Re-certifying after 10 years.

Raider-3

A friend of mine lives about 30 miles north of leadville, in lake county. He is up for renewing his ccw. The sheriff there told him he wouldn't renew his permit until he took a ccw class again, because the last time he took it was 10 years ago. I was confused. I have never heard of this in colorado with the research I have done. Am I missing something or is this sheriff out of line?

Sorry, Raider3, but the Sheriff is right. "Proof of training" such as a CCW class has to be less than 10 years old. Check the SO's website for a copy of the application with training requirements, etc., but all of the Metro counties are clear about the date requirement on the training documentation per CRS 18-12-203. For all who are current, make sure you watch your expiration date and get renewed! It will save you time, money, and grief. :)

I was told that the 10 year renewal requires another CCW class. I was also told that it may eventually be changed but I guess at this point it hasn't. The sheriff is correct.

Hmm, I'll re read and and do some more research because I thought it was less than 10 years from when you apply, and then you just pay your renew every 5 years

It doesn't suprise me. In Mn, you have to redo the class every 5 yrs for renewal of your permit.

Is it really a big deal? There could well be law changes you would be un awair of.

Is it a big deal that it will break the bank, no. its a money and a control thing with government, no matter state, local or federal. It is a big deal because it just more reaching to nit pick our rights. And if we let them take a little here and a little there, before you know it you have lost your rights. That's my rant for the night!

I want to make sure I understand this. I got my permit in 12/2007 it expires in 01/2013 I assumemy next one will be good till 2018 (unless we have Constitutional carry by then).

Now, are you saying that in 2018 I will have to take another class?

Treo:259667 said:
I want to make sure I understand this. I got my permit in 12/2007 it expires in 01/2013 I assumemy next one will be good till 2018 (unless we have Constitutional carry by then).

Now, are you saying that in 2018 I will have to take another class?
Well I'm not convinced yet. I'm going to look into this

Here is a direct link to the Adams County concealed handgun permit info booklet. It specifically states you must have a training certificate obtained within the last 10 years.

Link Removed

Get your firearms training certificate out and look at the date it was issued. If the date on your firearms training certificate is more than 10 years then you will have to retake whatever firearms training class that is required by Colorado CCW renewal law before submitting your application for a renewal of your CCW.

Note it is the firearms training certificate date that has to be less than 10 years old when you apply for the renewal CCW.

Is it a big deal that it will break the bank, no. its a money and a control thing with government, no matter state, local or federal. It is a big deal because it just more reaching to nit pick our rights. And if we let them take a little here and a little there, before you know it you have lost your rights. That's my rant for the night!

Raider-3,

I understand that you are upset, but it is completely unfounded. If you will, step back and think about this critically.
You do not appear to be upset that, in order to obtain a new CCW permit, you must take a CCW course and give evidence of this to the sheriff. You appear to be upset that you (or your friend) must take the CCW course *again* in order to *renew* his permit. Right?
If that is the case, and I believe it is, then "nit pick[ing] our rights" is not a valid argument. Your friend is asked to do no more than he did 10 years ago: no additional cost, no additional time, no additional background checks, no additional anything that he did not already do willingly 10+ years ago.
If your argument was for the necessity of the original class, you would have a valid point (of which it is inconsequential if anyone agrees). Since your argument is against *renewing* a license, which you also must do for hunting, driving, practicing medicine, etc., you lose your validity.

Most of the responders here have told you that the sheriff is correct. Listen to them. The sheriff did not create the law; conversely, he is bound by it. If the law requires valid proof of a CCW class in the past 10 years, then the sheriff must see valid proof of a CCW class in the past 10 years to renew the license. It is as simple as that.

Can you cite this?

Treo,

Deserteagle gave one link to cite the "with the past 10 years" requirement for proof of CCW course completion. Here is another link:
Link Removed

Excerpt:
"will be required to provide us with proof of pistol training or qualification dated within ten years of your original application."

I object to permits on GP. That said what is the point of taking the same class again and again to get a permit? I didn't have to take driver's ed more than once. I would think that fact that I've been carrying for 10 years (at that point)w/out incident would be fairly strong proof I can safely carry a firearm.

Renewing Carry Permit

The person from Minnesota is correct. We must redo a class and reapply after 5 years in order to maintain our carry permit.

Washington State has NO training requirement. Pay the sixty five bucks, get your permit in the mail ten days later (in MY counnty). that's IT. and THAt is an infringement upon MY Second Ammendment right to KEEP and BEAR. Requiring any form of training sets the bar higher than the COnstitution intends, as ANY barrier, restriction, requirement is an infringement... as is the demand of a fee for the "permit" (permission to do what I am already entitled to do?) The SCOTUS threw out a poll tax as a requirement for exercising the right to vote as a limitation or infringement of that right. A "permit tax" (the REQUIRED fee for the Mother May I document) is exactly the same thing. Requiring one to pass some sort of class is a more egregious form of more yet.

Ok so I was wrong you do have to take the class every ten years. A little background on it is the NRA origionaly lobbied to require it every two years, lost that but did get ten. It gives them more money and ensures the NRA sets the standard of what the class the class should be.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back