Do You Carry Every Day?

Gee, after having read the responses thus far, I feel like less than a man with my carry habits:icon_wink:

I carry religiously whenever I leave the house. In the house I never have my gun on my person. It stays on the nightstand, and there is no round in the chamber (I only keep a round chambered when I carry on my person outside the house). I'm very careful not to have a round chambered at home, because I don't want to risk touching the trigger of a loaded gun while fumbling around in the dark for it.

I don't understand why anyone else knows you carry. Who told them? You ? Why ?

As far as hugging Grandma, you simply take the lower arm position, thereby directing their arms around your shoulders, away from your gun. (if you wear a shoulder holster, keep your arms tight to your body, forcing theirs to go around yours.)

As for answering the general "why do you carry" question, my response for years has been: "Because I refuse to entrust my life to the whim of another."

David E

I did have to ask the boss for time off for my Chl class, oops so he told some of our mutual friends and then it seemed anyone who knew everyone asked me about it inquisitively. It was new to me at the time so I explained to eager questions the proses of acquiring a Chl.
My friends tend to be a bit loud mouthed and gossip about anything they see or know(I need new friends). Most not to bright and don't understand that if you talk about it then one could target me for a new piece. Lets say It was my first mistake of my new life choice.

But no I don't let just anyone know I carry and I shouldn't have even told a single friend. I now keep such subjects privet, chl or gun talk, and my new coworkers don't know I carry at work. As far as my overprotective family ,and huggers, I hug arms low turned ever so slightly gun out and tell them don't ask if I am armed and they wont know.
Thanks, Mike.S

I don't carry, give me 4-5 weeks and I should have my ccw. But I can't carry at work so I'll have to stash it in the car. Fortunately the lot I park in has pretty good security and plenty of camera coverage. I'm so used to not carrying though, I really don't know how much I'll do it. We'll have to see when the time comes.

I don't carry, give me 4-5 weeks and I should have my ccw. But I can't carry at work so I'll have to stash it in the car. Fortunately the lot I park in has pretty good security and plenty of camera coverage. I'm so used to not carrying though, I really don't know how much I'll do it. We'll have to see when the time comes.

Once you have done it for a while you will feel naked without it. It is as second nature with me now that it is just about as automatic as putting on my pants before I leave the house. There are just to many bad things that can happen in this day and age to not have an equaliser with me./I]

I caffy evey day, and I am retired and hom most of the time............ You never know when you will need it.. My daughter wondered why I carried at home, untill the Drunk tried to force her way in one nite... Then she relized why........

When I first got my permit I was only going to carry when I thought I might need it. I quickly realized that that was pretty dumb. You never know when you may need it. I carry all the time and rarely go where it's prohibited.
Even at home there is always the mouse gun in my pocket and others not far away.
For showers--gun goes in a plastic bag next to the shower. The gun can be grabbed and still fired while in the bag and the gun stays dry.
At first I would feel a little uncomfortable when I carried. Now I feel real uncomfortable if I don't

I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb, but I never carry. Not that I don't want to, but I typically am not in situations where I can legally. I am a student, and I work at the university. We can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. And we have just got the ok to carry in local WalSmarts.

Those are my typical rounds in town. This has put me in a very compromised position, as I've gotten pretty lazy and don't actually carry when I go to places where I should (convenience stores, WalSucks, parks, and just around town in general).

Essentially the only time I carry is when the family is on vacation (in the car) or I know I'm going to be doing some backpacking in the wilderness (also not a local event).

I need something to fix this, maybe a real-life bg situation.... or maybe just a couple of more guns so I can have a full range of choices depending on attire...

Its a bad habit, but the first step to rehabilitation is admittance.

Lets just pray....

I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb, but I never carry. Not that I don't want to, but I typically am not in situations where I can legally. I am a student, and I work at the university. We can't carry in restaurants that serve alcohol. And we have just got the ok to carry in local Walmarts.

Those are my typical rounds in town. This has put me in a very compromised position, as I've gotten pretty lazy and don't actually carry when I go to places where I should (convenience stores, Walducks, parks, and just around town in general).

Essentially the only time I carry is when the family is on vacation (in the car) or I know I'm going to be doing some backpacking in the wilderness (also not a local event).

I need something to fix this, maybe a real-life bg situation.... or maybe just a couple of more guns so I can have a full range of choices depending on attire...

Its a bad habit, but the first step to rehabilitation is admittance.

I need something to fix this, maybe a real-life bg situation

...that it does not turn out to be a terminal situation.

Since Idaho is an open carry without a license state, why don't you just carry openly? Just because you can't carry concealed does not mean you should not carry. Unfortunately, I did not have that option here in Indiana; while I was waiting for my permit to arrive, I just had to take my chances and not carry. But if I had to option of open carrying while waiting for my CC permit to arrive, I'd take it. Better to carry openly than to not carry at atll.

CRASH CROURSE:

When hugging have your gunside arm go low on the other person's waist. This forces their arm to go up on your shoulder, thus preventing them from feeling your gun if you are carrying behind the strongside hip.

Biker

Most of what you get on these forums is a rehash of something you have heard before ... but I have to admit ... That one, I never thought about and makes a whole lot of sense!

Everyday, All day, NO exceptions! If the place of business I go to is posted, I do business elsewhere. If I can't go in with my firearm, I don't bother going in.

I carry every day, everywhere. I live on a working cattle ranch more than 30 miles form the nearest town. We're an OC state with CCW as well. Today I got a haircut in town and took off my outer shirt (legal CCW) for the haircut and my .45 was obvious to all (legal OC). No one cared, altho there were the usual friendly jokes and guffaws about "Be polite to that guy!" etc.

If someone asks me why I tote I ask them why they have a fire extinguisher.

If someone asks me why I tote I ask them why they have a fire extinguisher.
I use the same analogy (and also carry a fire extinguisher in my car). The only possible case in which you would need one, is the same situation in which you would not have time to go out and buy one.

Everyday, All day, NO exceptions! If the place of business I go to is posted, I do business elsewhere. If I can't go in with my firearm, I don't bother going in.

If a business is posted and is not off limits under the law, I ignore it. The way I see it, if they don't frisk patrons at the door, their no gun policy has no teeth in it whatsoever. Furthermore, what they don't know won't hurt them.

Since Idaho is an open carry without a license state, why don't you just carry openly? Just because you can't carry concealed does not mean you should not carry. Unfortunately, I did not have that option here in Indiana; while I was waiting for my permit to arrive, I just had to take my chances and not carry. But if I had to option of open carrying while waiting for my CC permit to arrive, I'd take it. Better to carry openly than to not carry at atll.

I lived for nearly 50 years in the one of the murder capitals of the country without carrying (Los Angeles). I have no desire to tote around a hogleg openly where I live now where most serious crime is pretty much non-existant.

BTW, I now have my ccw, I still only carry maybe 30% of the time and usually only in higher threat situations, i.e. at night or while hiking far from town. I don't want to carry just for the sake of carrying. I'll leave that to others who feel the need. I don't. :)

I lived for nearly 50 years in the one of the murder capitals of the country without carrying (Los Angeles). I have no desire to tote around a hogleg openly where I live now where most serious crime is pretty much non-existant.

BTW, I now have my ccw, I still only carry maybe 30% of the time and usually only in higher threat situations, i.e. at night or while hiking far from town. I don't want to carry just for the sake of carrying. I'll leave that to others who feel the need. I don't. :)

I don't think any law abiding citizen carries "just for the sake of carrying." We carry because we know that no matter where we go, regardless of how serious the crime problem is, crime can and does strike at any time, and we just want to be prepared. God forbid this were ever to happen to you, but if you become a victim of crime during the 70% of the time you're not carrying, I can guarantee you'll feel the same.

LOL, point is I still have a much higher chance of dying from a headon collision by a drunk driver, and it's even more so in Idaho tha n LA as crime here is much less. I still get out on the road everyday though. When I don't carry, the risks are acceptably low for me.

BTW, I've suffered a murder in my immediate family, I'm not sure if most here can speak from experience like me but I do know the risks better than most. But your post indicating I should carry open regardless of those around me freaking out (and they do) when it's not necessary in my learned opinion, borders on religious zeal, forgive the comparison. There is a time and place for everything in life, and I've found my level of comfort.

Anyone here and elsewhere is free to do as they wish, but I don't need any schooling or questioning of my motives, thank you.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back