Your comments on horizontal shoulder holster

I have and use a galco shoulder rig. I like it. I am a big man (250 @5'6") My first choice is OWB @ 8:00 under light cover garment.(left handed)I hope you let us know what you finally decide.

I'm curious as to what a 'light' cover garment means- what do you do when temps hit 90+ degrees Fahrenheit?

Hawai'ian is a good way to go...

I love to wear a Hawaiian shirt (open in the front) over a solid color light T-shirt.

I have some of the "loud" prints I got in Hawai'i (go figure- who knew?), but I got some really good ones at Wal-Mart last summer. They are steel blues, pewter grays, light green, etc with very subtle palm trees that are just barely a different shade. Also, look into the 5.11 Tactical brand concealed carry shirts.
Link Removed
If anyone has other ideas, I'm all ears!

I wanted to let all know the outcome of my consideration of a shoulder holster. It all started because I was considering carrying a G21 or occasionally a 1911. Both are pretty heavy and I considered a shoulder holster would be a bit easier to deal with.

A couple of things that influenced my decision were the shoulder holster, if horizontal, was pointing backwards and could be unsafe; also whether vertical or horizontal, I heard a lot of people who had worn one complain of the straps on the shoulders and "knowing the holster was always there." I guess it's like wearing suspenders: while some people like them, many do not. Additionally, one guy I spoke with mentioned that wearing a coat in Texas is a pretty short season (its around 65 degrees today).

It finally dawned on me that instead of finding the "perfect carry", I could actually carry two different guns based on the seasons. I decided to carry my G30sf and go with a Bianchi Black Widow - this is an OWB leather holster with a pretty good forward cant and very comfortable. I wear it at the 4 o'clock position under a winter vest. I also have the mag holder on the other side at 8 o'clock. The .45 is pretty much undisputed and the G30 carries 10+1, which should be enough to serve everyone that comes to the party. :biggrin: In summer I will stick with the G23 .40 with 13+1 of high performance defense ammo, and use an IWB that I am already used to. I also bought a very stiff Gould & Goodrich gun belt to wear with jeans and holds the Bianchi very well.

I thank everyone that posted to the thread. It opened up some factors I had not considered, and that is what is real good about this forum and all your comments.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back