Your Chance to ask a Firearm Instructor

This depends on skill really. However, I usually carry one extra, just in case. I make it a point to go to the range minimum once a month and recommend our students to do so (although I tend to go once a week).

At least one, simply because that is the component that is most likely to create a problem operating the gun. The spare gives you the ability to 'fix' most problems and stay in or get back into the fight.

I would like some advice please on how to aim while keeping both eyes open. When I try keeping both eyes open ,I se double everything. I am pretty sure I am right eye dominet. Any advice?

With both eyes open, put the gun into firing position. Now close the non-dominant eye. The gun that is left once you do that should be the 'right' one that you will actually sight through.

I have the same thing happen, in that I see a solid gun and a 'not-solid' gun when I raise it to firing position. I don't have a true dominant eye, either. What I find is that the 'inside' gun--oddly enough, the one I can see through--is the one I should sight with.

If you have not already, I would recommend classes about point shooting. PM me if you want me to point you to specific courses that will teach you that.

Questions about Ohio CCW instructor, advanced firearms, and range instructor courses

To be an Ohio CCW Instructor:

Should I take an advanced firearms shooting course, to teach CCW first?

I had 1911 training in the army back in 1984, but no LE training to speak of. I was told to take the advanced firearms course before taking the CCW Instructors class. Is this typical? Good advice? Or is this guy just trying to make alittle more money off of me?

Also, I will be qualifying my students at my home, which is where I will be teaching my classes. Will I need a range certification to do this? When would I want to have this certification? Thanks

To be an Ohio CCW Instructor:

Should I take an advanced firearms shooting course, to teach CCW first?
I won't say that you have to do so, but I will say that it can't at all hurt. It also depends on what Ohio's state code and what your state rules are with regards to being an instructor. I had taken a Defensive Shooting Fundamentals class about a year prior to becoming an Arkansas CHL Instructor. I've gotten scheduled for one other in a month and have watched two DVD's on advanced firearms handling and use. The way I figure doing this helps is that it gives me some additional pointers to use for folks during the qualification portion of the class, if nothing else. It also gives me a secure reason to recommend further training after the students receive their CHL.
I had 1911 training in the army back in 1984, but no LE training to speak of. I was told to take the advanced firearms course before taking the CCW Instructors class. Is this typical? Good advice? Or is this guy just trying to make alittle more money off of me?
Could be a bit of both.
Also, I will be qualifying my students at my home, which is where I will be teaching my classes. Will I need a range certification to do this? When would I want to have this certification? Thanks
Arkansas requires that CHL Instructors be certified as Range Safety Officers and I won't pretend to know what Ohio requires. I'm now an NRA Certified RSO, which was a part of my CHL Instructor training course. I figure that it can't but help in credibility with the students.

Also, if you're going to have students handling firearms w/live ammunition at your home, I'd suggest looking in to additional insurance in case of a Negligent Discharge that hurts or kills someone. Just some food for thought. I know if I owned appropriate property and had a home-made range set up along those lines that I'd certainly look in to some sort of liability insurance.

Does anyone on here know how to become certified to teach the Massachutetts firearms course? I am already a certified instructor.
Thanks

Which firearm do you think would be better to conceal and carry for an amateur to novice carrier? The Ruger SR9C or a Glock 23?

I havent had the pleasure of shooting either. I am carrying a Rossi M68 revolver 38 spl, but would like to purchase a semi-auto.

I havent had the pleasure of shooting either. I am carrying a Rossi M68 revolver 38 spl, but would like to purchase a semi-auto.

Both guns will do the job. Once you decide on a reliable firearm, you may want to find a way to shoot both pistols. Take note of your likes and dislikes of each. This will help you make your final selection. There are many carry methods available. Key part to deciding which pistol is best for you would be you having confidence in the selected firearm and ability to accurately fire the handgun.

Both guns will do the job. Once you decide on a reliable firearm, you may want to find a way to shoot both pistols. T note of your likes and dislikes of each. This will help you make your final selection. There are many carry methods available. Key part to deciding which pistol is best for you would be you having confidence in the selected firearm and ability to accurately fire the handgun.

Going to shot a Ruger SR9 tomorrow. Thanks Glock fan

Not the safest and I would advise my students not to use this method it's even more dangerous depending on finger placement at the time. The safest way to load for this result is to install the magazine load a round in the chamber and then remove the magazine and insert the additional round and reinsert the magazine

I'm fr Ohio. It is not legal to carry to guns when hunting. Now that I have my ccw can I carry a pistol with my shot gun?

"Concealed Carry
A person possessing a valid Ohio-issued Concealed Carry license may carry their concealed weapon while hunting, but it may not be used to shoot, shoot at, or kill any wild animal. For more information go to www.ag.state.oh.us."
Link Removed

Why do some handguns leave a small "tail" on the primer where the firing pin strikes it?

your question tells me that you are shooting a Glock.The Glock firing pin is not withdrawn from contact with the primer until the slide moves.All Glock pistols leave this "tail" on the primer.

chl license

I am getting ready to take a chl class. My husband is about to get his chl instructor license. Will I be able to get my chl through his class or will I need to take the class elsewhere?

I am getting ready to take a chl class. My husband is about to get his chl instructor license. Will I be able to get my chl through his class or will I need to take the class elsewhere?

Your husband should bring this up when he takes the instructor course. Without knowing the state you're talking about, this is the best answer I can offer based on the information you provided.

As a NRA instructor I have to follow the NRA guideline and all regulations. I do open it up for questions at the end of the class that are off the record. It is on each instructor to follow the NRA policies if they are a NRA instructor. Most of the instructors you will find are mostly NRA instructors.

laser aiming device on defensive pistols

As I look at all the guns and equipment and impressed by laser aiming devices I fail to see their merit much in a self defense combat position which usually is on very close quarters. I can see however where may be somewhat helpful in low or no light combat situations. Anyone care to try and "sell me" on equipping my CCW with a laser?

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back