Anyone Hunt Wild Boar?

johioss

I want to go Boar hunting but I'd like some tips first. Do you typically hunt from a tree stand? How do you find/track them? Just any information would be helpful as I don't know the first thing about hunting boar. Thanks!

I hunt them with a Hawken and here in Georgia it's a year round hunt since they're considered nuisance animals. If you have a population they won't be hard to find as they damage terrain. While you could use a tree stand after finding a prime spot, I prefer to stay on the ground and get as close as I can. Take a look at the following and see if it helps. Good luck.

Link Removed

I hunt boar here in Hawaii with bow and arrow, my .357 mag, 12 gauge 00 buckshot, and with the trusty Ruger M77 .270. Only time I'm up in a tree is when using my bow and arrow. Most times I'll figure out where the boar are and find a nice hiding spot at ground level. All of the above listed firearms will do just fine while hunting wild boar.

I hunted boar with a bunch of friends in GA. It was sweet, because at the time we were allowed to "spotlight" them with a light that was powered by 6 volts or less.

Happy hunting!

gf

Just a word of wisdom. There is one type of wild boar you want to avoid at all cost. It's considered very unpredictable with tough bitter meat. So please be careful if you see the following .......

hillary_bf.jpg

"Just a word of wisdom. There is one type of wild boar you want to avoid at all cost. It's considered very unpredictable with tough bitter meat. So please be careful if you see the following ......."

OOOOOOWWWWW,MY EYES!

"Just a word of wisdom. There is one type of wild boar you want to avoid at all cost. It's considered very unpredictable with tough bitter meat. So please be careful if you see the following ......."

OOOOOOWWWWW,MY EYES!

lol..... Sorry probably should have put a warning with that post!

If you were here in southern SC, in the swamps, you'd have a couple of grenades handy... been treed by a couple of monsters

Howard

I've been thinking about going boar hunting for the first time. I've actually never hunted, and I hate those suckers. I have a Swiss K-31 (7.55x55) that is chambered in essentially a .308. Does the Swiss round have enough knockdown power to take a boar, or do I need to beef it up a bit?

Shot placement. I hunt with 357 mag. Love it. Horse back is neat as getting on your knees and crawling through thickets to get to them. A young sow will taste the best.

I've been thinking about going boar hunting for the first time. I've actually never hunted, and I hate those suckers. I have a Swiss K-31 (7.55x55) that is chambered in essentially a .308. Does the Swiss round have enough knockdown power to take a boar, or do I need to beef it up a bit?

.308 is more than adequate. I've taken wild boar with .22 mag.

gf

I want to go Boar hunting but I'd like some tips first. Do you typically hunt from a tree stand? How do you find/track them? Just any information would be helpful as I don't know the first thing about hunting boar. Thanks!
The way I've always seen people do it is put a platform in the back of a truck, park it in the brush and wait. Kind of like a mobile "tree stand", and if it runs you can chase it.

BTW, in case you don't know, boars are pretty fierce fighters with those tusks, so watch out.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back