Question about Wal*Mart and Washington St.

Rick246

Was talking to a friend from Washington St. On the subject of guns he told me that he went into a Wal*Mart out there. When he was filling out the information there was a question that asked him if he wanted to get a identification number so the FBI could be informed of his purchase. He declined and was then told there would be a seven day waiting period before his purchase could be approved. He was trying to buy a .22 and he has a C&C permit. Does anyone know if this is a Washington St policy or is Wal*Mart off the reservation again?

more than likely its a city requirement. where i live (omaha), if i buy a handgun here, i need to get it registered before i can pick it up. if i lived outside the city limits i wouldn't have to.

Was talking to a friend from Washington St. On the subject of guns he told me that he went into a Wal*Mart out there. When he was filling out the information there was a question that asked him if he wanted to get a identification number so the FBI could be informed of his purchase. He declined and was then told there would be a seven day waiting period before his purchase could be approved. He was trying to buy a .22 and he has a C&C permit. Does anyone know if this is a Washington St policy or is Wal*Mart off the reservation again?

I assume you mean Washington State? First, there can be no additional city or county regulations pertaining to the sales procedures or registration of firearms because state law prohibits it. Second, to the best of my knowledge, Wal Mart only sells rifles? This whole story makes absolutely no sense whatsoever and sounds like the ramblings of a very stupid sales person and a buyer who had not much more of a clue.

There is a 5 day state mandated waiting period on handguns only in Washington State and having a Washington State CPL waives that waiting period.

The only thing I can think of that would be even close to what is described is if the buyer received a "delay" response from NICS. Then NICS has three business days to deny the purchase and after the three business days if the FFL does not get a "deny" response from NICS they can transfer the gun to the buyer. There is a procedure to obtain an FBI Unique Personal Identification Number (UPIN) which the buyer can use, after they get it from the FBI, to prevent future "delay" responses from NICS.

The Washington State CPL does NOT waive the NICS check.

BTW, it was a .22 Mossberg Rifle. Makes no sense that with a carry permit there would be any kind of delay.

BTW, it was a .22 Mossberg Rifle. Makes no sense that with a carry permit there would be any kind of delay.

There are no state or local delays for rifles in Washington State. The only delay at the Federal level is if NICS came back with a "delay" reply, and that is only for 3 business days maximum before the FFL can transfer the firearm.

There is a 5 day state mandated waiting period on handguns only in Washington State and having a Washington State CPL waives that waiting period.

Uh, no there isn't. I got my first gun, a Ruger LCR, within 24 hours of filling out the paperwork. The local police/sheriff has "no more than 10 days" to conduct the background check, but they can complete it in far less time if they so choose. It took a few days for my second gun, with a different, larger police dept. doing the check. Now I have my CPL (which I got in 8 days despite the police having up to 30 days to complete the check), so I have no waiting period.

pistolannie:318439 said:

Uh, no there isn't. I got my first gun, a Ruger LCR, within 24 hours of filling out the paperwork. The local police/sheriff has "no more than 10 days" to conduct the background check, but they can complete it in far less time if they so choose. It took a few days for my second gun, with a different, larger police dept. doing the check. Now I have my CPL (which I got in 8 days despite the police having up to 30 days to complete the check), so I have no waiting period.

There is a five day waiting period, might even be seven if memory serves me right. If your processed sooner great, but they have to respond within the allotted amount of time.

You are wrong.

RCW 9.41.090: Dealer deliveries regulated

"RCW 9.41.090
Dealer deliveries regulated — Hold on delivery.

(1) In addition to the other requirements of this chapter, no dealer may deliver a pistol to the purchaser thereof until:

(a) The purchaser produces a valid concealed pistol license and the dealer has recorded the purchaser's name, license number, and issuing agency, such record to be made in triplicate and processed as provided in subsection (5) of this section. For purposes of this subsection (1)(a), a "valid concealed pistol license" does not include a temporary emergency license, and does not include any license issued before July 1, 1996, unless the issuing agency conducted a records search for disqualifying crimes under RCW 9.41.070 at the time of issuance;

(b) The dealer is notified in writing by the chief of police or the sheriff of the jurisdiction in which the purchaser resides that the purchaser is eligible to possess a pistol under RCW 9.41.040 and that the application to purchase is approved by the chief of police or sheriff; or

(c) Five business days, meaning days on which state offices are open, have elapsed from the time of receipt of the application for the purchase thereof as provided herein by the chief of police or sheriff designated in subsection (5) of this section, and, when delivered, the pistol shall be securely wrapped and shall be unloaded. However, if the purchaser does not have a valid permanent Washington driver's license or state identification card or has not been a resident of the state for the previous consecutive ninety days, the waiting period under this subsection (1)(c) shall be up to sixty days."

The state mandates a 5 business day waiting period, which the local police can shorten by providing WRITTEN notification to the dealer. And, if you have not resided in the state for 90 days or don't have a WA Driver's License or ID Card, the waiting period can be up to 60 days.

There is a five day waiting period, might even be seven if memory serves me right. If your processed sooner great, but they have to respond within the allotted amount of time.

You are correct, the local LEO must respond within the 5 business days. If they do not, the dealer may transfer the handgun. However, that response might be an extension of the waiting period up to 30 days:

"RCW 9.41.090
Dealer deliveries regulated — Hold on delivery.

(4) In any case where the chief or sheriff of the local jurisdiction has reasonable grounds based on the following circumstances: (a) Open criminal charges, (b) pending criminal proceedings, (c) pending commitment proceedings, (d) an outstanding warrant for an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, or (e) an arrest for an offense making a person ineligible under RCW 9.41.040 to possess a pistol, if the records of disposition have not yet been reported or entered sufficiently to determine eligibility to purchase a pistol, the local jurisdiction may hold the sale and delivery of the pistol beyond five days up to thirty days in order to confirm existing records in this state or elsewhere. After thirty days, the hold will be lifted unless an extension of the thirty days is approved by a local district court or municipal court for good cause shown. A dealer shall be notified of each hold placed on the sale by local law enforcement and of any application to the court for additional hold period to confirm records or confirm the identity of the applicant."

Ah, gotcha. I thought you were saying there was a mandatory 5-day waiting period, which there is not. They must respond within an allotted period of time as stated by law, but everyone will not be required to wait 5 days.

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back