My thoughts on the oil crisis

festus

God Bless Our Troops!!!
Here is a solution to the Oil Crisis...
Problem: OPEC sells oil for $141.74 a barrel yesterday.
Problem: OPEC nations buy U.S. grain at $7 to $10 a bushel.
Solution: Sell grain for $100 a bushel.

Can't afford it?
Tough Nuts!
Eat your oil!
Then, maybe oil prices will come down to a reasonable figure again.

Hunger is a powerful motivator!

Works for me. If we quit giving away every thing to the rest of the world we would be better off. After we do that lests start drilling our own oil. I still think we still have a lot right here.

Can't afford it?
Tough Nuts!
Eat your oil!

OPEC really doesn't have the ability to dial down the price of oil. It is mostly demand-driven and controlled by the market, although there are other contributing factors as well, like our weak dollar. If the Fed would raise interest rates, it would help to prevent inflation that might cause the price of oil to get even worse. Once demand maxes out supply, every 1% increase in demand causes a disproportionate increase in price, so things only get worse from there. We will probably not return for a while to the point of having any extra capacity in the system like we once did. Now if there's one hiccup, it's like getting kicked in the head.

We could see $7/gallon in two years. Now would be a good time to get a professional license (insurance, real estate, etc) of some sort to provide extra income, cancel any unnecessary bills, and start saving money like a squirrel headed for winter.

Last edited:

Can't afford it?
Tough Nuts!
Eat your oil!

Festus,

This has long been my concensus. Also, mark everything up. They like our Levi brand named jeans, make them 400.00 per pair. It applies to everything... Gas would drop the next day.

There's really nothing to be done about this. Drilling in the US will make some companies rich, but will not effect the global market enough to bring prices down at all. Now, if we created a nationalized industry to drill, extract and refine US oil, and made that exclusively available in the US, that would be different. But OPEC would cry foul and kick us in the teeth.

So we'll just have to tighten our belts and get more efficient. Demand increases, production flatlines, prices go up.

I'm buying a scooter.

Think again Ishi

There's really nothing to be done about this. Drilling in the US will make some companies rich, but will not effect the global market enough to bring prices down at all. Now, if we created a nationalized industry to drill, extract and refine US oil, and made that exclusively available in the US, that would be different. But OPEC would cry foul and kick us in the teeth.

So we'll just have to tighten our belts and get more efficient. Demand increases, production flatlines, prices go up.

I'm buying a scooter.

Drilling in the US will not only provide oil but jobs. Roughnecks, truckers, steel economic stimulus via more money = more toys.

Wrong again old buddy!

Can't afford it?
Tough Nuts!
Eat your oil!

Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We got ourselves into this mess when more than half the country decided they all needed SUVS or trucks when they could of gotten along just fine with a car. You had every soccer mom in America with a 15mpg fullsize 4WD SUV when they could have gotten a more effecient minivan. Fastforward a couple years and now the hybrids and compacts that used to be a trendy niche market is steadily becoming big seller. Of course there are other factors then just the truck/suv fad, but we sure didnt help the situation. Drilling in the U.S. isnt gonna fix the problem either, its only a band aid and like Ishi said it probably wont help as much as people wanna believe. We as a country need to be more effecient, take public transportation more in big cities, stop buying these gas guzzling trucks/suvs unless you absolutely need one, an invest in more alternative fuels.

I have an even crazier idea, and it goes like this. Why don't we take OPEC (a cartel), the government, speculators, and the anti-drilling environmentalists out of the equation and let the free market determine how much oil gets produced and consumed? Where the price of oil would end up is anyone's guess, but at least it would be a true reflection on how much a barrel of oil is really worth. If that price is too high, people would change their behavior on their own, and not because the government is forcing them to. What a concept!

Supply and demand - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We got ourselves into this mess when more than half the country decided they all needed SUVS or trucks when they could of gotten along just fine with a car. You had every soccer mom in America with a 15mpg fullsize 4WD SUV when they could have gotten a more effecient minivan. Fastforward a couple years and now the hybrids and compacts that used to be a trendy niche market is steadily becoming big seller. Of course there are other factors then just the truck/suv fad, but we sure didnt help the situation. Drilling in the U.S. isnt gonna fix the problem either, its only a band aid and like Ishi said it probably wont help as much as people wanna believe. We as a country need to be more effecient, take public transportation more in big cities, stop buying these gas guzzling trucks/suvs unless you absolutely need one, an invest in more alternative fuels.

That is exactly what our government buracrats want us to believe. That it is all our falt for using so much fuel and we are going to have to pay. No matter how many lies they keep telling us there is enough oil in the U.s. I know a geoligest friend who says that the earth is replentishing the oil and there is no shortage. There are a lot of others that hold this view but just like the scientest that do not following the evolution line or those that do not believe the global warming leftest they ae ignored by the news media. It is not all just from decaying bones as the the left wingers would have us believe. We have bought into a lie and now they are killing us with it.

That is exactly what our government buracrats want us to believe. That it is all our falt for using so much fuel and we are going to have to pay. No matter how many lies they keep telling us there is enough oil in the U.s. I know a geoligest friend who says that the earth is replentishing the oil and there is no shortage. There are a lot of others that hold this view but just like the scientest that do not following the evolution line or those that do not believe the global warming leftest they ae ignored by the news media. It is not all just from decaying bones as the the left wingers would have us believe. We have bought into a lie and now they are killing us with it.

I saw the special on the news with your geologist friend the other night....oh...whats that........
NO I DIDNT. Tell him to stop keeping it a secret and tell everyone that bit of useful information....if it exist

Of course its not our fault, its all an arab/OPEC conspiracy to bring down the mighty US.(rolleyes) Im not saying its all our fault, but we cant blame everyone else, its bussiness, you can't say if you were a oilcompany owner you wouldnt be milk us for all were worth. Money makes the world go round. Once again, im all for drilling in the US, but that will NOT fix the problem, regaurdless of what your "friend" says. All you whiners out there need to study some Economic's books and stop looking for someone in the government to magicalically drop the price of gas so you can go back to your 13MPG SUVS/Trucks!

I saw the special on the news with your geologist friend the other night....oh...whats that........
NO I DIDNT. Tell him to stop keeping it a secret and tell everyone that bit of useful information....if it exist

That's right I forgot the news tells us all the truth all of the time so if we do not here it on the news it can't be true and if we do it must be. Silly me.

Of course its not our fault, its all an arab/OPEC conspiracy to bring down the mighty US.(rolleyes) Im not saying its all our fault, but we cant blame everyone else, its bussiness, you can't say if you were a oilcompany owner you wouldnt be milk us for all were worth. Money makes the world go round. Once again, im all for drilling in the US, but that will NOT fix the problem, regaurdless of what your "friend" says. All you whiners out there need to study some Economic's books and stop looking for someone in the government to magicalically drop the price of gas so you can go back to your 13MPG SUVS/Trucks!

I don't want the federal government to do anything for me except quite lieing to us and screwing us. I can't believe that I am the only one here that does not think the government tells us the truth all the time of perhaps most of the time. Then again I do not believe in the easter bunny or the tooth fairy either

I don't want the federal government to do anything for me except quite lieing to us and screwing us. I can't believe that I am the only one here that does not think the government tells us the truth all the time of perhaps most of the time. Then again I do not believe in the easter bunny or the tooth fairy either

So you don't believe in the easter bunny or the tooth fairy, but you believe in God, some people may find that humorous and hippacritical. I don't think anyone here thinks the goverment tells us the truth all the time, thats why there's indictments, and top secret files, and scandals, but hopefully no one is so full of themselves to think the government is out to get them and thats there only priority. Come on man, everything isnt a conspiracy.

Heres a thought

If we build new refineries in the place of older less efficient plants, we are only helping ourselves...economically, strategically, environmentally and jobs for skilled workers.

If we then provide more of our own oil (we can't do it all at once but every little bit helps)...the prices will improve. Oil companies will make the same profits with less effort and the price of fuel will come down some.

Now if we take down enough tree huggers, there will be less CO2 and other greenhouse gasses and that will help also.

I suggest that all liberal tree huggers go green by riding bicycles, using solar powered everything and not watching TV or making unneccesary trips like to the voting polls...

We will all be happier

Carefull youall the term soilentgreen mean anything you.We might get more than we want.

So you don't believe in the easter bunny or the tooth fairy, but you believe in God, some people may find that humorous and hippacritical. I don't think anyone here thinks the goverment tells us the truth all the time, thats why there's indictments, and top secret files, and scandals, but hopefully no one is so full of themselves to think the government is out to get them and thats there only priority. Come on man, everything isnt a conspiracy.

QUOTE=LiquidG;28950]So you don't believe in the easter bunny or the tooth fairy, but you believe in God, some people may find that humorous and hippacritical.

tThat is right I believe in God rather than some kind of big bang explosion. I find it humorous that anyone would believe that. That is about as likely as an explosion in a junk yard producing a car.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back