Looking for ideas on a 45

McMail

I have small, thick hands and I am finding it hard to find a 45 locally that I can hold properly. I have a Sig 238 for concealed carry but I am looking for a 45. Anyone have any ideas for models, grip modifications etc?

Any help appreciated.

FN FNP-45 includes several different backstraps so you should be able to find a comfortable fit. FN makes some good products, but if you want to conceal this gun it will be hard since it is quite big.

If you want to conceal the gun, try one of the S&W M&P 45 line. The Glock 36 might also work for you, but you certainly want to try it out before buying, if possible, to make sure you can hold it properly.

FN FNP-45 includes several different backstraps so you should be able to find a comfortable fit. FN makes some good products, but if you want to conceal this gun it will be hard since it is quite big.

I have a FNP-45. I have large hands and short fingers like I'm assuming the OP does. Even with the smallest backstrap it is a large handful. A 1911 is much smaller to hold. A Kahr P45 has a small grip also and is easy to shoot. I'm thinking a single stack will fit better.

Try a Glock or Para Warthog or the Slimhog....

I love my Warthog..Never thought I would carry other than the Glock 27, but I find myself carrying them both..IWB on the hog and ankle for the Glock..

I've ran about 500 rounds through my Hog and had no FTF issues...

The Glock has 5000 plus rounds with no FTF..

If you live in a city that has an indoor range and you are able to rent a handgun for a short test, why not start with that? In addition, folks at a local range may be able to help. I know if I were asked by someone in my area I would be happy to provide the ammo and the weapon. Actually, I would love to show off my rather puny collection.

Thanks for all the quick responses. I did find an M&P 45 to look at today. I liked it and it did fit well. I am going to try to find a rental if I can to shoot it. I also found a full size 1911 with a shorter combat trigger that might work.

All the double stacks are too big unfortunately and I did find a Glock 36 to try. Could not grip it.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. Glad I found the forum.

I have a Springfield Armory 1911 Champion 45 compact and a Sig P250 45 compact both are excellent cc guns.

My wife has what sounds like the same issue you do. She handled a Colt New Detective and it fit her hand nicely.

I carry a G30 SF, very reliable and extremely accurate. I love this weapon and there is something about having a .45 on your hip :)

Thanks for all the quick responses. I did find an M&P 45 to look at today. I liked it and it did fit well. I am going to try to find a rental if I can to shoot it. I also found a full size 1911 with a shorter combat trigger that might work.

All the double stacks are too big unfortunately and I did find a Glock 36 to try. Could not grip it.

Once again, thanks for the feedback. Glad I found the forum.

First, welcome to the forum. Be forewarned that when you ask such open questions, you'll get a bunch of opinions that are completely and totally biased toward each individual's favorite guns... I am probably in that group but I'll try to be objective.

I have a similar problem - smaller hands and short fingers. (My Johnson is HUGE, but my hands are tiny. "Johnson" is the name I've given to my Louisville Slugger that I keep beside the door...) Without humor, we are just upright animals. So bear with me. I have ADHD.

I have tried and tried to find a "modern" pistol (Tupperware/Polymer) but always return to the Model 1911 single stack design. The DA (double action), striker-fired polymer models ALL have a trigger pull that is much too long for my stumpy fingers. I've shot dozens and dozens of them without success. I carry a Colt Defender in .45 ACP and find that its formed rubber grips (by Hogue) and its historically smooth trigger, fit me perfectly. Yeah, it costs more. How much is your life worth?

Good luck with your search and keep us posted. Take your time though. Purchasing a self defense gun is an important decision. Buy the gun that fits you well AND one that you can shoot with some accuracy. Then practice, practice, practice. And I don't mean only shooting it at the range. You need to practice deploying it from a cover garment, in various scenarios (like in your car) and you must practice reloading. All of it matters.

Again, welcome aboard. And grow some thick skin - you're liable to get flamed occasionally while here. All in all, the group is a great bunch of people, all arguing the same side, but they get there by different paths.

And so it goes...

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sigsag1
Back