"Big Ol Hole in Plane"

MissPriss

?Big hole? in Qantas plane prompts landing - News - MSNBC.com

‘Big hole’ in Qantas plane prompts landing
Jet touches down in Manila after mysterious 'explosive decompression'

MANILA, Philippines - A hole the size of a small car in the underside of a Qantas jumbo jet carrying 346 passengers forced the pilot to make an emergency landing Friday after a rapid descent over the South China Sea.

Ladies and Gentlemen, thats why im scarred to death of flying!

And that is just one of many reasons whay I don't fly. Never have, never will. I know, I have heard all the stats before about how you are more likely to be killed in a car. Doesn't matter. I am still not flying.

The significant fact here is that a hole the size of a small car is ripped into the belly of the aircraft and it still flew and managed to land safely.

And that is just one of many reasons whay I don't fly. Never have, never will. I know, I have heard all the stats before about how you are more likely to be killed in a car. Doesn't matter. I am still not flying.
I just avoid the planes with holes in them. That strategy has worked so far.

Looks more like a repeat of what happened on the Hawaiian flight a number of years back, metal fatigue, caused by too many landings n takeoff cycles.

Looks more like a repeat of what happened on the Hawaiian flight a number of years back, metal fatigue, caused by too many landings n takeoff cycles.

Alohaairlinesdisaster.jpg

It was an "Aloha Airlines" plane that "converted" in mid-flight between Hilo (ITO) and Honolulu (HNL). This was back in April of 1988. Here's a link to an article: Link Removed

I rember as if it were yesterday. Folks were worried about flying and some even speculated that it was an act of terrorism. Sounds familiar???

gf

I believe it was time to change some underwear.Poor maintance no excuss.

Mostly why I didn't fly on their airlines. BTW, they finally went out of business earlier this year. Crappy equipment + crappy facilities + crappy customer service = outta business! Can't say I miss them one bit.

gf

I'm not defending Quantas maintenace but to me it looked like the outside air scoop which brings in air to the air conditioning/pressurization unit ripped off. It is only a very thin outer layer. NOT a hole in the airplane. I have seen this many times and it is usually caused by a goose strike. However I don't know at what altitude it happened and how much later the incident occurred. But good pilots brought it down safe. Thank you pilots.

You can see the scoop at the bottom of the hole in this picture.

So far, they're thinking an O2 tank blew, because some of the masks didn't work. That seems like an oddly designed backup feature...it's like a fire extinguisher that starts a huge fire when it fails. Fine time to have an emergency then.

The CEO for Qantas said,

"There are thousands of aircraft flying around the world today. Things happen. Something has happened here and we cannot speculate any more about what did happen."

So, it's good to know that they're aware something has happened. Whew!

I rember as if it were yesterday. Folks were worried about flying and some even speculated that it was an act of terrorism. Sounds familiar???

gf

Yeah that is the incident, but you have my curiosity up how is it that you remember it so well were you ground crew or maybe the person that snapped the picture???

One more thing , O2 tanks don't just explode, they are a heavy cast cylinder that is pressure tested annually and re certified every time they are re filled, pure O2 is an accelerator in a fire, so that theory is a little weak, I still lean toward the metal fatigue. Either that or the creature from the "Twilight Zone" episode was busy again.

Last edited:
Last time I flew was from DC to Charlotte. After about 15 minutes in the air I was sitting in a window seat looking at the wing when a bolt of lightning struck the wing. I had a great view of it and other than a flash, loud noise and several people heading to the lavatory it really wasn't much to it. I did not feel the shock from the lightning this time as I have at least five times before. (On the ground, not in a plane). After a good 10 minutes the pilot came on the PA system and said not to worry, it was just lightning and they would get us to Charlotte safely. I was starting to question that as we had to circle for about 20 minutes waiting for a thunder storm to pass over the Charlotte airport.

Mostly why I didn't fly on their airlines. BTW, they finally went out of business earlier this year. Crappy equipment + crappy facilities + crappy customer service = outta business! Can't say I miss them one bit.

gf

Let's not forget sky high prices for jet fuel. That by itself has caused many airlines to go belly up in the past year.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back