Inform a taxi driver or not of your CPL and firearm?

My point is this:

There are plenty of people who carry concealed firearms who say it is "polite", "responsible", etc. to tell a police officer of the presence of the firearm. They will criticize those who don't, won't, and recommend against informing a police officer if not required by law to do so. Yet those exact same persons say, "NO WAY! Why would I tell a taxi driver about my gun?!?"

My question is, why should I or anyone else tell a police officer about a lawfully carried gun when no one thinks you should tell the taxi driver? What does it accomplish to tell a cop about the same gun that telling a taxi driver doesn't accomplish? So why do some people feel they should tell a cop when they aren't required by law to, but turn around and say NO WAY to the taxi driver? Taxi drivers are in more danger from guns on their jobs every day than police officers are.

SC requires to notify LEO's when they present themselves to someone that CC. Don't read noting in the Law that requires me to notify a CABBIE. CC is CC.

" Would you notify a taxicab driver and provide them with you CPL if you were taking a taxi somewhere while armed?" Not no, but H*** NO!You shouldn't tell anyone, unless legally required to do so.

The following is simply my opinion:
c-o-n-c-e-a-l-e-d. I don't inform my barber, grocery store clerk, post office clerk, jiffy lube tech, car wash attendents, plumbers/electricians, insurance professional, and on, and on, and on... Hell, i didn't inform my kid's teachers on parent/teacher conference night, church clergy or members, and i don't tell bank tellers or my employer. Sign or no sign, law or no law, the only time I've gone unarmed in a place of any business (or anywhere) is the court house where they use a metal detector. I may or may not have (wink) CC'd into the police pen to register the two guns I carried otherwise. (Before this year my city had a gun registry whether or not you had a CWP, made sense to register at least my two primary carry guns in case they ever had to be used. One less ankle biting to endure from any prosecuter)

For me, and it's only my opinion, a 'no guns' sign or law dictating where I can or can't have at least a chance to defend my life is at the very least disgusting, morally repugnant. Anyone suggesting I should inform a taxi driver I'm carrying is someone I'd picture wearing a propeller-beenie cap and a diaper while politely saying "thank you".

To the authors of the linked to written piece offered in the original posting: Thank you. ...They are proof that people can have common sense educated right out of their skulls.

My point is this:

There are plenty of people who carry concealed firearms who say it is "polite", "responsible", etc. to tell a police officer of the presence of the firearm. They will criticize those who don't, won't, and recommend against informing a police officer if not required by law to do so. Yet those exact same persons say, "NO WAY! Why would I tell a taxi driver about my gun?!?"

My question is, why should I or anyone else tell a police officer about a lawfully carried gun when no one thinks you should tell the taxi driver? What does it accomplish to tell a cop about the same gun that telling a taxi driver doesn't accomplish? So why do some people feel they should tell a cop when they aren't required by law to, but turn around and say NO WAY to the taxi driver? Taxi drivers are in more danger from guns on their jobs every day than police officers are.

Sorry LCDR, I think your original intent was lost somewhere along the way. I get it, though.

I have no ill feelings towards cab drivers but I don't see why I would want to do that. It could easily get confrontational if not downright dangerous (considering that a lot of them don't speak English very well and I am not a native speaker either).

You could say the same about any other place you might go and enough of them already ban weapons, I don't see the need to potentially further limit myself.

Would you notify a taxicab driver and provide them with you CPL if you were taking a taxi somewhere while armed?
A taxi driver? I first read this thread and thought you were kidding. I still think you may be pulling our collective "leg".

I don't see him pulling anyones leg. The main reasons for telling a police officer you are carrying have been, "its courteous," and "officer safety." Can anyone explain how it makes an officer safer? If its solely based on courtesy, then a taxi driver who is 4x times more likely to be shot, should have the same courtesy as police, if not more. If the police can confiscate you firearm for officer safety, shouldn't a taxi driver also be able to do so for their safety? Would you hand over your weapon until you reach your destination? These questions are for those that willingly give up their rights, those that would not inform or consent to either an officer or cab driver need not answer.

My point is this:

My question is, why should I or anyone else tell a police officer about a lawfully carried gun when no one thinks you should tell the taxi driver? [/B][/U]

Seems to me because the cop, even though he may not have the legal authority, has ability to find out if he wants to ("Sir, step out of the car and put your hands on the hood"), and when he does find out he has the means to put a lot more hurt on you than a taxi driver does.

This if course is not a statement that I think you SHOULD tell the cop ...this has nothing to do with what is right or legal, only situational prudence. And in Texas a cop will find out that you have a CHL when they run your license.

So, my question is this, especially to those who say that you should notify police officers, even when the law does not require it:

Would you notify a taxicab driver and provide them with you CPL if you were taking a taxi somewhere while armed?

Nope. Taxi drivers are just members of the public like all of us. If we notify taxi drivers because they have high homicide rates, then we should notify all the general public because we have high homicide numbers too, almost 14,000 people were murdered in the US in 2009.

I'm with chen and mendoza. If I'm being stopped or questioned, I am more likely to tell a cop because of the power he has been granted. It doesn't mean I always will, and it is not necessarily the brave thing to do. LCDR's point, and it is a valid one, is that we shouldn't have to inform, and we shouldn't assume that just because someone has a badge that they have the authority to force us to.

I don't automatically inform LEOs because I am worried about them going home at night...I inform them because I don't want any confusion that will prevent me from going home in one piece.

I have no reason not to inform, and that tiny chance that it may prevent a misunderstanding that will get my butt shot is well worth it. Been shot before and it just isn't as much fun as one might think. I'll pass from here out.

If you get stopped by a cop when he runs your Lic he will find out you have a CCW if you tell him before he finds out it might make him feel safer everyone I talked to that informed the cop that stopped them said they got off with a warnimg for what ever they were stopped for I haven't been stopped and we are not required to inform in Nevada but I will tell him as soon as he approches my car

I never take taxis. I do ride the local Miami Transit buses and always make it a point to notify the friendly driver that I am carrying. I try to do this quietly so the usual gang bangers sitting in the rear don't overhear.

With a wink and a nod,the driver relaxes.We're buddies now.He/she knows I've got their back on those mean Miami streets.
So far after 24 years of doing this routine not one shootout yet. Maybe we've just been lucky.

But tomorrow, who knows? :biggrin: We'll be ready.

I will inform LEO's because I must do so under the law in my state but anyone else no! You may as well wear a T shirt with a target on your back, I do not inform my banker, the local Walmart cashier or even the Pizza delivery boy.

Hell no!!!

It's none of his or her damn business to know what you have a right to carry! If in the slight chance that on the cab there is a no gun sign, why would you even patron that perosn's service?!?!?!

localgirl:226289 said:
I'm with chen and mendoza. If I'm being stopped or questioned, I am more likely to tell a cop because of the power he has been granted. It doesn't mean I always will, and it is not necessarily the brave thing to do. LCDR's point, and it is a valid one, is that we shouldn't have to inform, and we shouldn't assume that just because someone has a badge that they have the authority to force us to.

I will not tell him unless I believe its in MY best interest. Not sure you understood my standpoint. This officer is a stranger to me, I will treat them as a stranger, just like I treat taxi drivers as strangers. Neither get to know about my sidearm unless its pertinent to MY safety.

So, everyone be honest here..do you tell officers for their safety or because you feel you have less of a chance of being shot by a canton *aka psycho* officer?

In certain areas of the country, Taxi drivers are often armed in spite of policy. NM had a series of armed robberies and violent assaults (at least one deadly) of Taxi Drivers many years ago, finally one desperate driver shot back. After that incident and a few other 'situations', things got much quieter in the NM Taxi business.

Couple this with G50's question about informing the front desk at a motel/hotel, I would think if the cab driver is taking me to a motel, I should be able to combine the release of such information at that time and kill two birds with one stone (no pun intended).

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back