Traveling through Maryland?

krmgator

I am a VA resident taking a trip to PA; will be going through WV and MD. I have a VA resident CCP and it looks like I'm good everywhere but MD. I will not be staying overnight, just passin' through. In looking at MD laws, I don't see where I can do so legally.

Am I right on this? The purpose of my trip is pure pleasure.

Sounds like your going north on I-81. Your right, Maryland sucks. I travel from WV to PA for work alot and before I get to MD I have to stop, unload my gun, and place the gun and ammo seperate, then stop again when I get into PA. No other way around it that I know of.

Where do guns and ammo have to be secured in MD traveling on I-81?

Sounds like your going north on I-81. Your right, Maryland sucks. I travel from WV to PA for work alot and before I get to MD I have to stop, unload my gun, and place the gun and ammo seperate, then stop again when I get into PA. No other way around it that I know of.

I'll be making a NC-VA-WV-MD-PA trip soon. I realize that MD does not have a reciprocity agreement with NC (or practically anyone else for that matter). So, I have to stop in WV and unload my handgun. Is there any stipulation as to what has to go where? In other words, can my unloaded handgun be locked in my glove box, and can my magazines, with cartridges in them, be locked just in my trunk, or do the magazines have to be unloaded and/or in some other locked container within the trunk? This seems like a real pain for a 25 mile or so trip (hopefully without stopping) through MD on I-81. I want to be legal, even though it's a nuisance to go through all of this. I want to make sure there aren't any legal "fine points" about what has to be where, and how it's secured.

I'll be making a NC-VA-WV-MD-PA trip soon. I realize that MD does not have a reciprocity agreement with NC (or practically anyone else for that matter). So, I have to stop in WV and unload my handgun. Is there any stipulation as to what has to go where? In other words, can my unloaded handgun be locked in my glove box, and can my magazines, with cartridges in them, be locked just in my trunk, or do the magazines have to be unloaded and/or in some other locked container within the trunk? This seems like a real pain for a 25 mile or so trip (hopefully without stopping) through MD on I-81. I want to be legal, even though it's a nuisance to go through all of this. I want to make sure there aren't any legal "fine points" about what has to be where, and how it's secured.

Regarding the magazines, there is some dispute as to whether or not a loaded magazine qualifies as a loaded gun. The last opinion out of the AG is that it DOES NOT qualify. Your gun, per MD law, must be unloaded, and secured in either an enclosed case or enclosed holster. I would not keep your unloaded firearm in the glove compartment. If a LEO sees that, he's likely to draw on you.

Generally speaking, keep everything in the trunk. You can make a credible argument that you cannot get to anything from the car's cabin. Make sure it's unloaded.

i will be traveling from NY to AL in the spring via I-81. i will, of course be riding my motorcycle and will have to go through part of MD. i have the proper permits needed for every state i will pass though except MD. can i lock my pistol in one side box, lock the unloaded magazine in the other side box, while i keep the ammo locked in the top box? i assume doing this is legal, provided i do not stop but it sure is a PIA. i guess my real question is how/where do i stop to remove, unload & secure my firearm prior to crossing the MD border without raising all sorts of panic & knee jerk reactions from the general public. after passing through MD i again have the same problem, removing my firearm/magazine/ammo from three separate locations and securing it on my person without causing panic from the general public. of course i would do my best to avoid having anyone see what i am doing, but on a motorcycle, stopped in a public rest area/gas station etc. this is going be very difficult. taking my car/truck is not an option.

if you follow Federal transport laws passing through Maryland shouldn't be an issue. Being a Maryland resident I keep my handgun in a lockable sleeve and the clip in the rear cargo area of my SUV. After leaving Maryland and crossing over into Delaware I stop "cock and lock" my SIG and holster it, continuing my trip through the gun friendly state of Delaware to my second home.
Long story short, Federal transport laws prevail, period.

short follow up, I do put the locked handgun under the rear right side back seat, out of reach from the drivers seat.

short follow up, I do put the locked handgun under the rear right side back seat, out of reach from the drivers seat.

It's my understanding handgun and ammo must be separated, aloneinMD is correct "out of reach" so if stopped and asked permission to search your car but refuse, LEO can sit in driver’s seat observe and or seize unlawful items not locked within reach.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back