Kids or something worse?

Unearthed

So last night around 9pm my wife was home alone and someone started banging on the front door. She didn't answer and ran upstairs (To hide?). I guess there wasn't any noise for a while and then there was banging on the front door again. She was in the rear bedroom and she said she saw flashlights in the back yard so she called 911. Cops didn't find anything and that was that. She called me at work and I came home...didn't find anything weird. We live in a neighborhood with houses very close together and tons of kids...not sure if it was one of them.

Of course my wife doesn't "Believe" in guns and hates the fast they are in the house. Funny she wasn't complaining when I came home though. I am still annoyed with her for running upstairs...there are like 100 better things you could do in that situation other than run upstairs.

At least she called for the LEO's

+1 on that! Do you know how many people I know that would have called their husband/boyfriend first before the cops? Alot! Maybe this would open her eyes to the importance of owning a firearm. If that bang was not just a knock and someone ACTUALLY forcing their way inside to do harm, she would be defenseless. I am glad everything turned out to be alright though, hopefully it was just kids.

It’s sad but it sometimes takes an event like this or even worse to make an anti think differently about guns.

I don't know if anyone ever saw the movie tremors 2, but Bert in the movie has a good line which I think can be used with antis. "When you need it, and don't have it... You sing a different tune". That was in response to Earl saying "you put a whole new meaning to the word overkill". I think it fits in my opinion.

The problem with calling the police and waiting for them to rescue you is they do not always arrive in time. Some years ago in Dallas a woman called 911 because someone was trying to break into her home. The police arrived alright. 45 min. later. They found the woman dead. I am glad that my wife has her on gun, knows how to use it and is willing to do so.

Maybe its time to start talking safe room with her.She is going to come around.Sounds like there are no kids in your house.Mother hens are a bitch. Will do anything to protect kids.

Fortunately, you still have a wife to come to. Do you think you can now convince her to go to the range? And, even if you can't convince her to get a CCW, to at least keep a gun in the house at all times in case someone decides to take it a step further and break in before police arrive?

Fortunately, you still have a wife to come to. Do you think you can now convince her to go to the range? And, even if you can't convince her to get a CCW, to at least keep a gun in the house at all times in case someone decides to take it a step further and break in before police arrive?

Keep in mind that without proper training and the mindset to actually use the gun, she may be at a higher risk by having a gun and not knowing how to properly use it, or having the mindset to squeeze the trigger. I do a training exercise with some of my "high and mighty" students. We use airsoft guns, and when a threat presents its self, many are unable to squeeze the trigger. They freeze up and say stuff like "I don't want to shoot you", or "Don't make me pull the trigger" and "If you come any closer, I'll shoot". At this point, my hand or the BG's hand is already on the gun and they are in the process of being disarmed.

Not saying that having a gun in the house is a bad thing, simply stating that along with the gun comes the responsibility to learn how to properly employ it when the need arises. Imagine if folks were given the keys to a car without proper driver training. That could turn out pretty ugly.

Just my 2 cents.

gf

Keep in mind that without proper training and the mindset to actually use the gun, she may be at a higher risk by having a gun and not knowing how to properly use it, or having the mindset to squeeze the trigger. I do a training exercise with some of my "high and mighty" students. We use airsoft guns, and when a threat presents its self, many are unable to squeeze the trigger. They freeze up and say stuff like "I don't want to shoot you", or "Don't make me pull the trigger" and "If you come any closer, I'll shoot". At this point, my hand or the BG's hand is already on the gun and they are in the process of being disarmed.

Not saying that having a gun in the house is a bad thing, simply stating that along with the gun comes the responsibility to learn how to properly employ it when the need arises. Imagine if folks were given the keys to a car without proper driver training. That could turn out pretty ugly.

Just my 2 cents.

gf

Point well taken, however I thought I was already hinting at that with my suggestion that he take his wife to the range. But you are right; you won't learn how and when to properly deploy a weapon by going to the range. Only a firearms instructor can do that.

I don't know if anyone ever saw the movie tremors 2, but Bert in the movie has a good line which I think can be used with antis. "When you need it, and don't have it... You sing a different tune". That was in response to Earl saying "you put a whole new meaning to the word overkill". I think it fits in my opinion.
Aw, c'mon. Most people who encounter trouble have plenty of time to say, "Hold it right there!" while they dial 911, then make a trip down to the gun store, purchase a firearm, wait three days (the perps camp out in the meantime), finally go pick up their gun, get some ammo, take it to the range and put a few hundred rounds through it, take it home and clean it, then come back to where they started to face down the bad guys. By that time, the cops will only be a few minutes away.

I sleep near a firearm and a fire extinguisher, and both for the same reason.

Point well taken, however I thought I was already hinting at that with my suggestion that he take his wife to the range. But you are right; you won't learn how and when to properly deploy a weapon by going to the range. Only a firearms instructor can do that.

Getting her to accept the fact that firearms are in the home is a step in the right direction, a trip to the range would be an even bigger step, eventually I'm sure she'll come around and learn how to properly use the firearms, maybe take an advanced course or two, and realize that firearms allow us to improve our odds in the event that some misguided BG chooses to cross our path.

I didn't intend to slam you or anything, simply pointing out that having a firearm in the home is one thing, properly using it is another story.

gf

Getting her to accept the fact that firearms are in the home is a step in the right direction, a trip to the range would be an even bigger step, eventually I'm sure she'll come around and learn how to properly use the firearms, maybe take an advanced course or two, and realize that firearms allow us to improve our odds in the event that some misguided BG chooses to cross our path.

I didn't intend to slam you or anything, simply pointing out that having a firearm in the home is one thing, properly using it is another story.

gf

Well, in light of all this, maybe it'll be easier to get her to at least obtain a working knowledge of firearms and when to use them. Let's just hope that this incident awakened her to the reality that her hatred of them is counterproductive and is actually giving the advantage to those who would do harm to her.

Small town here in NH where I am and some of the kids who are 14-16 yrs of age have this old/new game called "ding-dong-ditch". Late at night they walk the neighborhood/s, ring your door bell a couple of times then run off. In some cases they have even knocked on the doors, front and rear. I know it's a hot summer night and they want to have fun, BUT I don't want to see anyone get hurt either. The cops have been to the boy/s homes and have discussed this with their Parents. Not many bells being rung in the neighborhood latley along with some "no trespassing" sign's I've seen put up.
Glad to hear things turned out ok on your end though. Sometimes these pranks take a turn for the worst.

This article is a must read. It's written to men by a pro-gun lady who really knows what she is talking about.

Link Removed

This is the perfect approach to a woman who dislikes guns. Short, and well worth the read.

This happened to my Wife a few months back.

I work nights and someone banged on the front door. Since we go through this type of drill twice a year she knew what to do. She 1st grabbed her ladysmith that we keep in a handy spot near where she sits (no kids in the house). She yelled who is it very loud, when no reply and ran upstairs, grabbed her cell phone, called 911, grabbed her mossberg 410 persuader and waited for the police. When they arrived she talked to them from the window and threw them the house key that we keep on her nightstand with a light stick attached. She told them to clearly identify themselves before they opened the bedroom door. She called me after 911. When I got there the police were just leaving. They commented on how well my wife did. When they got in the bedroom, she was kneeling on the far side of the bed with her persuader and ladysmith.

Not sure who was banging at the door but I feel good that the training was time well spent.

When we go through this drill, we use snap caps for both the 410 and 38. She is also trained that if the door is kicked in, shot the 38 2-3 times at the door as she is making her was to the 410 with 00 buck.

Like sambo said he is from a small town in NH much the same as i am. This thing happens all the time and some times goes over the top. About a year ago now some one kicked in the door and the husband was home and they shot him in the leg with a 22. He lived and was fine. But it just goes to show you when you hear banging on your front door don't go check it out as he did. I have not had much gun training other then in 4H years ago. But now that i am getting in to CC i am going to take all the class's the NRA has. Then come home and tech her and my kids what to do. But i can tell you this i have no doubt in my mind. If i was away from home and she was home with the kids and that happened. I feell sorry for the dead guy walking in that door because when it comes to the kids. She turns in to Rambo just with out the m60 lol. I am glade to hear your wife was ok.

Last edited:
Like sambo said he is from a small town in NH much the same as i am. This thing happens all the time and some times goes over the top. About a year ago now some one kicked in the door and the husband was home and they shot him in the leg with a 22. He lived and was fine. But it just goes to show you when you hear banging on your front door don't go check it out as he did. I have not had much gun training other then in 4H years ago. But now that i am getting in to CC i am going to take all the class's the NRA has. Then come home and tech her and my kids what to do. But i can tell you this i have no doubt in my mind. If i was away from home and she was home with the kids and that happened. I feell sorry for the dead guy walking in that door because when it comes to the kids. She turns in to Rambo just with out the m60 lol. I am glade to hear your wife was ok.

Why not have her and evveryone in the home who is 16 or older take the classes with you? There's so much material covered. I personally feel that your family would e better off if you took the class together.

gf

That would be a good idea. But she dose not want to take it . She does not like guns a lot she see them as a tool to do a job with. that job would be keeping the family safe. She has no problem with me buying or using guns she does does not want. Me to try and push them on her. She is getting to the point that she has been asking about taking class's but is not all the way there yet. I have had her at the range a few times. So for right now it's just me, but like i said before i have no doubt in my mind she could and would pull the trigger in a second. If and when she needed to with out thinking about it.But maybe by the time i take the class's she will be ready as it's a few months off now.

The safe room is the next best thing.This will give her a little protection while waiting for LA. She will come around with time but small bites are best.Pratice what she would do if TSHTF. Only in small amounts. The worst case senerio is just a little to harsh.

That would be a good idea. But she dose not want to take it . She does not like guns a lot she see them as a tool to do a job with. that job would be keeping the family safe. She has no problem with me buying or using guns she does does not want. Me to try and push them on her. She is getting to the point that she has been asking about taking class's but is not all the way there yet. I have had her at the range a few times. So for right now it's just me, but like i said before i have no doubt in my mind she could and would pull the trigger in a second. If and when she needed to with out thinking about it.But maybe by the time i take the class's she will be ready as it's a few months off now.

See if she would at least look at the following sites.

Cornered Cat

The Paxton Quigley Web Page

a true story for you......
about 2 years ago now a girl (woman) I know was shot dead along with a friend of hers. the details; she hated guns, and refused to have them in her home. She had met a guy and they dated for a period of time but she decided to call it off. I think this is when this guys true colors came out. when this girl was at home with her friend this guy came to the house with a rifle, not sure what kind. they saw him coming and went inside the house. the friend went into a panic and ran out the front door before the guy got in the house; she was shot in the back if I recall and killed: mother of 2. the other girl ran to the bedroom and called 911 but before they arrived the guy had gone to the room, shot and killed her also. now no one has a crystal ball, but IMHO had she at least had a shot-gun in the house her chances of being alive today are 100% better. the other girl running outside, I'm doubt a different outcome. its such a waste of life when you think the whole thing would have likely been different if she had just learned how to use and had a persoanl safety firearm.

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back