ATF Alert: gunsmiths may be considered manufacturer now

ATF changes rules

PDF file downloadable from
Link Removed

#10 A gunsmith buys government model pistols and installs "drop-in" precision trigger parts or other "drop-in parts" for the purpose of resale.

This would be considered the manufacturing of firearms, as the gunsmith is purchasing the firearms, modifying the firearms, and selling them. The gunsmith should be licensed as a manufacturer.

9. A gunsmith buys semiautomatic pistols and modifies the slides to
accept a new style of sights. The sights are not usually sold with these
firearms and do not attach to the existing mounting openings. The gunsmith
offers these firearms for sale.

This would be considered the manufacturing of firearms, and the gunsmith
should be licensed as a manufacturer.

I'm pretty sure that the BATFE is doing this to discourage additional people from getting into the gunsmithing business.

or penalize those that don't buy a manufacturers license

its all about the revenues

Of course. Doesn't this sound like something that the Demo(c)rats in your home state of the PRTA (People's Republic of Taxachussetts) would have dreamed up? I can just see them now thinking, "Darn, why didn't we think of that!"

or penalize those that don't buy a manufacturers license

its all about the revenues
I don't think it has anything to do with revenue --- the money from licenses doesn't even show upin the roundoff in the federal budget. No, it has to do with tightening the screws to drive more people out of the firearms business. There are several ways to get gun control: try to take them away by law and you run up against that blasted Constitution thing. So as a constitutionally acceptable alternative drive the manufacturers, gunsmiths and gun shops out of business. Redefine types of weapons out of existence. Control the manufacture and distribution of ammunition. At the end of it peoples' guns are just paperweights.

I think you will find that the kind of people who are attracted to jobs at BATFE are similar to the people who take jobs at EPA. Unlike the people who go to work at agencies like FAA where most people are genuinely interested in aviation, the EPA/BATFE (and others) types are people who are interested in control and using their agency jobs to "change society" to something they think it ought to be.

I don't think it has anything to do with revenue --- the money from licenses doesn't even show upin the roundoff in the federal budget. No, it has to do with tightening the screws to drive more people out of the firearms business. There are several ways to get gun control: try to take them away by law and you run up against that blasted Constitution thing. So as a constitutionally acceptable alternative drive the manufacturers, gunsmiths and gun shops out of business. Redefine types of weapons out of existence. Control the manufacture and distribution of ammunition. At the end of it peoples' guns are just paperweights.

I think you will find that the kind of people who are attracted to jobs at BATFE are similar to the people who take jobs at EPA. Unlike the people who go to work at agencies like FAA where most people are genuinely interested in aviation, the EPA/BATFE (and others) types are people who are interested in control and using their agency jobs to "change society" to something they think it ought to be.

I think you hit the nail on the head. Us surfs should not be allowed to own guns and anything that can be done to limit the availability will be used.

Talk about some mess

This thing stinks to high heaven.
I can understand MFG a receiver; assembling a gun or guns from parts not previously joined together, But changing a stock or drilling and tapping scope mounts???? Adding aftermarket sights to a pistol??? These things do not affect the form fit and function of a weapon from the original intent. If I reblue an old gun to restore it, I could be considered as MFG a firearm according to this "memo"

Contact your congressman and lets get this thing fixed.

So I bought a stripped lower AR 15 receiver then, as I had the money, assembled it piece by piece. Does this mean I need a manufactures license? I mean I have not sold it but I might one day.

Last edited:
If through our political clout as gun owners we don't get a handle on this gang of thugs, you can be assured that we very well be facing charges for building our own firearms.

Look at how there is even a barrel ban on the parts kits now.

It is ridiculous the things they get away with, and with what seems like little oversight by any other agency.

as long as you aren't doing so repeatedly as a hobby you are ok.

Even if you are, so what? Leave these guys alone. That would be like calling a restaurant someone who cooks his own food and happens to have company over on a daily basis to whom he serves some of that food.

What a crock! I guess the key is not to modify anything to sell. Sell the firearm then do the mods a few week later.

Now that I think about it, can the BATFE even legally do this? I always thought that it did not have the authority to legislate, which it clearly seems to be doing here. It is an EXECUTIVE branch agency, which means it is supposed to ENFORCE laws, not MAKE them. Congress needs to step up and rein in the BATFE, and it needs to do it in a hurry.

Now that I think about it, can the BATFE even legally do this? I always thought that it did not have the authority to legislate, which it clearly seems to be doing here. It is an EXECUTIVE branch agency, which means it is supposed to ENFORCE laws, not MAKE them. Congress needs to step up and rein in the BATFE, and it needs to do it in a hurry.

When has legality or the lack thereof ever been a stumbling block to them?

When has legality or the lack thereof ever been a stumbling block to them?

Good point, which is exactly why I said that Congress needs to hurry up and rein in this agency. Congress is supposed to be making the laws for this agency to enforce, not the other way around.

Dont expect this congress to do anything good for gun owners,other than free food and board.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back