Finding a pro-2A lawyer?

h2ojunkie

While we all hope the day never comes where we need to defend ourselves, I would think it's not a bad idea to know/have a relationship with a pro 2A lawyer to handle any self defense claims.

And of course, there are the few anti cops out there, and while it's not a common problem in Nevada, a run in with one of these anti's could end up spelling trouble.

Considering those factors, do any of you keep your lawyers phone number handy at all times?

How did you go about finding a pro 2A lawyer in the first place?

This is something I've thought about for years, but it always seems to get put on the back burner. Maybe it's time I get off my but and actually know who I'm going to call should trouble ever arise in advance.

P.S. If you already know of a good 2A lawyer, please do let me know.

Here's one in California:
http://www.gunlaw.com/

And one in Texas:
Link Removed
I was actually sent info from Mr Elliott due to having an FFL. I assume he would take any firearms case and not just FFL cases.

Thankfully never needed one myself . . .

Many Nevada lawyers and attorneys are pro 2a, myself included. Unfortunatly there is a two fold dilema.
First, should you, as you suggested, be involved with anti-gun law enforcement, you are not entitled to counsel until you are arrested. The first few minutes of your encounter with the LEO are very dynamic and will no doubt determine the short term outcome of the event. The easy advice, and sometimes the best, is to just remain silent but this will likely result in arrest. The upside is that you haven't done any additional damage by making admissions that can later be used against you. On the other hand, if you decide to talk to the officer and impress upon him how the situation was beyond your control, you feared for your life, the other was a known bad guy, you're a good guy and so on, you just might go home. There is no way to advise you on what to do because there is no way to predict the situation. All I can say is think through the potential scenarios before they happen and use your best judgement as the situation unfolds. At the end of the day, if it is apparent that you will be arrested no matter what it is probably best to remain silent and let clearer heads work it out in the morning.

Secondly, no one counselor is going to be the best choice for all your needs. If you need a trust, go to a wills and trusts expert. If you need a criminal attorney, by all means pay for the best (pro 2a or not - we're in it to win regardless of personal inclinations). If you have a regulatory problem then an administrative law pro will be better for you. If you can find a firm with all you need then all the better.

That said, if you don't have a will you should. Go get one and talk to the lawyer about your concerns regarding this issue. He may be just the right guy. If you go to county one night at least he can get you bailed or call a friend that will.

One last thing - always, always be polite and deferential to the LEO. While you are on the street she has all the power. You may be absolutely correct, but they have the badge, and at that point probably your weapon, and a radio that will bring ten more officers that are not the least bit interested in your immediate point of view.

The usual disclaimers apply - not legal advice - no attorney client relationship - just some guy shooting his mouth off on the internet.

Good luck

I have a problem with this question as it appears that you feel that you are doing something wrong and need a lawyer in advance. I know everyone is going to jump all over me for this but I really don't like the attitude that some have about keeping logs of where they carried either openly or concealed then posting it on the Internet. I know they say it is providing information for others but it just looks to me like little boys sneaking a look at Playboy then telling their friends about it.

Like the winning football coach says, act like you been there before. If you are so worried about carrying that you feel that you need to have an attorney on retainer then you might need to revisit your reasons for carrying.

{Flame suit off}

While I don't think it's necessary to have a relationship with an attorney, or have one on retainer, I do think it's wise to know an attorney that you can call if things get out of control.

Many Nevada lawyers and attorneys are pro 2a, myself included. Unfortunatly there is a two fold dilema.
First, should you, as you suggested, be involved with anti-gun law enforcement, you are not entitled to counsel until you are arrested. The first few minutes of your encounter with the LEO are very dynamic and will no doubt determine the short term outcome of the event. The easy advice, and sometimes the best, is to just remain silent but this will likely result in arrest. The upside is that you haven't done any additional damage by making admissions that can later be used against you. On the other hand, if you decide to talk to the officer and impress upon him how the situation was beyond your control, you feared for your life, the other was a known bad guy, you're a good guy and so on, you just might go home. There is no way to advise you on what to do because there is no way to predict the situation. All I can say is think through the potential scenarios before they happen and use your best judgement as the situation unfolds. At the end of the day, if it is apparent that you will be arrested no matter what it is probably best to remain silent and let clearer heads work it out in the morning.

Secondly, no one counselor is going to be the best choice for all your needs. If you need a trust, go to a wills and trusts expert. If you need a criminal attorney, by all means pay for the best (pro 2a or not - we're in it to win regardless of personal inclinations). If you have a regulatory problem then an administrative law pro will be better for you. If you can find a firm with all you need then all the better.

That said, if you don't have a will you should. Go get one and talk to the lawyer about your concerns regarding this issue. He may be just the right guy. If you go to county one night at least he can get you bailed or call a friend that will.

One last thing - always, always be polite and deferential to the LEO. While you are on the street she has all the power. You may be absolutely correct, but they have the badge, and at that point probably your weapon, and a radio that will bring ten more officers that are not the least bit interested in your immediate point of view.

The usual disclaimers apply - not legal advice - no attorney client relationship - just some guy shooting his mouth off on the internet.

Good luck

Thanks for the information. In the 17 years I've had a CCW I've thought through the "what if" scenarios in my mind more than once. While I don't obsess about them, I do consider them.

The way I've come to look at it, the 1st and most important thing in any situation is, I'm still alive when it's over. After the encounter is over, my next priorities are to make sure I'm not in jail (and if it really is self defense, that shouldn't be an issue) followed by how do I protect my family from ending up in the poor house do to the inevitable civil suit. Since we have no civil protection in Nevada at this point for justifiable homicide, this is a serious concern to anyone with assets to protect. I may not be rich by any one's standards, but I do make a good living and have a successful business. Which would make me a prime target for a civil lawsuit.

Having your case ruled justifiable homicide as opposed to going to trial and being found not guilty, I would think carries a lot of weight in the final outcome of any civil suit to follow.

When it comes to the moments after an incident, no matter what you believe in your mind, no one really knows how they will react if the time ever comes. Since I have no way of knowing in advance what my state of mind would be if I ever did have to use my weapon in self defense, I've decided my safest bet is to say nothing. If that means a night in jail until calmer heads prevail in the morning, then so be it.

This is where my original question started from. I'm from NY, now living in Nevada. My business is an Oregon corporation. So all my connections with attorneys (both personal, and business) are out of state. So I posted up here in hopes that someone would have a solid connection with a local criminal attorney, or at least some advice on how to find one.

I've never had a need for a criminal lawyer in my life, so how to shop for a good one escapes me. And I'd much rather do the shopping now, when I don't need one, and am in no hurry to find one, instead of having to grab the first name I find in the yellow pages should a time ever come where I need one on the spot.

I have a problem with this question as it appears that you feel that you are doing something wrong and need a lawyer in advance. I know everyone is going to jump all over me for this but I really don't like the attitude that some have about keeping logs of where they carried either openly or concealed then posting it on the Internet. I know they say it is providing information for others but it just looks to me like little boys sneaking a look at Playboy then telling their friends about it.

Like the winning football coach says, act like you been there before. If you are so worried about carrying that you feel that you need to have an attorney on retainer then you might need to revisit your reasons for carrying.

{Flame suit off}

From your comments, it would appear you're reading the priorities of my original post in reverse.

The main priority, is knowing who to call should you ever have to defend yourself. It's a secondary benefit to have someone to call should you ever run into a general problem when lawfully carrying.

From your comments, it would appear you're reading the priorities of my original post in reverse.

The main priority, is knowing who to call should you ever have to defend yourself. It's a secondary benefit to have someone to call should you ever run into a general problem when lawfully carrying.

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my comments. I am friends with several lawyers and LEO and if something were to come up I really don't know who I would call after I called my wife. My plan would be that if something were to happen the first thing is to be truthful to the best I can. Second is don't volunteer anything extra.

TV has gotten us into all these ideas of what it going to happen and real life isn't like that at all. You are not going to be taken down to jail and your lawyer going to get you out in 30 minutes. More than likely there is going to be an investigation and then any charges to be brought. It is always good to have the number of a lawyer handy but don't worry about him being pro 2A or whatever. The main thing you will nedd a lawyer for is to get you out of jail on bond and to tell you to shut up. Once they do that they will either defend you or refer you to someone who can. Remember that you can change lawyers any time. Just because one gets you out of jail doesn't mean you have to stick with him for the trial. This isn't like a TV show where they solve the whole case in 1 hour and your first appearance isn't going to be in the state Supreme Court like on Law and Order.

Everyone needs to have a lawyer's nuimber available for all sorts of things. What is beyond maddening is when you pay one to write up and contract and when you get sued for something in it he says oh, you need someone else for that, I can recommend a few to choose from. Believe me that will be the likelyhood unless you plan on getting arrested ahead of time.

Until I actually need a lawyer I can't say who I would get. I know that if I am innocent the one I will call is different than if I am guilty. There are some that do specialize in those situations.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back