SC Businesses Which Prohibit Concealed Carry?

17Load

I'm a TX transplant to SC (AD Military) and I was wondering if you guys could list any known/verified SC businesses which prohibit concealed carry on their premises', or have anti 2nd Amendment practices? I live in the Lowcountry (Charleston area).

I was going to go to the movies last night in Summerville, until I saw the SC 'No Concealable Weapons' sign on the main entrance to the theater. I've been an AF Career Enlisted Aviator (Loadmaster) for over 20 years, I do enough to protect their liberties, they don't get my money if they don't respect my liberties in return.

The theater was:
AZALEA SQUARE STADIUM 16
215 Azalea Square Blvd
Summerville SC 29483

I've emailed Regal Entertainment Group to see if this is a company policy or if it is just this specific theater. I cannot get a human on the phone at the theater, so I'll have to drive back up there to personally ask mgmt the same question. Regardless, I will not be patronizing the Azalea Square Stadium 16.

Any other business out there which I need to steer clear of?

Thanks!
17Load

p.s. I know there is another thread list which is for anti-gun businesses, but I'm not asking on a national level, I'm looking for SC businesses in particular. Thanks.

I did take note of the size, shape, color, etc. and then came home and researched it - it was the correct sign. I'm finding another theater.

Being new to the area, I'm still looking for a good gun club - but when I do, I'll be sure to post it.

Thanks for the input..

I agree with n4sxx. Unless the sign is state compliant, go in and go about your business. No one is going to know(that's the whole idea). You are not going to be frisked, and even if it was found out, they will ask you to leave, and IF on the outside chance the LEO's are involved, you can express that the sign is not state compliant, and when you were asked to leave, you did so. I carry a copy of what the sign should look like, and none of the places I have been to that post an anti-conceal carry sign are within state regulations. And if the sign was, then you go to the next establishment. Contact the their main branch or mother company, and find out what their company policy is. If it doesn't jive with our 2A, then put it on a list and extend the info to the rest of us, because I will not put money into the pockets of such places. When I go visit my parents in N.J., I make sure that I have enough fuel to get through MD., because I will not stop to get gas, buy a drink or food of any kind, etc. The only reason I spend money in N.J. is my folks living there, and I try to limit what I spend there.

There was a story not to long ago about a manager of a Wal-Mart that erroneously posted a "no carry sign", and the person who was carrying called Wal-Marts main office, and that manager was made to take the sign down. Sometimes we have managers that take liberties that are not company policy.

Even the Regal Theater in Aiken has the no concealed weapons sign. I just don't go the local movie theaters cause they cant show the movie in proper resolution or in the right dimension i pay for but that is another issue

Not advising anyone to break the laws but I carry constantly. If a business has a "no firearm" sign on it I try to talk with the owner or manager face to face and like a gentleman about their policy. As a last resort I tell them that I am going to post their stance about it on several local web pages and all my local E mail contacts. If they are unamerican enough to limit my 2ond rights then I am going to give my monies to another company.
ETA: Please post this at Carolinashootersforum.com --there are many from your area that need to know the movies stand.

Apparently, most theaters have these signs. The Huge Sandhills Cinema 16 in Northeast Columbia has a sign up on the window of the ticket booth.

Where at that theater was the sign? I dont recall seeing on there. At the same time, I dont recall seeing one at the Northwoods Mall theater either. I know the Babys R Us in North Chas has a sticker, but it's not the SC legal sign.

Jhodge83,
It was on the main entrance door - maybe the center door of all of the doors, but I don't exactly remember now. The theater in Mt. P (Palmetto Grand) is the same company, but I haven't found a sign on any of their doors.

I think with regal it's nationwide. I looked on their website a few weeks ago and it said no firearmsNever seen one at the local car mike theaters.

Just to pass it on even if the sign is not state compliant you know by the sign that the owner says no wepons, so if you are caught it is the same charge as if it is a proper sign. But that's why I don't give them my money.

Just to pass it on even if the sign is not state compliant you know by the sign that the owner says no wepons, so if you are caught it is the same charge as if it is a proper sign. But that's why I don't give them my money.

Um, I don't think that's correct. The only sign that matters is the one described in the law. They can ask you to leave if they know you're armed, and you must do so or be charged with trespassing. However, concealed is concealed.

Where did you get your opinion from?

Anyone else agree with this?

Read the Law:

SECTION 23-31-235. Sign requirements.

(A) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, any requirement of or allowance for the posting of signs prohibiting the carrying of a concealable weapon upon any premises shall only be satisfied by a sign expressing the prohibition in both written language interdict and universal sign language.

(B) All signs must be posted at each entrance into a building where a concealable weapon permit holder is prohibited from carrying a concealable weapon and must be:

(1) clearly visible from outside the building;

(2) eight inches wide by twelve inches tall in size;

(3) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black one inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(4) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle seven inches in diameter with a diagonal line that runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal;

(5) a diameter of a circle; and

(6) placed not less than forty inches and not more than sixty inches from the bottom of the building’s entrance door.

(C) If the premises where concealable weapons are prohibited does not have doors, then the signs contained in subsection (A) must be:

(1) thirty six inches wide by forty eight inches tall in size;

(2) contain the words “NO CONCEALABLE WEAPONS ALLOWED” in black three inch tall uppercase type at the bottom of the sign and centered between the lateral edges of the sign;

(3) contain a black silhouette of a handgun inside a circle thirty four inches in diameter with a diagonal line that is two inches wide and runs from the lower left to the upper right at a forty five degree angle from the horizontal and must be a diameter of a circle whose circumference is two inches wide;

(4) placed not less than forty inches and not more than ninety six inches above the ground;

(5) posted in sufficient quantities to be clearly visible from any point of entry onto the premises.

Last edited:
I just had another thought: My old Wachovia branch had a non-compliant sign but I notice that now that it is Wells Fargo the sign is not there. Does that mean WF is gun-friendly?

I just had another thought: My old Wachovia branch had a non-compliant sign but I notice that now that it is Wells Fargo the sign is not there. Does that mean WF is gun-friendly?

I havent seen any at my local WF's either. No sign=no restriction. WF took over and got smart apparently.

If the sign is not state compliant I ignore it. Chances are it may be there to appease the left:)

Exactly correct. I'm pretty sure that is the only sign that matters. On the same note, of course one can't carry somewhere prohibited by law regardless of signs or not, such as schools, hospitals, government buildings etc.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk

I agree with rrman... and TX is the same way. The only way a building/business is not open to concealed carry (legally) is only by posting the exact, mentioned by law, sign. (Which in TX, the Penal Code Section happens to be number 30.06 - kind of funny, actually)

If it is any sign other than the legal sign, then press on in (after deciding if you're going to give them your business anyway).

Laws are written to protect us as well as "them". This keeps anyone from writing/drawing something on a piece of paper declaring a gun free zone and posting it in a window, and then turning around and trying to sue a legal carrier.

The Palmetto Grand in Mt Pleasant, another Regal Theater, has a correctly posted sign on the doors on one side of the ticket box yet no sign on the doors on the other other side of the ticket box. I could see where you could concievably not see the sign if you bought your tickets and went in the right side doors.

There is however a small, non-correct sign, hard to see, at the ticket box itself.

I don't carry inside when I go because I respect intent, but legally, you could probably get out of a jam with the way the signs are posted.

KK

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back