wild boar

bigdogbarber

I know that if I am carrying and in fear for my life or others, I have the right to eliminate the threat. I'm sure that also means for wild boar, but does anyone know the exact law in SC for shooting a boar? If I am walking with my family and come across one, am I going to get in any trouble for eliminating that threat? Thanks for any advice.

BDB

I doubt if you'll have any problems....just don't plan on strapping it to the hood of your car and driving home with it :biggrin: If something like that does happen you should immediately report it to the nearest LEO. Making a report of it goes a long way to show that you weren't just out blasting critters.

I occasionally spend some time out in the sticks here in Fla and have seen some pretty nasty razorbacks. Fortunately they weren't in a position to threaten me. Bear and (of course) gators too. That's why I leave the pocket guns at home and bring the bigger stuff when I'm camping or off-road motorcycle riding. Nothing less than a .357.

Most states have a 365 day a year season on wild hogs now. Get a hunting license so you can avoid getting fined for hunting without a license in case the game warden does not buy the self defense argument.

With the introduction of some Russian breeds of wild hogs into America's wild hog population. There has been some very large hogs come about. They go upwards to and over 1000 lbs and they are super aggressive. You better have something on you that will blow a tree down to stop one, unless you get that one shot of in the eye or ear. My dad butchered hogs as a kid using a .22 pistol. One shot, in the ear or eye. Never shoot one between the eyes, the hardness of the head and angle, usually only ricochets. As far as the self defense goes, you shoot one in that size range, self defense is probably not going to be doubted. But, yes, a hunting license just in case wouldn't be a bad idea. One final thing, don't think you will take it down and have it processed to fill you freezer. They taste terrible at that size. Never had one but have been told.
Just my two pennies chipped in on the subject.

If you ever run into a 1000 lb boar you can just run away. He isn't going to run real fast anyways. Also if one ever does get to be that big you could bet you wont see it in the day time. Its a smart pig and he can stay away from the hunters.

If you ever run into a 1000 lb boar you can just run away. He isn't going to run real fast anyways. Also if one ever does get to be that big you could bet you wont see it in the day time. Its a smart pig and he can stay away from the hunters.

It's the 150-pounders with the 4" teeth that worry me. Can't outrun those.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back