Hr 822.. National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act of 2011

Rustell

Rustell
A hearing was held last week to hear testimony on HR 822 which will allow you to carry your handgun in any state that allows conceal carry as long as you have a permit from your home state.The video link below is of the hearing held last week..It is a little long,but I had no trouble watching the entire 90 minutes..Very encouraging..

Link Removed

HR 822 is in committee and needs our support..
Contact your congressman and let them know how you feel..

Link Removed

We have an excellent chance of passing this important piece of legislation

HR822 is a great danger to the 2nd ammendment! What it's proponents hope for is well and good, but can you name anything that once the Feds get a piece of, they don't impose more Fed rules? The Fed have rules for traffic and driver licensing. If a state doesn't comply, it gets no Fed funds. Same with education, public services, etc etc. HR822 allows the "camel's nose under the tent." It won't be long if 822 becomes law(ten years at the most) that the Feds will control all ccw in the country. Mark my words!!

Does this bill do away with the federal school zone issue, think not, you can still be prosecuted.

I wonder about that...does this paragraph do that?

`(b) A person carrying a concealed handgun under this section shall be permitted to carry a handgun subject to the same conditions or limitations that apply to residents of the State who have permits issued by the State or are otherwise lawfully allowed to do so by the State.

isn't it a "condition" of having a permit to carry in the GFSZ?

Possibly, Ron Paul introduced a bill in July to do away with Gun Free School Zones, hopefully item b does protect concealed carry folks from different states still do not like feds involved in gun carry straight constitutional 2A carry. POS Obama most likely will not sign anyway.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I reiterate that 822 has the potential for destruction of the right to carry concealed because it forces Federal intervention to the CCW world. Can any of you identify a thing the Fed gets involved in that does not entail Fed control at varying levels? The level seems minor and unobtrusive at first, but eventually it imposes Fed requirements on it. Look at Fed education involvement that was initially only to be funding of schools. Now it is heavily involved in curriculum and testing requirements. Highways and traffic control are controlled by Fed withholing of funds to states that do not comply with Fed requirements. The list goes on and on. So eventually the Feds will be controlling CCW if the HR822 is passed. On the other hand, Obama would probably veto it even if it were to pass the Senate.

But the whole concept is fraut with danger.

JimPage, Thank you for the post. I will certainly reconsider my previous position for support. Some of the local permit requirements are absurd and the inability to travel unimpeded is leading me to support of this bill. Your point regarding the Feds is well taken.

I can appreciate that, but for those of us that live in "shall issue" states, it's bad news; If our states don't record/register/issue CCW's, there is no record to provide to authorities in other states...

Meaning, until this passes the senate, If I have my 9mm with me, and I and my Wife get accosted/attempted robbery at a rest stop along I-91 in Springfield or Holyoke, I'm the bad guy because I'm defending me and my own? And because states like Mass, Conn, and NY are so anally screwed up because of their restrictions on law abiding residents to own or carry a firearm at all...

I'm going to CT from VT, travelling thru MA with a firearm in my vehicle; I'm not stopping for anything, and I could care less about your Draconian gun laws. I would if I were a criminal but I'm not. So WTH is MA (and CT for that matter) such a stick up the A$$ when it comes to individual firearm owners rights as guaranteed by 2A?

I'm going to CT from VT, travelling thru MA with a firearm in my vehicle; I'm not stopping for anything, and I could care less about your Draconian gun laws. I would if I were a criminal but I'm not.

That's a very contradictory statement. I could care less about your laws, I'm not a criminal?

Nice!

KK

Sorry if that sounded wrong... I meant that I normally drive straight thru without stopping, unless I gotta pee so bad my back teeth are floating, I don't stop or pull over until I get to CT...

I was trying to say that without HR822, If I were to CCW in MA I'd be labeled a criminal, with little hope of clearing myself at a cost of less than a few hundred, non spendable bucks...

Link Removed

According to this it's not so bad. plenty of ammendments to make it "fair" enough. If you're eligible to carry and have a permit you can carry in any state that issues a permit. That's what I got from it... this seems to be a pretty accurate source as well.

HR822 is a great danger to the 2nd ammendment! What it's proponents hope for is well and good, but can you name anything that once the Feds get a piece of, they don't impose more Fed rules? The Fed have rules for traffic and driver licensing. If a state doesn't comply, it gets no Fed funds. Same with education, public services, etc etc. HR822 allows the "camel's nose under the tent." It won't be long if 822 becomes law(ten years at the most) that the Feds will control all ccw in the country. Mark my words!!

Words marked... I disagree. This bill isn't about federal control of CCW's. This bill is about interstate acknowledgement of a common right. The area where a person lives determines their eligibility to get a CCW and once they meet the criteria they can carry with that license in any state. At least, that's my take on this. Either way, I don't see federal control of CCW's becomming an issue in any event.

As of 11-20-11

U.S. House Passes NRA-backed

National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Legislation

The U.S. House of Representatives has passed an important self-defense measure that would enable millions of Right-to-Carry permit holders across the country to carry concealed firearms while traveling outside their home states. H.R. 822, the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act, passed by a majority bipartisan vote of 272 to 154. All amendments aimed to weaken or damage the integrity of this bill were defeated.

“NRA has made the National Right-to-Carry Reciprocity Act a priority because it enhances the fundamental right to self-defense guaranteed to all law-abiding people,” said Chris W. Cox, executive director of NRA’s Institute for Legislative Action. “People are not immune from crime when they cross state lines. That is why it is vital for them to be able to defend themselves and their loved ones should the need arise.”

H.R. 822, introduced in the U.S. House by Representatives Cliff Stearns (R-Fla.) and Heath Shuler (D-N.C.), allows any person with a valid state-issued concealed firearm permit to carry a concealed firearm in any state that issues concealed firearm permits, or that does not prohibit the carrying of concealed firearms for lawful purposes.

This bill does not affect existing state laws. State laws governing where concealed firearms may be carried would apply within each state’s borders. H.R. 822 does not create a federal licensing system or impose federal standards on state permits; rather, it requires the states to recognize each others' carry permits, just as they recognize drivers' licenses and carry permits held by armored car guards.

As of today, 49 states have laws in place that permit their citizens to carry a concealed firearm in some form. Only Illinois and the District of Columbia deny its residents the right to carry concealed firearms outside their homes or businesses for self-defense.

“We are grateful for the support of Speaker Boehner, Majority Leader Cantor, Majority Whip McCarthy, Judiciary Chairman Smith and primary sponsors Congressmen Stearns and Shuler for their steadfast support of H.R. 822. Thanks to the persistence of millions of American gun owners and NRA members, Congress has moved one step closer to improving crucial self-defense laws in this country,” concluded Cox.

I hope that it will get through the Senate. I think the votes are there but getting it by the Senate rules will be tough. I realize that there is alot of mistrust(WITH GOOD REASON) of any law comming from Washington DC. But the is a good law that deserves our support. Read it for yourselves and see if it does all of the horible things claimed. If Congress wants to enact tighter gun laws they do not need 822 to do it. Think about it being able to drive from California to Maine (not through the Peoples Republic of Illinois) and your permit is good. It MIGHT even show legislstors in the 'may issue' states that CCW isnt a bad thing and help change their laws.

"It MIGHT even show legislstors in the 'may issue' states that CCW isnt a bad thing and help change their laws."

Good point! There really are a lot of great things that can come from this. Of course, the final product will show the usual markers of political debate through amendments and such but all in all the effort is there and a regulation like this is new so it can be built on as it ages. Restrictions and freedoms can be added and taken through the actions of CCW holders being smart or stupid. I find it motivating to know that effort at a high level is being made to allow a more uniform CCW law. I like to see it compared to a driver's license. Once you have it, it's recognized uniformly. Some states allow right turn on red while others might not and situations like that will always be there. (and then there's the crazy stuff like not being able to tie your giraffe to a street pole on Sundays in Georgia) The point is that the effort is there and since it's in such a young stage we all have the ability to help shape the outcome 10 years down the line through our actions.

I don't think it's a good law. Do LEOs have to know the gun laws of every state when they pull you over? I think someone in congress will say "why don't we have a national registry of CCP, then everyone needs to conform to federal scrutiny, just to level the playing field." Then they model the restrictions after NY when the Libs are in power. Whenever has the government taken something over and did it better? There maybe good intentions here but I think it should stay a states right issue. In my humble opinion.

I don't think it's a good law. Do LEOs have to know the gun laws of every state when they pull you over? I think someone in congress will say "why don't we have a national registry of CCP, then everyone needs to conform to federal scrutiny, just to level the playing field." Then they model the restrictions after NY when the Libs are in power. Whenever has the government taken something over and did it better? There maybe good intentions here but I think it should stay a states right issue. In my humble opinion.

LEO's only have to know the laws of the state that you are in when you are pulled over. YOU have to know the laws of every state that you go through. When you go from one state to another the laws of the state you are presently in apply no matter where your permit is from.

Some state have the requirement to have the serial number of the weapon you carry, I don't have that issue in Texas. So now the crooks in charge are going to hand data to the Justice Dept, the same group that did not prosecute the black panthers voting issue. Illinois political crooks.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back