POSTED-No Tresspassing

sambo42xa

USA Carry Supporter
This could be a Fish and Game question. Maybe someone out there would know this answer. In NH, what is the correct procedure to post up signs around Your property? While I'm still working on My shooting area in the back yard I'm going to be posting signs.......No Tresspassing, etc. and I need to know how far apart for signs to actually be legal. Is it 15' apart and no more than 6' high?? I know I can call the Fish and Game or Local but I thought I would post it here first incase anyone else had the same question in the back of their mind.
Thnx.

I saw your post about the range in your backyard. Thats awesome! I wish I could have something like that. Best of luck with it. I have no clue about your question, I just wanted to say thumbs up to you for doing this!

I saw your post about the range in your backyard. Thats awesome! I wish I could have something like that. Best of luck with it. I have no clue about your question, I just wanted to say thumbs up to you for doing this!

Ditto!

Thnx a bunch! Once it is all finished it'll be nice. Still needs to be cleaned up and hopefully by next spring I'll have a roof over my head with a bench etc.
As of right now I need to put up signs around the property just to cover my ***. I was told by a local lawyer, that I need to get signs up first thing. I heard something like 15' apart and no more than 6' high. I wanted to run it by people on this forum. I'm sure I'll get the answer anyway when I get home...........

I would be posting signs as quickly as possible just to cover yourself. Will you please update this with pictures once you have it all set up (the bench and roof)? I am very curious to see how it comes out. Best of luck man!

I hope I am as fortunate one day to get a personal range. I would be shooting every day!

Thanks!

~Capo~

posting

Hi,

I'd suggest calling NH Fish and Game's law enforcement division, they can answer your questions and clarify any rules about posting. The number is 603-271-3127.

Liza Poinier
Link Removed

I have no idea about NH but I know from the past that in SC there is no absolute rule unless it has been changed recently. The co,,emt about saking Fish and Game would be a start but the laws on trespassing for hunting/fishing and keeping off property due to danger from a shooting range may be different.

In SC all land is posted automatically for hunting and fishing with or without signs. In other words if you are hunting on private property without permission you are trespassing whether it has been posted or not. Putting up the signs is just a reminder. I would have another talk with that lawyerfor more detail rather than taking the word fo an Internet bunch. You range may be considered an "Attractive Nuisance" and require a fence. Also check with your homeowners insurance to sww if you are covered there.

Best of luck and keep us informed.

Just spoke to Fish/Game (thnx Liza) for NH and was told: For the state of NH there is no law requiring You/Owner of property to put up a sign (No Trespassing; Keep Out; etc) if You're shooting on Your property. He did say though, that it is a good effort on your part to put "something" up of some sort, which I am going to do anyway! A No Trespassing; No Hunting; Keep Out, etc. signs are to placed no more than 300' apart, no more than 6' high and the BOLD lettering must be no less than 2". Any Other type sign/s must be placed no more than 100' apart with the owners name; address; phone#. All these signs have too be placed at certain area's also like gateway openings; paths, etc.
So there you have it, there is no State law requiring you to post ANY sign/s if you're "shooting" on said property.
Well, I guess I'm going to check to see how many I need and which ones.
The noise ordinance I had mentioned in another post. I have already spoken to my abutting neighbor's who I told what I was doing and that I will limit my shooting time so as not to piss anyone off. They were all fine with this. I'm still going to have the Chief check it out so He can see that it is a Safe, Clean area (when I do have it cleared up) and that I have spoken to neighbor's about the noise. I think that as long as You communicate with your neighbors/Police there should not be problem. You just don't want to piss anyone off.
Just to be clear on this again, this is a backyard shooting area for my Son and I. It is not a shooting range OR for outside public which there IS a difference.
I hope this entire thing works out once it is finished. Yes, I will post photos as things get done (if no one minds). Right now I have to wait another month before I get the ecavator back here. If not it'll be back in the Spring.
thnx.

Goof info there and about what I thought. There is a misconception that unless land it posted you can't be charged for trespassing. But I agree totally with you putting up signs.

Hi,

I'd suggest calling NH Fish and Game's law enforcement division, they can answer your questions and clarify any rules about posting. The number is 603-271-3127.

Liza Poinier
Link Removed

Let me be the firstto welcome you to USA Carry, Liza Poinier. We could use someone with your expertise here.

Goof info there and about what I thought. There is a misconception that unless land it posted you can't be charged for trespassing. But I agree totally with you putting up signs.

Link Removed

Couldn't find this link before, but I finally found it. It pretty much sums up what I was asking. There is one part saying if You know of dangers on Your property it is up to You to post signs otherwise You would be liable for any accidents, etc. from outsiders coming onto your property. You got it right though FN1910.
Thnx. everyone!

Link Removed

Couldn't find this link before, but I finally found it. It pretty much sums up what I was asking. There is one part saying if You know of dangers on Your property it is up to You to post signs otherwise You would be liable for any accidents, etc. from outsiders coming onto your property. You got it right though FN1910.
Thnx. everyone!

I could see why you would be liable if you were being negligent, but does this still apply even if the person who is injured is a trespasser, criminal, or anyone who does not legally have a right to be on your property?

From what I understood is, as long as the property owner knows of ANY dangers on said property, He/She must post signs warning the public of these dangers which will then cover your ass IF someone disobeyed the signs and got injured from said danger. I'm sure there are loopholes in this law which May also have me calling my home insurance now. At the same time, I really don't think I need to because this is My backyard and not a range which is a different.
Ok, you have no signs posted...... and someone cuts through your property. They trip over a branch/log because there are many of these in the woods and they get hurt. Now, are You liable?
You have signs posted, they cut through OR You gave them permission to cut through and they trip and get hurt. Are You liable?
Like I said, I think IF You know of the dangers on your property. You must post the sign/s that are appropriate letting the public know of the danger/s so if something was to happen You will then not be liable.
Both my signs will read: "No Trespassing" and the other sign will be "Warning/Active Shooting"......all no more than 100' apart.
Someone please correct me if I misunderstood any of the info I had read from the link I had posted.
Just a reminder, this topic is related to {laws} "posting signs" on your property (which there are no laws) if you are shooting in your backyard in NH.
Thnx.

I could see why you would be liable if you were being negligent, but does this still apply even if the person who is injured is a trespasser, criminal, or anyone who does not legally have a right to be on your property?

This is tricky but yes you can be liable under certain conditions. Say if there was an old well that was somewhat hidden on your property and a child fell in (remember Timmy in the well) and got hurt you could be liable especially if it was close to a road. Now if it was deep in the woods and a bank robber running from the law fell in you may get a reward.

Suppose you had ATV riders using you property as a trail and you wanted to stop them. You put up a wire about three feet off the ground and posted the property as no trespassing. They ignored the signs and hit the wire. You better hope you get a sympathetic jury.

The correct thing to do is have the sign read........No Trespassing/Dangerous Trails (and spread all the wire you want! :biggrin:). Now, if they ignore the signs and get hurt you will not be held. Remember, the property owner has to know what the danger is or a cause to harm someone or something on said property and POST it. By running wire, the owner of the property is in the wrong because now this person is the one causing the harm/danger and you will be held liable :hang3:. I know you were just giving an example.
To let someone know there is a danger on your property (you shooting) and to cover you ass, it would be a good idea to post these signs.
These are something of what I am going to post (without the word "Range" though):
No Trespassing/Active Shooting
Keep Out/Active Shooting Range
Danger/Shooting Range
WARNING/Active Shooting.......etc.
What the hell do I know. I could be wrong on everything I've said.....:unsure:

If a child falls down a well on your property, then the property owner should not be liable; the child's parents should be for not keeping track of their children's whereabouts at all times. As for the example of the ATV riders, again, the private property is somewhere they technically have no right to be. If, on the other hand, the ATV accident happens on a public street, where they do have a right to be, then they should be able to legally sue.

As you can probably tell from this post and previous others, I am sympathetic to the rights of property owners.

If a child falls down a well on your property, then the property owner should not be liable; the child's parents should be for not keeping track of their children's whereabouts at all times. As for the example of the ATV riders, again, the private property is somewhere they technically have no right to be. If, on the other hand, the ATV accident happens on a public street, where they do have a right to be, then they should be able to legally sue.

As you can probably tell from this post and previous others, I am sympathetic to the rights of property owners.

Totally in agreement with you but just giving examples of real life. A local motel owner kept running certain neighborhood kids out of his motel pool (it was near a housing project). One of the kids eventually drowned and the motel owner was sued. He lost because he didn't have a fence around the pool and a lifeguard. :mad:

Totally in agreement with you but just giving examples of real life. A local motel owner kept running certain neighborhood kids out of his motel pool (it was near a housing project). One of the kids eventually drowned and the motel owner was sued. He lost because he didn't have a fence around the pool and a lifeguard. :mad:

As opposed to the parents, who could have been able to prevent this better than any lifeguard. It just amazes me that people today don't seem to want to take responsibility for their own actions. When they or someone they love gets injured due to their own negligence or irresponsibility, they blame others and expect them to pay, even though they weren't at all negligent. Americans are too lawsuit happy today.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back