New Fishing Group

lukem

Administrator
Staff member
Do you like fishing as much as I do? I'm trying to get a group together of people on USA Carry that fish. I just created the group and would like to create a forum for it but need 5 members first.

Link Removed

Being that I live in Tampa, I'm pretty much only fish in saltwater and mostly inshore fishing for snook, redfish, and trout.

Do you like fishing as much as I do? I'm trying to get a group together of people on USA Carry that fish. I just created the group and would like to create a forum for it but need 5 members first.

Link Removed

Being that I live in Tampa, I'm pretty much only fish in saltwater and mostly inshore fishing for snook, redfish, and trout.

I'm pretty sure you meant chinook, didn't you?

Being I'd live in Idaho I only fish for freshwater, but near 50 years in Southern California fishing the coast down to Baja means I know the difference between a mahi-mahi and a dorado! (you're right, there is none :) ). Can't say I know much about East coasters though, so can stand to learn some on that.

Hey Guys!!!

I like to fish quite a bit myself!!

I usually vacation in Pensacola, Fl and fish in the Gulf with my uncle.

Good to see this group started!!!

Do a lot of ice fishing here in S.W. Michigan and when the ice first goes off. does that count. not to much during the summer.

DJ58

Fishing can B fun, but waiting around in crappy weather for a bite takes time. When we had grenades for tossing around, roll up on a lake, pull the pin and lob it in, underwater shock wave stunned everything which then floated to the top, pick out the best and fry 'em on Sterno-stove, add salt, Tabasco sauce and it sure beat C's or later MRE's. No license or catch limit just how a unit lived in the bush 4 days @ a time.

Canis-Lupus

Fishing can B fun, but waiting around in crappy weather for a bite takes time. When we had grenades for tossing around, roll up on a lake, pull the pin and lob it in, underwater shock wave stunned everything which then floated to the top, pick out the best and fry 'em on Sterno-stove, add salt, Tabasco sauce and it sure beat C's or later MRE's. No license or catch limit just how a unit lived in the bush 4 days @ a time.

Canis-Lupus

Hey, isn't that cheating? It's more fun, not to mention more challenging, to do it the conventional way, you know, using a pole and a worm. Even though I don't particularly enjoy eating them (too many bones), I enjoy fishing for carp because of the fight they put up. Salmon too, although they are actually good to eat.

The only fishing I've ever done is here in the waters of Northwest Indiana. Because the water in most of these spots is so polluted, I never keep anything I catch.

Caught this one on Sunday. I usually like salt water fishing, but my son enjoys fishing for Channel Catfish, so we go whenever they open the reservoir.

toywithcatfishzoomin07sep08rotated.jpg

gf

Did you get a chance to weigh it? That's a nice sized one you caught there!

The fish was 18 3/4" long and weighed in at 4 lbs 14 oz. You have to keep any fish that's 16" or larger, with a bag limit of 2 per angler. Past experience has taught me that anything over 8 lbs tastes horrible. :bad: My theory is that if I don't land it, then I don't have to keep it, so I use 6 lb test and be sure that the big ones "get away". :secret: My son was a little dissapointed when we "lost" 3 very BIG ones. :wink:

He had a great time catching Tilapia and a few smaller catfish. Pretty good fisherman for a 4 year old. :biggrin:

gf

Nice. I could put you on some NICE catfish here although I usually move away from them once I start catching them! I had some dragging my kayak around a few weeks back, really nice sized.

Kayak ? wait untill you hook a big snook you will be looking for the breaks. Over the mangroves and thru the bay to beep water we go.Love it.:yes2:

Yea, I got to a spot at night where I pulled out a 50in snook but didn't get it to the boat....but I was in my kayak that night. I didn't get any on but that would have been SOME ride! I don't think my 3lbs anchor would have done much. I had a nice redfish drag me, the kayak, and the anchor around before which was kinda fun.

The fish was 18 3/4" long and weighed in at 4 lbs 14 oz. You have to keep any fish that's 16" or larger, with a bag limit of 2 per angler. Past experience has taught me that anything over 8 lbs tastes horrible. :bad: My theory is that if I don't land it, then I don't have to keep it, so I use 6 lb test and be sure that the big ones "get away". :secret: My son was a little dissapointed when we "lost" 3 very BIG ones. :wink:

He had a great time catching Tilapia and a few smaller catfish. Pretty good fisherman for a 4 year old. :biggrin:

gf

What kind of bait did you use?

What kind of bait did you use?

It's "top secret" :secret: so don't be blab, bing if you happen to know any other folks here in PRHI. We use chicken liver, beef liver, or skipjack tuna belly. In it's self, it's what most folks use. The "secret" part is the way the bait is prepared. I've found that 2 to 3 days fermenting in the hot sun after having some "ham ha" (chinese shrimp paste) AND "patis" (filipino fish sauce) mixed in does the trick. In the 15+ year's I've been fishing there, I have always caught at least 1 catfish. Some days the fish aren't biting, and while many are going home empty handed, I'll have at least 1 decent size catfish for dinner. Lately the tilapia have been biting the liver as well. On this trip we caught the one fish we landed with the chicken liver. The other "misses" were on beef liver. The stench of the bait is so bad that I don't dare bait the hook with my bare hands. :eek: I have a pair of surgical stainless steel tweezers that work quite well.

We have a great time fishing and the little one learns patience.

gf

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back