Out of State CHL

CarolinaJohn

From what I am finding out, it is perfectly legal to obtain an out of State CHL and have it be valid in NC. So the question is, since it is so much easier to apply for and obtain an Out of State CHL, why bother getting the North Carolina Licence? After all, they make it difficult to obtain and the wait is ungodly.

Any input?

From what I am finding out, it is perfectly legal to obtain an out of State CHL and have it be valid in NC. So the question is, since it is so much easier to apply for and obtain an Out of State CHL, why bother getting the North Carolina Licence? After all, they make it difficult to obtain and the wait is ungodly.

Any input?

We had a similar discussion about this on pafao.org. Slightly different situation though. PA licenses are extremely easy to obtain (as long as you can legally carry) and there is no training requirement. Most counties issues them with days or a couple weeks. Some PA counties will even issue them ON THE SPOT. The issue was that the PA license was not recognized in as many states as say a FL permit. Of particular interest was Delaware, a PA border state who recognizes FL permits but not PA permits! So people wanted to carry with just a FL permit. The PA law and reciprocity agreement between PA and FL was somewhat open to interpretation as to whether you had to be a resident of the state which issued your permit. The state police held the position that a PA resident COULD NOT carry in PA with an out of state permit (unless you were in a vehicle, which is spelled out in our law). This prompted many people to request clarification on the matter from the PA Attorney General and lucky for us... he clarified it in writing stating that PA residents CAN carry in PA with a permit issued by another state which has a reciprocity agreement with PA. Good news for us.

After reading the PA/NC agrement, I see one section which may cause uncertainty:

This Reciprocity Agreement applies only to the carrying of firearms by valid license/permit holders from respective states and not to any other types of weapons.

Some people may argue that it mean you must be from the respective state where your permit was issued. I might argue that it means as long as you are from either PA or NC it doesn't matter which permit you have.

So the reason I tell this story is because it sounds like you may have a slightly similar situation in NC which could also be resolved similarly.

Sorry to keep lurking on the NC board..... nobody seems interested in posting on the PA board!!!!!

The unfortunate thing is that I cannot get ANYONE from the DOJ or Attorney General's office to respond to my direct questions. The guy that taught the NC CHL class feels that, after scrutiny, it appears that I may carry in North Carolina on my Ohio License as well as the PA and New Hampshire License that I possess as there is nothing that clearly states that I must be a resident of the reciprocal state.

I just do not desire to become a test case.

Like I have said numerous times, nothing gets done fast here, even answering emails.

The only problem comes if your address does not match the one on your photo ID. If you get your address on your Concealed Handgun Permits changed to your current NC address then you will be fine because North Carolina does accept any CHP from any state that they have reciprocity with. The only Pro-2a states that do not are FL, SC, WV, NH, MI, KS, CO, but I think most of those states also issue a non-resident CHP.

Last edited:
The only problem comes if your address does not match the one on your photo ID. If you get your address on your Concealed Handgun Permits changed to your current NC address then you will be fine because North Carolina does accept any CHP from any state that they have reciprocity with. The only Pro-2a states that do not are FL, SC, WV, NH, MI, KS, CO, but I think most of those states also issue a non-resident CHP.

I registered changes of address in both PA and Ohio, yet they do not send a modified CHL. I am on record with both States with the change of address.

The address on your CHP must match the one on your photo ID otherwise, your gonna get arrested for illegally carrying a concealed weapon. I don't know what to tell you to do besides get an NC CHP if the other states won't send you a CHP with your current address on it.

The address on your CHP must match the one on your photo ID otherwise, your gonna get arrested for illegally carrying a concealed weapon. I don't know what to tell you to do besides get an NC CHP if the other states won't send you a CHP with your current address on it.

If you are LEO, then I am sorry.

But the Local Sheriff told me I was valid. LEO can arrest for just about anything. Same as any day.

No, I am not an LEO. If you talked to your sheriff and he said that it was valid then I'm sure it's ok. I just assumed since the information on my drivers license/hunting license, drivers license/NC CHP had to be the same, that Out-of-state CHP's had to also be the same. If an officer did have a problem with it all they would have to do is check with the state your permit was issued in to find out that you did change your address, so you should be fine.

Out of state CHL

I live in Gaston County, NC. My parents live in SC. I have a TX CHL, from when I lived in TX. The TX CHL is good in NC provided that the address on you driver's license matches the address on your permit. However, I can not carry in SC because they recognize resident CHLs only. Also, it's not a bad idea to obtain a resident license because, currently, the NC CHL is good in states where TX isn't recognized, such as OH and the Virginias.

Carry permits

Personally, I believe that carry permits are like ammo - there is no such thing as having too much! If you can afford to get them from other states, by all means do so! Besides, that all goes into the demographics, you know - all those nasty little numbers regarding who WANTS these nice little laws, who are nice little 'law abiding citizens', etc.

But, as a former LEO, I can tell you this much - if the addresses do NOT match, you are in for a rough time. You might not end up in prison, but you will spend a couple of bad hours (days?) and there is the possibility of you losing your weapon. Purely by accident, of course!! "I do not know how it happened, sir, but we can't find your pistol anywhere!! So sorry!" Or getting it back months later (years?) in terrible condition. It HAS happened, it WILL happen again. There will always be that kind of cop out there, who has to bully or steal or what-have-you. I'm sorry, but it is the truth.

Get the permits! Make sure the addresses match. And MIND YOUR TONGUE when you get stopped or are in an accident. Be nice. No matter what, be nice. And don't give them a reason to take your piece out of your sight.

Any input?

I am not an LEO but I will say this -- I moved from Tennessee and had a permit from Tennessee which is valid in NC but you cannot purchase using it. You must get a purchase permit to purchase a handgun unless you have a NC carry permit. So I took the class and filed for my carry permit. It took 60 days start to finish. Now I can purchase anytime I want where ever I want without getting a permit each time I want to purchase a handgun. By law they must issue within 90 days max or tell you in writing why you have not been issued a permit. That is not "ungodly" just take the class and follow the instructions and in less then 90 days you will have your permit.

I am not an LEO but I will say this -- I moved from Tennessee and had a permit from Tennessee which is valid in NC but you cannot purchase using it. You must get a purchase permit to purchase a handgun unless you have a NC carry permit. So I took the class and filed for my carry permit. It took 60 days start to finish. Now I can purchase anytime I want where ever I want without getting a permit each time I want to purchase a handgun. By law they must issue within 90 days max or tell you in writing why you have not been issued a permit. That is not "ungodly" just take the class and follow the instructions and in less then 90 days you will have your permit.

No matter. I have now obtained the CHL here in NC. Working with several people now to hopefully change some of the anti-self defense laws in this state!

This is why I just went ahead and applied for my FL non-res instead of dealing with NC's crap, which is made even worse by them getting my chain of command involved.

Any input?
No shortage from me.
  • Link Removed
  • Permit to purchase exemption.
  • Link Removed
  • Civil liability. You have no civil suit immunity whatosever in NC. A good PI or WD attorney could use the argument you bypassed the NC CHP training requirement and not qualified to carry in NC as a NC resident. Given your castle doctrine with full civil suit immunity did not pass, it would not surprise me if there were no shortage of NC State Bar members that would take on such lawsuits. They probably were the ones that lobbied to have the bill die.
  • The law could change were NC residents are required to get a NC CHP at the drop of a hat. Not only did it happen in CO, they also passed a residency requirement in CO so non-resident CCWs are no longer honored there.
  • Not all NC LEOs being aware of your CHP statute pertaining to recognition and reciprocity. It would not surprise me if this was in the counties where the Sheriff takes the full 90 days to issue.
Conventional wisdom is get your (declared) State of residency first, if possible then any additional States you may need. If you travel, NH and UT would be the best choices for broad spectrum backup coverage for your money. Only get CT or ME if you perceive a need for them. If you live in a shall issue State with a NICS exemption and very good to excellent recognition or reciprocity, only carry on an out of State CCW if there's an issue with your residential CCW (i.e. sheriff taking too long to issue, you had a bout cerebral flatulence and let it expire).

This is why I just went ahead and applied for my FL non-res instead of dealing with NC's crap, which is made even worse by them getting my chain of command involved.

How in the world did your chain of command come into play??? They have nothing to do with getting a CCL..

How in the world did your chain of command come into play??? They have nothing to do with getting a CCL..

Sadly they do.

You're "not supposed" to have one if you reside in the barracks, also you have to get records checks from PMO and obtain an authorization letter from your commanding officer.

There are ways around it all of course.

Not Supposed To Have One?

What I think they meant was that you are not allowed to have a personal firearm in the barracks. Now, depending on the post/base policy, soldiers may have the option of storing the firearm off post or in the company arms room. I know back in '92, that's 1992, I had a CCW in the state of Washington. Fort Lewis allowed me to store the firearm off post, even as I was a single soldier living in the barracks. While I was at Hood (TX), 2001-2004, I was married living off post. I had the option of storing my firearms in the Arms Room or in my residence off post. However, I do feel that there is a double standard in regards to soldiers that live in the barracks and those that live in government quarters on post. Soldiers that live in the barracks have to store their personal firearms in the Arms Room whereas those not living in the barracks have the option of storing them in their quarters. What is the justification in this? I don't know. Perhaps those living in the barracks are irresponsible. No, I don't agree with that. I do agree with the chain getting involved though. After all, who knows the individual best? Law abiders with guns don't bother me. It's the idiots and criminals with guns, that bothers me!

The unfortunate thing is that I cannot get ANYONE from the DOJ or Attorney General's office to respond to my direct questions. The guy that taught the NC CHL class feels that, after scrutiny, it appears that I may carry in North Carolina on my Ohio License as well as the PA and New Hampshire License that I possess as there is nothing that clearly states that I must be a resident of the reciprocal state.

I just do not desire to become a test case.

Like I have said numerous times, nothing gets done fast here, even answering emails.

Hi John.
I have had the same question regarding my VA non-resident permit. After writing the NC AG I did get a response from the NC DOJ. They enclosed a full copy of the reciprocity agreement and state that "As you can see from the attatched agreement and correspondence from the Virginia State Police, it is the desire of Virginia that a non-resident Virginia permit be recognized in North Carolina.--Jouh J. Aldridge III, Asst. AG, law enforcement liason section

Also enclosed from the NC DOJ is a letter from the Virginia State Police which states in part, "As you may be aware Virgina, through the Department of State Police, issues non-resident concealed carry permits. It is our desire that, to the extent permitted by North Carolina law, those permits also be granted the same reciprocity that is provided for resident permits."--W. Steven Flaherty, Virginia State Police, letter to John Aldridge, Special deputy NC AG.

If you would like a copy of these documents for your personal records please PM me. I intend to carry a copy of both in my wallet for so when I run into the cop who declares my VA non-res permit is not valid in NC.

Last edited:
There is one advantage for the local permit which is it will keep you away from any issues with the infamous GUN FREE SCHOOL ZONE ACT. While that's a whole new can of worms I thought I'd mention it. Nobody has been prosecuted yet for just driving past a school within 1,000 ft which a valid out of state permit but according to the LETTERS if not the SPIRIT of the law you could be hassled.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back