VISTA Rocks

Sheldon

OK been a certifiable computer nerd since my first computer a VIC 20, been though every incarnation of every OS, and every bug, and have fixed it all myself, leaned a lot that way but then I spent a heap of time fixing software glitches and keep my computers running a lot longer than anyone else. Then came VISTA...

It ran smoothly, if a program froze the OS isolated it and would look for a solution, and never the blue screen of death of the other MS systems.

Then tonight while on line the system became unstable, Outlook became glitchy. then it happened the blue screen of death... But it shut it's self down "to protect" then it 'Saved information" N when it rebooted it's self it went into diagnostic mode and found the problem, as it restored my data. Old version of the INTEL chip drivers was at fault, it sent me to the INTEL appropriate update page, gave me the file name to look for. All I had to do was click it, let it download, then reboot. Now the system runs smoother than before and uses over 200 megs less memory to boot.

For those of you that have avoided the VISTA OS "don't worry be happy."

I have it on an laptop and I hate it. The stock configuration unnecessarily devours system resources, particularly in the graphics department. Why do I need to expend massive processing power just to open a menu? I'd rather stick to getting the basics right.

It takes forever to configure correctly to avoid crazy-looking menus and constant notices. It wants your constant attention if you plan to install or uninstall anything, or even sneeze. If you do system restore, you're back at the beginning and have to set it up all over again.

Windows XP isn't so terrible now, after nearly a decade of patches and updates. It's bloated, but it works most of the time. In a few years, they'll probably release a new OS (or at least a huge update) to fix problems with Vista. Then we'll have to do this all over again. Ugh.

Apple's OS is built on Unix. This is a stable, proven platform that works well and has been around since cars were the size of whales. It's like a 1911 - reliable, effective and never goes out of style. If Microsoft had any sense, they would admit their shortcomings, gut Windows and reinvent it on a Unix platform.

La vista es muy malo! :suicide:

I had been avoiding Vista like the plague based on what I had been told, this adds a new take on it, but my question is this.........what the hell is VIC 20:blink:

I like mine on my laptop. It took a while learning where everything was but it looks and feels like XP classic now. I still have to search for some things. All in all it's not bad. I won't be buying any copies anytime soon since I have several copies of XP Pro.

Actually the system is relatively easy to configure I just use the MSCONFIG (go to run, type in msconfig) and unchecked what I do not want to load. But since I track my stocks with the sidebar, I do leave it running but with 2 gigs of memory it runs smooth. If you are running a INTEL processor you may wish to go here INTEL Updates and download the updated Matrix Storage Manager, it will free up a heap of system memory. Be sure N read all the notes to make sure this one applies to your chip-set.

A VIC 20 is one of the first home computers on the market, it predates the Radio Shack Trash 80, IBM PC, and is as old as the first Apple N MAC. It had 5K of internal memory, something revolutionary for the time and was expandable to a huge 16K. The OS was hardwired, therefore not corruptible and it booted real fast. When the Apple, and IBM were green and B&W screens with beep N boop sounds, Commodore was color and had a built in SID (sound interface device) generator N was way ahead of their time, and could make actual sounds, music, and real sound effects for the games. Programed in a early BASIC you could write your own games N with a intelligent tape drive you could store your programs N if you were ambitious bought a 5 1/4 floppy drive, Commodore high res monitor and 8 pin dot matrix printer, all way ahead of it's time.

Made by Commodorewhich later made the 64, then the 128 all early advances in the home PC market. Then the Amiga series with the built in OS and then Revolutionary GUI that set the trend for all other OS since. With 5 separate SID generators were included for some real complex sounds were in the Amiga and it was the first with a programmable voice, it could speak something unheard of for the time. It was a true multi tasking computer, and with built in A/D conversion was a dream to play with.

Never heard of the Amiga either, well if you have ever heard or watched a SCIFI show called "Babylon 5" then you are more familiar with it than you realize, all the shows and many other SCIFI shows graphics were done on a Commodore Amiga, the Trademark name was the "Video Toaster".

Last edited:
I've been dealing with computers ever since my first Commodore 64. I've had Vista on my current HP for quite sometime and haven't had any of the predicted problems. Of course I do keep updating when available and use adware/ spyware removal tools.

I have Vista Home Premium Version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1) on my laptop. The computer is fine (first Acer I've owned)

As for Vista--Count Me In With The DETRACTERS Above^^^for all the reasons they've listed and more.

Vista here where I live is the hotel silly mental health group .I also am avoiding it.:hang2:

It took me a while to adjust to it, but now that it's been a little while I rather like it also.

How many of you are primarily Mac users? I'm pretty sure all of you are aware of virtual PC, an application that allows Mac users to run Windows on their Macs. Is a VISTA version of virtual PC currently available?

I agree. Windows XP was the best.

N 20000 before that, N 98 before that... it always takes a little getting use to a new OS, but for me SP stood for eXtra Problematic. N for you MAC users out the my son had a MAC notebook, biggest POS I have ever had to work with.

N 20000 before that, N 98 before that... it always takes a little getting use to a new OS, but for me SP stood for eXtra Problematic. N for you MAC users out the my son had a MAC notebook, biggest POS I have ever had to work with.

At first, I too disliked Mac OS because I did not find it as user friendly as Windows. However, I have come to appreciate my Mac OS X and I like the fact that because there are some applications that will run on Windows but not Mac OS, I can just open Virtual PC to run those. However, I'll stick with XP for the time being.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back