Here come the chips

BeauRyker

Only the beginning, I'm afraid. Pretty soon there will be a new Obama law requiring this. Gun control on the sly. Chiappa just lost a dealer.

Link Removed

eh... RFID isn't all it's cracked up to be.

It's not like someone could sit in a room in DC and click "find this gun." At best, they'd have to drive a vehicle within a few hundred feet. And then, RFID is easily defeated with a simple thin metal barrier. (See RFID-blocking wallets.) The RFID chip couldn't be inside the metal structure of the weapon for that reason; which means it would either have to be on the outside of the weapon, or inside the handle under plastic grips. In that case, just remove it if it's on the outside, or look for what is about to be a new industry of RFID-blocking grips. (Hey, I just read the whole article, and look at that, that's what the US distributor recommends.)

If I had a choice between two performance-identical weapons, one with RFID and one without, I would pick the one without. But I will make my purchase decision with that being the very last determinant. If the RFID-equipped weapon is absolutely the one I want, with the second-place being even slightly distant, I'll pick the RFID-equipped, then remove/block the RFID chip.

Obama is toast... chips in handguns is yet another clear violation of the Constitution, as we do not have to buy something we don't want. We do not want a government tracking chips in our own possessions. Enough with this Big Brother ********! Can't wait for this General election, it can't come fast enough!

It's not like someone could sit in a room in DC and click "find this gun." At best, they'd have to drive a vehicle within a few hundred feet. And then, RFID is easily defeated with a simple thin metal barrier. (See RFID-blocking wallets.) The RFID chip couldn't be inside the metal structure of the weapon for that reason; which means it would either have to be on the outside of the weapon, or inside the handle under plastic grips. In that case, just remove it if it's on the outside, or look for what is about to be a new industry of RFID-blocking grips. (Hey, I just read the whole article, and look at that, that's what the US distributor recommends.)

If I had a choice between two performance-identical weapons, one with RFID and one without, I would pick the one without. But I will make my purchase decision with that being the very last determinant. If the RFID-equipped weapon is absolutely the one I want, with the second-place being even slightly distant, I'll pick the RFID-equipped, then remove/block the RFID chip.

I am aware you can remove the chip. Shouldn't be there to begin with. There is a principle, among other things, involved. If you feel a-ok with it, more power to you. Then, you'll probably feel comfortable with what will be coming down the road. Your government is looking out for you Ed.

First of all, where does Obama fit into this?? It's a foreign company with a very small footprint in this country that's chosen to put a chip in their firearms. I don't like Obama any more than the rest of you but I still can't see the link. What next....Obama is the reason N. Korea is a communist state?? Instead of blaming everything on your favorite, biggest target (BO) perhaps we should examine the issue with clear eyes.

Besides, "President" Obama will become "Citizen" Obama in about 16 months and the next administration can start to clean up the mess.

First of all, where does Obama fit into this?? It's a foreign company with a very small footprint in this country that's chosen to put a chip in their firearms. I don't like Obama any more than the rest of you but I still can't see the link. What next....Obama is the reason N. Korea is a communist state?? Instead of blaming everything on your favorite, biggest target (BO) perhaps we should examine the issue with clear eyes.

Besides, "President" Obama will become "Citizen" Obama in about 16 months and the next administration can start to clean up the mess.

I agree, well said

I was commenting solely on the gun company choosing to do this. I don't see this happening as a government-mandated thing at all. Biometric safeties fell away, this won't get traction either. I still think it's amazing people still claim Obama is out to destroy gun rights, when he hasn't done one thing to limit gun rights, even when the Dems controlled House, Senate, and White House.

Why? Because the Dems now know that nationwide, there are too many Democrats out there now that believe firmly in gun rights (or at worst, are in districts that would vote them out if they supported gun control,) so things like that just won't fly. I mean, hell, the Dems HAD a super-majority for a short time, and still didn't get anything "drastically liberal" done!

I don't want to have to buy a gun that I have to dismantle so I can remove the chips. My gun is not a dog. It doesn't need a ID chip! Chip! Chip! Chip!

Why? Because the Dems now know that nationwide, there are too many Democrats out there now that believe firmly in gun rights (or at worst, are in districts that would vote them out if they supported gun control,) so things like that just won't fly. I mean, hell, the Dems HAD a super-majority for a short time, and still didn't get anything "drastically liberal" done!

I know a couple of liberal Dems that are pro-gun. It would be very difficult to pass any sort of "nightmare scenario" nationwide law. No Republicans would vote for it and there are too many Democrats who would give it a big thumbs-down as well (for a variety of reasons).

I was commenting solely on the gun company choosing to do this. I don't see this happening as a government-mandated thing at all. Biometric safeties fell away, this won't get traction either. I still think it's amazing people still claim Obama is out to destroy gun rights, when he hasn't done one thing to limit gun rights, even when the Dems controlled House, Senate, and White House.

I agree that Obama didn't get anything through Congress, but just look at his appointees, they are just as important as legislation.

Funny thing about the company's cute little plan to put chips in guns is that simply putting a small magnet on your gun will cause the chip to malfunction and not work. Magnets make electronics stop working, and so does water, and they cant blame you for "accidentally" getting water on your gun and frying the chip. Not to mention just taking it out manually...

I did about 5 minutes of Google research and found this link: http://www.itn-international.com/faq.html. Nice overview of RFID systems. The big thing I took away was the amount of data the typical RFID tag holds: not much. They're not likely to be able to put your name and address on these things, especially at the factory, where they don't yet know your name.

For the dealer to add info, they'd have to add an RFID writer, and you'd be aware of it.

The worst misuse of this I could see would be some sort of scanner that would be a different kind of gun detector, where they're running a long range reader to see what pops up. The catch here is that RFID systems are all still proprietary. You have to know what system S&W, Ruger, Colt, Kimber, etc used to be able to read their tags. That'd make for a big honking scanner.

In my mind, RFID in guns is no different than the serial number.

The problems are these; first, RFID chips mandated by the Italian Government, so all Italian firearms will include them (Beretta,etc.); second, if this plan fly's, US Government could mandate them, then make it illegal to remove them, just like serial numbers; third, the law of unintended consequences exists and there is no telling where that can go, especially with an untrustworthy government/ I don't know about you folks, but my feelings about them are that I know that I don't know the truth about what goes on, I know that I will probably never know, but I also know that they're lying to me. I think that the less the government knows about me, or what I'm doing, the better off I am, as government policy seems to be to find out what we are doing and stop us from doing it. If that fails, to extort as great a percentage of the profits as possible, and to pretend to be our benevolent uncle, so they can continue sticking it to us year after year.

I can see the scare here, but honestly I'm not that worried about it. However, it does remind me of Metal Gear Solid 4 (video game nut). In the game each gun is ID tagged to the specific soldier and "can't" be reprogrammed to be used by anyone else and by a button click the gun can be disabled. I put the quotes because if you play the game you find a gun launderer who can reprogram them for you. I see this coming soon, how soon I don't know, but soon.

Why? Because the Dems now know that nationwide, there are too many Democrats out there now that believe firmly in gun
rights (or at worst, are in districts that would vote them out if they supported gun control,) so things like that just won't fly. I
mean, hell, the Dems HAD a super-majority for a short time, and still didn't get anything "drastically liberal" done!

Obamiecare! "drastically communist" done!

For those of you who think no Republican would vote for gun control, consider this, from Treo:

"As for the liberal gun grabbing scum here is some food for thought.

Paul Helmke Republican
Josh Sugarman Republican
Sarah Brady Republican
James Brady Republican
Michael Bloomberg Republican

Richard Nixon Republican
In 1969, journalist William Safire asked Richard Nixon what he thought about gun control. "Guns are an abomination," Nixon replied. According to Safire, Nixon went on to confess that, "Free from fear of gun owners' retaliation at the polls, he favored making handguns illegal and requiring licenses for hunting rifles."
Ronald Reagan Republican
It was Governor Ronald Reagan of California who signed the Mulford Act in 1967, "prohibiting the carrying of firearms on one's person or in a vehicle, in any public place or on any public street." The law was aimed at stopping the Black Panthers, but affected all gun owners.

Twenty-four years later, Reagan was still pushing gun control. "I support the Brady Bill," he said in a March 28, 1991 speech, "and I urge the Congress to enact it without further delay."
Rudi Giuliani Republican
One of the most aggressive gun control advocates today is Republican mayor Rudolph Giuliani of New York City, whose administration sued 26 gun manufacturers in June 2000, and whose police commissioner, Howard Safir, proposed a nationwide plan for gun licensing, complete with yearly "safety" inspections.

Yup it's those damn libs you gotta look out for"

wooddoctor:229419 said:
Obamiecare! "drastically communist" done!
Without drifting too far OT, Obamacare is hardly "done." 3 of the 5 courts that have heard challenges have overturned major portions, and one of the courts only ruled on jurisdiction issues. SCOTUS will hear it, and I really doubt they'll uphold all of it.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back