Does it Make Sense to Get a .22 Pistol?

Jeff S

JSGlock26
I carry a Glock 26. Shoot a couple times a month at a range and dry fire with the laser bullet at home. Besides cheaper ammo (more practice), is there any other reason why I should consider getting a Walther P22 also? I'm not sure if I should just shoot what I carry or would also shooting more of the .22 help with my overall abilities even though it has less recoil and would be a different trigger feel.

I have a .22 just for fun and practice. It's a different feel from everything else but a WHOLE LOT CHEAPER to shoot. And it's still fun.

There is nothing wrong with carrying a 22. It will get the job done as long as you have good shot placement.

I purchased the .22 conversion kit for my Sig p229. As long as you use the right ammo, you can fire that thing all day long relatively cheap. I get to use the same gun I normally would, but for much less. The trigger pull is the same, the grip feel is the same, everything is the same except for the recoil. Big advantage of owning a Sig.

You can't go wrong with a .22. As long as you are comfortable and proficient with your primary carry there is no reason why shooting a .22 pistol could hurt you. And as you mentioned, the cost of ammo is cheap so that could equal more range time. I would not abandon regular practice with the Glock. The recoil will be different and each gun has it's own personality but the more the merrier I always say. My friend has a P22 with a silencer and it is a blast to shoot. It is a big difference in recoil as compared to my Glock 27 but I shoot both guns well.

I looked at the .22 conversion kit and would love one, but THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. 200 on backorder at Glock world since Jan 2009. Similar story wherever I look. Advantage arms should hire more people but what do I know! Hard to find a .22 with similar controls to my Glock 26.

Absolutely YES! Very good weapon to practice trigger control with and a lot of fun to shoot. Very inexpensive to feed.

I have the Walther P22 and it is a great gun for cheap target practice and fun. It also holds 10+1 and is a legitimate carry gun as well.

Yes...I have a 22 and it is not only great to practice shooting cheaply, it can also kill squirrels.:biggrin: Nope can't shoot one around here. In Florida you can in your backyard.

Utilizing a .22 Pistol to better hone your skills as a shooter is a great way to work on your trigger control, hold control, breath control and sight picture alignment. Due to weight characteristics it will not feel the same as the Glock, but utilizing the .22 can improve your grip, squeeze and hold. It will not tire your wrist or charge you $30.00 each time you go to the range. Try utilizing different hand holds as well as the three fingers below the trigger guard to steady you shot patterns. If you are using the weaver stance when shooting and have both hands on the firearm, then work on natural draw placement and focusing on the target.

I purchased the .22 conversion kit for my Sig p229. As long as you use the right ammo, you can fire that thing all day long relatively cheap. I get to use the same gun I normally would, but for much less. The trigger pull is the same, the grip feel is the same, everything is the same except for the recoil. Big advantage of owning a Sig.

I hit the range with a friend this weekend who had the same kit for his Sig. We had a blast for half the price of shooting 9mm all day.

I carry a Glock 26. Shoot a couple times a month at a range and dry fire with the laser bullet at home. Besides cheaper ammo (more practice), is there any other reason why I should consider getting a Walther P22 also? I'm not sure if I should just shoot what I carry or would also shooting more of the .22 help with my overall abilities even though it has less recoil and would be a different trigger feel.

Oh yeah! They are a ton of fun and make great small game weapons. I love my Ruger MkIII Hunter.

I recently sold my Glock 26 (still have my G19)...I now have MY conversion kit listed here on this forum (Advantage Arms kit).

They are a lot of fun - especially when you use the same gun frame as you normally do. and 22 ammo is SO much cheaper to shoot.

ps...PM sent

I looked at the .22 conversion kit and would love one, but THEY ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND. 200 on backorder at Glock world since Jan 2009. Similar story wherever I look. Advantage arms should hire more people but what do I know! Hard to find a .22 with similar controls to my Glock 26.

Shooting a .22 pistol is an excellent way to improve your proficiency with a handgun. The basics are the same for nearly all handguns. Ammunition is very affordable and the .22 is easy on the body and will help new shooters to learn to avoid accuracy killers like jerking the trigger and flinching. The weight and trigger pull may not be the same, but the mechanics are. The .22 is also a great survival tool tool, compact, light weight, accurate, and you can easily carry 10 times more ammunition. While the .22 is not the best choice for a defensive weapon, if I could only own one handgun it would be a .22 LR.

I agree with everybody else, .22's are great tools for learning to shoot, are great to shoot in their own right, and are great fun to shoot.

Trigger time is trigger time and the more you pull the trigger, the better you can get.

Dry fire practice is great but it doesn't replace burning powder. Not only are they cheap to shoot but the .22 round is ACCURATE. If you miss with a .22, it's YOUR fault.

There is nothing better for honing skills than more trigger time. Trigger time w/ centerfire=$$$... 22LR pistols and rifles are a great way to get training, technique, and fun all mixed into an inexpensive range trip... Trigger time w/ 22LR=¢¢

Send the target all the way out 25yds and try shooting small groups... Keeps me busy for a while...

Practice. Cheep ammo. If you have children who are younger once you find they are old enough and responsible enough you can teach them easier and cheaper. And. Again practice without going broke. 1000 rounds for 10$ or 100 for 20$

I recently sold my Glock 26 (still have my G19)...I now have MY conversion kit listed here on this forum (Advantage Arms kit).

They are a lot of fun - especially when you use the same gun frame as you normally do. and 22 ammo is SO much cheaper to shoot.

ps...PM sent

AND....Advantage Arms conversion kit shipped yesterday (Friday)
- Jeff..you should receive it Tuesday or Wednesday...Have Fun!!

When I was going through CCW training the 22 was what they used. Never thought about buying one but since reading this thread its something to think about.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back