Bed rack for rifle or shotgun

HK4U

Check out this site and view the video. What do you think? might be worth having.

Link Removed

Last edited:
why not have a 50 mount at foot of bed. I like the holster mount like this . Can be made dhild safe.

At the very end of the commercial a female voice says "The backup is not intended for use in homes with children." With that said, I see how you can make it somewhat "child safe" with the use of either a trigger lock or a pair of standard handcuffs. With a little creativity, anything is possible.

gf

An issue with it

I like the design. however for the device to work you need a bedframe that works with a box spring. I don't see it working too well with waterbeds (the risk of puncturing the waterbed), airbeds or a captain's/platform bed with drawers underneath the bedframe. I am a pack rat and have a captain's bed.

Securing the firearm is no big deal, you can get one of the LE vehicle or wall long gun locks available through Galls. You could conceal the momentary switch by the head board or night stand, or just get into the habit of unlocking it manually for the evening when you go to bed.

Some shotguns also have a key similar to the Taurus security system which renders locks the button safety. The last Remington 870 I purchased has that feature. After going to the last NRA Annual Meeting & Exhibits, I have gotten more fond of latest Winchester shotguns though. The action is quite smooth.

Here's the answer I received...

They have no plans to make a version that will work with bed frames that do not utilize box springs. If you're like me and have a captain's bed this product is of no use to you.

On 7/15/08 10:05 AM, I wrote:

> I have a captain's bed (the type of bed frame that has drawers in the base of
> the bed). You do not use a box spring with these types of beds or water bed
> type frames. The mattress just sits in the bedframe. Is it possible to modify
> the Back-Up or have a version so it works with these types of beds? Also,
> would it be possible have a bar that would accomodate a locking mechanism such
> as the wall mount long gun locks available from Galls?
>
>
As for the bed mount, we do not currently have plans for water beds or
captain's beds.

We are negotiating with Mossberg to sell the Mossberg Lock with a special
attachment for the backup. Check our website to see if and when it comes
about.

cool idea. i would bang into it constantly, hurt myself, get pissed off at it, toss it out the window....

I got a Back Up in June and couldn't be happier with it.. I did store my gun in the closet until I realized how unrealistic it was to think that I would be able to get to my gun, load it, and prepare to fire without alerting the intruder .. I sleep much easier now bc it is literally right there! btw I haven't caught my shin or any other part of my leg on it bc it sets so close to the mattress.. not as "in the way" as you think

My bed would work with this rack, however, I don't see the need for it, when I could just store my shotgun under the bed with the pistol grip sticking out slightly. Not saying that the rack wouldn't work, but why spend the money when putting it under the bed works just as well, without spending any extra money?

Under the bed vs. the bed rack...

Under the bed would require you to get to it which would require you to get to the floor of your bedroom to get it. If you have a captain's or water bed, you don't have an under the bed.

With the Back-Up or smiliar bedrack, you could get to the shotgun without getting out of bed. Those few seconds to get to the floor of the bed, get the long gun and point it at the subject may make a difference. Yes, I do see the possible need for it. However until they make a model that'll work with my type of bed frame it is of no use to me.

Wooden bed can just hang gun racks on side.
The problem with a captain's bed is that you have drawers in the base frame. You don't have much real estate on the side of the bed frame to mount a rack permanently to the frame without interfering with drawers. You also can't do under the bed with a captain's or platform bed frame.

Racks like the Back-Up are designed to be held in place between the box spring and the mattress. With a captain's bed or a waterbed, you have no box spring. You also need the rack designed in such a way if you have a captain's bed so it does not interfere with opening the drawers. Not a big deal to do to design the rack so it holds the firearm so it is flush or just below the top of the mattress. The designer of the Back-Up has stated he has no plans to design one that will work with captain's or platform beds.

Under the bed would require you to get to it which would require you to get to the floor of your bedroom to get it. If you have a captain's or water bed, you don't have an under the bed.

With the Back-Up or smiliar bedrack, you could get to the shotgun without getting out of bed. Those few seconds to get to the floor of the bed, get the long gun and point it at the subject may make a difference. Yes, I do see the possible need for it. However until they make a model that'll work with my type of bed frame it is of no use to me.

So what's the problem with that? Besides, my bed sits pretty low, so if I keep my shotgun underneath it, with the pistol grip sticking out slightly, I can get to it quite easily without getting out of the bed. Whether or not I have to get out of bed doesn't really matter to me, because if in the middle of the night I hear someone breaking in, I'm going to get out of bed anyway to check things out.

Last edited:
Actually the more I look at it and think about it the more I like it. I may eventually get one although at the moment I have a number of other things that take precedent over it.

why couldnt you (Capt bed owners) just open slightly a drawer and rest the shotgun on top of the open drawer? Then in the morning when you get up, put the shotgun away, either in the safe/closet or corner..just a thought

why couldnt you (Capt bed owners) just open slightly a drawer and rest the shotgun on top of the open drawer? Then in the morning when you get up, put the shotgun away, either in the safe/closet or corner..just a thought
  • The firearm would be sitting sideways
  • Not a permanent solution
  • Risk of personal injury from stepping on the firearm or a drawer when getting up at the middle of the night for a nature call. With a bed rack, the firearm would be higher up and minimize that risk.
  • Damage to the bedframe; metal object in repeated contact with a wooden object.

• The firearm would be sitting sideways
  • Not a permanent solution
  • Risk of personal injury from stepping on the firearm or a drawer when getting up at the middle of the night for a nature call. With a bed rack, the firearm would be higher up and minimize that risk.
  • Damage to the bedframe; metal object in repeated contact with a wooden object.

Only if you keep a round chambered. I don't keep a round chambered on my shotgun, partly, because with a pump shotgun, the clack clack sound of chambering a round is just as effective at deterring a threat as firing a shot is. I actually think this would be an excellent idea.

Only if you keep a round chambered. I don't keep a round chambered on my shotgun, partly, because with a pump shotgun, the clack clack sound of chambering a round is just as effective at deterring a threat as firing a shot is. I actually think this would be an excellent idea.
I am referring to stepping, tripping over or stubbing your toe on the long gun getting in and out of bed; not an injury from an negligent discharge. While there is a probability of that happening with a chambered round, it's negligible in comparison to stumbling over the firearm and having to possibly spend the rest of the night in an ER getting your foot x-rayed.

Feel Safer

I bought it online and I don't have any problems with it. I'm a woman and I clear it without hurting my legs and it's so close that I can grab my shotgun without having to get out of bed. I feel much more prepared to defend myself if someone broke in while I'm sleeping.

And yes, it probably could NEVER work for a waterbed. You should email the company and ask them to come up with a model for that.

And yes, it probably could NEVER work for a waterbed. You should email the company and ask them to come up with a model for that.
I did, they basically told me in a polite manner to go pound sand. They have no intention of producing a water or captain bed friendly model.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back