My ears really aren't now still ringing, I was just exaggerating, but they sure were for the rest of THAT day.

In case anyone is wondering, a 50 caliber pistol really does sound like a cannon. Be still my heart! :dance3:

You may want to check to see that your muffs and ear plugs are fitted properly. I'm around folks firing anything ranging from .22 all the way up to .500 s&w and even the M1-A SOCOM (.308). All I use is a pair of Peltor Tacticial Pro-6 ear muffs. No problems with ringing ears. Others on the range use the same ear muffs along with disposeable foam ear plugs. No problems with them either. I've known some co-workers using only disposeable 21db ear plugs. No problems. I'm guessin that there may have been a problem with the fit of your ear muffs, ear plugs or both.

gf

Just so there aren't any surprises, call ahead. I can't imagine that .45 ACP wouldn't be allowed, but at least make sure first.

Just so there aren't any surprises, call ahead. I can't imagine that .45 ACP wouldn't be allowed, but at least make sure first.

I am going to call this morning and find out. I have full metal jacket target loads (said safe for indoor ranges on the box) I think I should be fine, I just want to make sure. As far as hearing protection goes, I was planning on wearing cheap plugs with muffs over them. I don't need to be dear at my age haha

The range I frequent doesn't allow ANY centerfire rifle rounds (they sell frangible .223's for their AR night), whatever that special 5.something FN round is, or .50 S&W Magnums. Other than that, you shuold be fine. Ditto on calling ahead.

I have taken my Taurus Tracker 44 mag (ported barrel) to an indoor range. The range cleared out pretty fast but nobody said anything.:tongue:

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back