NY Supreme Court 3rd Disctrict race

rheaj

Fellow New Yorkers:

Judge Patrick McGrath, Democtrat, sitting on the bench in Rensselaer County, is running for New York State Supreme Court Judge 3rd disctrict. This would be a term of FOURTEEN years in a very powerful seat. McGrath is running against incumbant Justice Anthony Carpinello, Republican. Carpinello has served as a trial judge in Ulster and Albany counties before winning his current term in the Supreme Court.

McGrath sent a letter out to all Rensselear county pitol permit holders stating that he too has a pistol permit, and will protect people's ability to obtain permits. The letter was reported on by the Times Union, and the lin and text of the article are below.

Those of you in Rensselaer County - please post here as to how permits in McGrath's county are issued "target" restricted. Tell us about your experience with this judge! Did you get one of these letters?? If so, post it here please!

Who do you want to put on the NY Supreme Court for the next 14 years? A judge who sends letters to you saying he is pro-permit while issuing them restricted only to target shooting?

I welcome counter-point posts!! Am I off base here?

Here is the link and the arcticle:
Link Removed

In his race for state Supreme Court, Judge Patrick McGrath sent
letters this week to thousands of pistol permit holders saying he
will not abandon them should he win higher office.

McGrath, who has served on the Rensselaer County Court bench for the
past 14 years, addressed the letter to "Dear Fellow Pistol Permit
Holder" and said he has signed more than 20,000 permits and
amendments to permits since 1994. He has had the sole responsibility
for pistol permits in Rensselaer County.

The holder of a permit for nine years, the judge wrote in bold
letters, "My pistol permit is very important to me as I know yours is to you."

McGrath, 55, a Troy Democrat is seeking a 14-year-term on state
Supreme Court in the Third Judicial District, and should he win a
spot on that bench, his chambers will still be in the Rensselaer
County Courthouse, "and I will still be responsible for all pistol
permits in Rensselaer County," he wrote, also in bold.

Although his opponent on Nov. 4, incumbent Republican Justice Anthony
Carpinello, took issue with the letter, McGrath said he's comfortable with it.

"I received a lot of inquiries," McGrath said Friday. "A lot of
holders wanted to know what would happen if I become a Supreme Court judge."

He said he has "established a pretty good relationship with all the
rod and gun clubs over the years, and they have been happy with the
way I handle permits." Some club members told McGrath they weren't
going to vote for him because they wanted him to remain a county judge.

The letter was "an informational thing," the judge said, although he
couldn't say how many were sent out, other than it was in the thousands.

He said he obtained names and addresses through a Freedom of
Information request, saying it's a public record and such information
is used all the time for political purposes.

McGrath is trying to unseat Carpinello, 60, of East Greenbush,
seeking re-election to a second 14-year term. Carpinello, who serves
on the Appellate Division of state Supreme Court, found fault with
the letter not because it dealt with the licensing of firearms but
rather because of what it said.

"I am pro-Second Amendment and believe in the constitutional right to
bear arms, but I feel the tone of the letter is problematic,"
Carpinello said. "The clear tone ... is that I'm a pro-pistol permit judge,"

Carpinello doesn't have a permit but has issued many while serving in
Albany and Ulster counties as a trial-level judge. The Third Judicial
District encompasses seven counties.

"I don't think it's appropriate for a judge to say ... that 'I'm pro
pistol permit,' Carpinello said.

"Every application should be judged on its own merits, so I think
there's some ethical implications to the tone of the letter."

He also takes issue with the part stating if elected to Supreme Court
McGrath would continue to handle permits, calling that "inaccurate.
There is absolutely no authority in law for that statement," he said.

In Rensselaer County, it's customary for county judges to handle
permits. If McGrath is elected to Supreme Court, a new county judge
could get the task or it could be assigned to the other county judge,
Robert Jacon, Carpinello said.

Meanwhile, McGrath survived a challenge to his Working Families Party
nomination and will have that line.

Allegations were the Working Families Party didn't have a quorum at
its judicial nominating convention. Supreme Court Justice Michael
Lynch in Albany ruled there was adequate representation, a decision
upheld by the Appellate Division.

The Court of Appeals declined to hear the case Friday.

So, McGrath has the endorsement of the NYSRPA. He is not given a rating, but is listed under "Other Endorsements." Can anyone post here and tell us about Judge McGrath? What has been your experience getting a permit in Rensselaer County? What has been your experience getting restrictions removed? Do we want this guy in the Supreme Court for 14 years???

Dated response but worth it

I realize that the election is LONG over and Judge McGrath won, but I had to chime
in. I have been a republican all my life and for the first time ever voted democrat.I'll tell you why. Yes when you get a permit from Judge McGrath is states target and hunt only. BUT, all you have to do to get an unrestricted permit is take and advanced course (shoot about 4 rounds and hit black), write a letter to the judge explaining why you think you should get an unrestricted and boom...you get it. I had ZERO problem getting mine and in fact was called by Judge McGrath himself only 4 days after giving him my letter having him tell me he is granting unrestricted to me.

In my honest opinion to biggest problem to the whole thing was Joyce in the clerks office. She really likes to give people a hard time getting permits. She yells at people and talks them down....yet claims to be a NYSNRA member. So in conclusion, Judge McGrath IS all he claims to be.

I realize that the election is LONG over and Judge McGrath won, but I had to chime
in. I have been a republican all my life and for the first time ever voted democrat.I'll tell you why. Yes when you get a permit from Judge McGrath is states target and hunt only. BUT, all you have to do to get an unrestricted permit is take and advanced course (shoot about 4 rounds and hit black), write a letter to the judge explaining why you think you should get an unrestricted and boom...you get it. I had ZERO problem getting mine and in fact was called by Judge McGrath himself only 4 days after giving him my letter having him tell me he is granting unrestricted to me.

In my honest opinion to biggest problem to the whole thing was Joyce in the clerks office. She really likes to give people a hard time getting permits. She yells at people and talks them down....yet claims to be a NYSNRA member. So in conclusion, Judge McGrath IS all he claims to be.

The fact that you have to ask permission and jump through all those hoops to exercise a God given and Constitutionally protected right is nonsense...

The fact that you have to ask permission and jump through all those hoops to exercise a God given and Constitutionally protected right is nonsense...

I will not deny that fact. When I was stationed in NC, I walked into the clerks office said I wanted a permit and walked out 15 minutes later $10 less rich and with a permit. NY has nearly a 6 month period and then you have to further it if you want CCW. However, its still possible in the nanny state.

I will not deny that fact. When I was stationed in NC, I walked into the clerks office said I wanted a permit and walked out 15 minutes later $10 less rich and with a permit. NY has nearly a 6 month period and then you have to further it if you want CCW. However, its still possible in the nanny state.

It offends my libertarian sensibilities... Live in MA same kind of crap happens here. Permits are issued by the town police departments. It depends on the chief, some issue Class A no restrictions and others will not. Complete and utter *********... It's the culmination of years of "reasonable restrictions" that all become infringements...

Unfortunately denying the right to carry has been determined to not violate the constitution according to the Supreme Court.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back