Open carry legal in Michigan

One more souce of proof....

So who's seen this? MSP Legal Update Take note of the upper right hand column "Open carry of firearms"

Guilty as charged, those boys have way too much testosterone and too little of a sense of humor, but they do get good discussions going on occasion. Ah the luxury of youth.

Oh N more more thing CCW is a swear word on their forum.

Last edited:
Guilty as charged, those boys have way too much testosterone and too little of a sense of humor, but they do get good discussions going on occasion. Ah the luxry of youth.

But Generally we have accurate information on open carry and don't put up with nonsense. As for the sense of humor some think I'm a laugh riot. And after the age of 50 my testosterone is shrinking along with other things, sad to say.

It has been pointed out to me that the link I posted although is open for all to view you must be a LEO to receive the updates.

It has been pointed out to me that the link I posted although is open for all to view you must be a LEO to receive the updates.

I receive them and I'm not an LEO. Most likely they put that up there to deter people, much Like no gun signs on public property. Al I can say is give it a try if you want receive them via emails. Otherwise they are available on the MSP website.

Here is the info we handout to those that want to learn more about open carry in Michigan. A CPL holder can both carry concealed or openly. Check out the infomation below.

YOU CAN OPENLY CARRY A HANDGUN IN MICHIGAN*

1) Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a safety inspected handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL. Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.

What about on public property?

Pistol in a Vehicle?

Hey ya'll sorry to dig up an old thread but I just found out that open carry was legal in MI and there's one point that confuses me, which I can't seem to find much information about.

The law says:
A person is now permitted to transport a pistol for a lawful purpose if the owner or occupant of the vehicle is the registered owner of the firearm and the pistol is unloaded and in a closed case in the trunk of the vehicle. If the vehicle does not have a trunk, the pistol may be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle unloaded and inaccessible to the occupants of the vehicle.

A 'lawful purpose' includes:

* While en route to or from a hunting or target shooting area.
* While transporting a pistol to or from home or place of business and a place of repair.
* While moving goods from one place of residence or business to another place of residence or business.
* While transporting a licensed pistol to or from a law enforcement agency for the purpose of having a safety inspection performed (registering the pistol) or to have a law enforcement official take possession of the pistol.
* While en route to or from home or place of business to a gun show or place of purchase or sale.
* While en route to or from home to a public shooting facility or land where the discharge of firearms is permitted.
*While en route to or from home to private property where the pistol is to be used as permitted by law, rule, regulation, or local ordinance.

So what I'm confused about is them listing out what 'lawful purpose' is. Open carry is fully 'lawful' as far as I'm concerned. How am I supposed to transport a pistol that I intend to open carry? :unsure:

my understanding is, if you are open carrying, once you get to your car you need to unload the firearm and store it while traveling as outlined above (unless you have a license to carry concealed). I don't open carry but have been told by others to print out open carry laws and keep a copy in your pocket when you are open carrying because cops don't always know the law.

my understanding is, if you are open carrying, once you get to your car you need to unload the firearm and store it while traveling as outlined above (unless you have a license to carry concealed). I don't open carry but have been told by others to print out open carry laws and keep a copy in your pocket when you are open carrying because cops don't always know the law.

+1 'Crow.. I have to go back and say the the posts by "Venator" are very good should be reviewed.

Thank you so much

I found this article to be truly enlightning; I just moved to Detroit from RI and with out thinking about it I surrendered my CCW when I left RI not knowing that MI would recognize it and figured I would apply for a CCW once I arrived here only to find that I need to reside here for 6 months prior to making application which could have been waived if I hadnt surrendered my RI CCW.

I was speaking with a Detroit Cop that is a friend of my bosses and he directed me to this article. It is nice to know that I can still carry while Im waiting to meet my residence requirements so long as its done openly.

Thank you s much for taking to time to write such an informative article.

~RJ

This past summer Oxford MI had a open carry picnic in our township park. It rustled some feathers, but all went well.

So what I'm confused about is them listing out what 'lawful purpose' is. Open carry is fully 'lawful' as far as I'm concerned. How am I supposed to transport a pistol that I intend to open carry? :unsure:

It is my opinion that if your sitting in a vehicle with a sidearm it is not readily visable and thusfar considered to be councealed. It is my thinking that they intend this law to allow persons to transport firearms to such venues as shooting ranges, meets, rod & gun clubs, or an gun shop. Or to any place you intend to carry it in public.

It's a pain in the :nono: to need to clear and store the weapon when you enter your vehicle and the load and holster at your destination; not to mention you risk offending a gun grabber that will call johnny law to complain that they saw someone putting on a gun. Then not to mention having to clear, box & store it once you go to leave!

Open Carry & auto transport

If open carry is legal. I should be able to carry my weapon in non restricted areas for the sole pourpose of self defence. Is this a legal reason to transport (Closed case Unloaded etc) in a motor vehicle. Are the state police examples all inclusive or just examples. The state police do not make law. What is the law on transport if I only want to bring my weapon along to carry openly when I am not in my vehicle?

Thanks

Brian

First Always Seek a qualified Attorney for legal advise.
Pretty much, if you get into a car/motor vehicle or jump on a motorcycle, your concealed. Check the rest of these post in this thread and also check some of the "linkback to" below. Some great questions and discussions.

Question

This information is really quite helpful and Its not that I dont trust you all but does anyone know if there is a link to the actual legal documents I just want look this up for myself I'm kinda cautious like that.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back