New to Alabama

defcon4

I recently relocated to Mobile from PA and I am considering becoming a permanent resident here. I have a PA resident license and an AZ non resident license so I am able to legally carry here. The information brochure from the Mobile sheriffs department states that I have to be a resident of Alabama for six months before I can be issued a permit. While researching Alabama gun laws I see where it says that Alabama will not recognize any out of state permits of Alabama residents. Am I correct in my understanding of Alabama law that I will have to forfeit my 2nd amendment rights for six months while waiting to meet the sheriffs 6 month residency requirement?

Yup. That's exactly what it means.

OR you could keep your PA driver's license (and rely on the AZ non resident permit) for the 6 months and then change everything at once.

Yup. That's exactly what it means.

OR you could keep your PA driver's license (and rely on the AZ non resident permit) for the 6 months and then change everything at once.

Be careful if you follow this comment as some states give you only 30 days to change your driver's license. You could end up being placed into a "dual criminal" status. I would check with an attorney that is 2nd Amendment friendly to keep you on the bright side of the law.

13A-11-85 It states that Alabama will honor out of state permits that give the same weight and recognition as Alabama does. It finishes however by saying that it will honor out of state permits only if that person is not a resident of Alabama.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back