OCing and CCW Badges

Status
Not open for further replies.

B2Tall

Stirrer of the Pot
I originally posted this on another thread but in retrospect I feel it merits its own thread:

Why wouldn't a dedicated OCer wear a CCW badge in areas where he/she can't OC?? Doesn't the badge basically do the same thing as the pistol - let other knows that the carrier is armed?? I've seen a lot of OCers (and CCers to be sure) on this site ridicule CCW badge-wearers as wannabe cops and pretenders, but isn't their goal the same as the OCers - to make others around them aware that they're armed??

What's good for the goose is good for the gander. It seems quite hypocritical to me for an OCer to criticize somebody for wearing a CCW badge when their goals are clearly the same.

While I am not from an OC state, my observations have been that some of these CCW Badges that I have seen, resemble too closely law enforcement badges. To the untrained eye/casual observer, the individual can easily be mistaken for a LEO. Which can cause a multitude of problems for the wearer.
In Texas, Concealed Carry, is interpreted just as that, "Concealed Carry". Any outward appearance or indication that you are carrying, either by printing, the slip of the cover, or an openly displayed badge, can and will get you arrested.
I thoroughly believe in the element of surprise. Keep the bad guy guessing as to who may or may not be packing, and it in itself minimizes the risk!

I was just discussing this with an officer the other day. My concern (which also raise without my mentioning it) is that someone can claim that you were impersonating an officer - more importantly the bad guy can claim that you identified yourself as such in court and without witnesses you're SOL.

Why advertise your "concealed" handgun with a badge?

I agree, but some people want to OC but can't because of local or state laws. In that case isn't the badge a substutute for OCing? Kind of a way to circumvent the law by letting those around you know you're armed without actually displaying a firearm?? Isn't that the goal of the OCer as well......to let everyone know that they're armed and to (hopefully) deter crime as a result??

I thought it a bit funny that there are OCers on this site that dismiss badge-wearers as wannabes and showoffs yet their (the OCers) reason for openly carrying a pistol on their hip is the same reason that "badgers" display a badge.

I was just discussing this with an officer the other day. My concern (which also raise without my mentioning it) is that someone can claim that you were impersonating an officer - more importantly the bad guy can claim that you identified yourself as such in court and without witnesses you're SOL.

I agree. The real problem with a CC badge is the posibility of someone impersonating a LEO in order to carry out criminal activity.

But, I disgree completely with the OP if his intent was to dis-respect the badge of an LEO by implying that a badge of an LEO and ccer are meant to allow someone to recognize that you are armed.

To me, an LEO badge is a badge of repect, honor & authority.

The original intent of a CC badge was to signify to an LEO who may come in contact a CCer, who the GG is. But, the concept just has way to many problems to be practical.

-

But, I disgree completely with the OP if his intent was to dis-respect the badge of an LEO by implying that a badge of an LEO and ccer are meant to allow someone to recognize that you are armed.

??? Not sure how anyone could interpret my post as disrespect towards LEOs. They weren't even mentioned.

The purpose of my post is to compare the intent of OCers with the intent of those who wear CC badges (hereafter referred to as "badgers"). On the surface at least the intents of both groups seem to be the same - to make sure that those around them know that they're armed for various reasons. Remember - not everyone who wants to OC can legally do so, so the badge is a substitute for an open-carried pistol (i.e. a way to let people know you're armed).

I'm simply pointing out that OCers and Badgers appear to be brothers-in-arms, so to speak.

Let me ask this - would you dedicated OCers out there wear a badge if you found yourself in a place where OC isn't allowed?? If not, why "no"?

I replied to your original post on the other thread. I thought CCW badges were a joke until 50 actually posted a link to the website selling it. For an LEO, the badge does not represent a firearm, but authority. Because I'm not pushing my authority on others, when I open carry I do not need a badge, and when I CC I do not need a badge.

If I can't legally OC, I wont. If I can, I will. Do mall ninja's and CC go hand in hand? with all their sneaky surprises? Next question?

??? Not sure how anyone could interpret my post as disrespect towards LEOs. They weren't even mentioned.

The purpose of my post is to compare the intent of OCers with the intent of those who wear CC badges (hereafter referred to as "badgers"). On the surface at least the intents of both groups seem to be the same - to make sure that those around them know that they're armed for various reasons. Remember - not everyone who wants to OC can legally do so, so the badge is a substitute for an open-carried pistol (i.e. a way to let people know you're armed).

I'm simply pointing out that OCers and Badgers appear to be brothers-in-arms, so to speak.

Let me ask this - would you dedicated OCers out there wear a badge if you found yourself in a place where OC isn't allowed?? If not, why "no"?

I didn't think you would really ever be direspectful to anyone B2T. :biggrin:

I really can't see any correlation between badgers and OCers. For the most part, I think for the most part OCers try to be a shadow man to the general public; just like CCers. However, an OCer wants a BG to definitely recognize him as a threat should a BG look upon him as a potential victim.

Wearing a badge could also get a person in trouble if they aren't careful. So, I see any "civilian" wearing a badge a bad idea.

You mean "carry badges" actually exist? I thought everyone in the forums simply referred to them sort of "tongue in cheek".

I guess I merely couldn't see the use for them at all..... so I assumed they were a comic relief reference or a sarcastic put down of sorts.

I'll be dipped! (Unless someone is pulling my leg on the matter.)

Anyway and either way.... I'll go with the oft seen comment... "We don't need no stinkin' badges!" (LOL!)

GG

B2Tall, I take exception to your original premise only because I do believe that a police badge, because it is worn on the chest, is meant to identify a governmental authority figure. However, the only reason I ever wanted a badge was not to let anyone know I was armed - I am a staunch advocate of CC and keep the surprise element - but I always thought it would be immensely helpful if, as I call 911, I pull my badge out on my chain around my neck or uncover it on my belt and when police arrive they look at the two of us (perp and victim) and I say, "Legally licensed citizen!" as I hold the BG at gun point and the cop fires back "Let me see your badge!" at which point I hold up my chained badge around my neck or pull back my jacket to expose my (now) uncovered belt holder with badge. The police order, "Secure your weapon" and immediately sweep in, cuff BG first, then relieve me of my weapon, but the officers know I have been trained, had my background checked and do not have any intention of ending their life and therefore they are safe in trusting me.

Also, almost every state has a badge design or color that they have not employed for their law enforcement purposes. Everyone knows that the "Star in Circle" is U.S. Marshall, so why not assign a badge style that is NOT currently in use by LEOs of the state? Maybe a five-pointed star (no circle) or seven-pointed star that points downward that does not look anything like the shield that actual LEOs use? It's not a badge of authority but just an identifier. A symbol given to people that have paid in money, training and background checks to prove that they are trustworthy and of good character in a tense and dangerous situation when the police aren't sure which person with the weapon should be trusted.

Just my two cents worth, but I can see where it would be a valuable aide to LEOs instead of the problem everyone else sees. I think the people seeing the "badgers" as pretend LEOs going out and using them are the same as the people that saw CCW "Shall-Issue" as the return of gunfights in the middle of the streets - it's unsupported sensationalism.

Cc badges are just silly and i personally would never give thought to owning one, but the only logical reason I can come up with for wearing one would be to wear it while you are open carrying so as not to get some negative attention from cotton tops or ignorant people who forgot about the right to carry. That goes back to the potential to be considered impersonating a cop. However if you don't say you are and the badge doesn't either I guess you'd be good. Irregardless, they're stupid, don't buy one.

TekGreg:227031 said:
B2Tall, I take exception to your original premise only because I do believe that a police badge, because it is worn on the chest, is meant to identify a governmental authority figure. However, the only reason I ever wanted a badge was not to let anyone know I was armed - I am a staunch advocate of CC and keep the surprise element - but I always thought it would be immensely helpful if, as I call 911, I pull my badge out on my chain around my neck or uncover it on my belt and when police arrive they look at the two of us (perp and victim) and I say, "Legally licensed citizen!" as I hold the BG at gun point and the cop fires back "Let me see your badge!" at which point I hold up my chained badge around my neck or pull back my jacket to expose my (now) uncovered belt holder with badge. The police order, "Secure your weapon" and immediately sweep in, cuff BG first, then relieve me of my weapon, but the officers know I have been trained, had my background checked and do not have any intention of ending their life and therefore they are safe in trusting me.

Also, almost every state has a badge design or color that they have not employed for their law enforcement purposes. Everyone knows that the "Star in Circle" is U.S. Marshall, so why not assign a badge style that is NOT currently in use by LEOs of the state? Maybe a five-pointed star (no circle) or seven-pointed star that points downward that does not look anything like the shield that actual LEOs use? It's not a badge of authority but just an identifier. A symbol given to people that have paid in money, training and background checks to prove that they are trustworthy and of good character in a tense and dangerous situation when the police aren't sure which person with the weapon should be trusted.

Just my two cents worth, but I can see where it would be a valuable aide to LEOs instead of the problem everyone else sees. I think the people seeing the "badgers" as pretend LEOs going out and using them are the same as the people that saw CCW "Shall-Issue" as the return of gunfights in the middle of the streets - it's unsupported sensationalism.

how about the star of David?

For Utah the Utah Bureau of Criminal Identification states that permit holders should not possess or display badges. This is what was presented to us in Instructor training: "U.C.A. 76-8-512(3) A person is guilty of a class B misdemeanor who: displays or possesses without authority any badge... or a reasonable facsimile... with the intent to induce another to submit to or rely on his pretended official authority..."

If someone wants to wear a badge they should go to the police academy.

Uh, if I understand correctly the suggestion is to carry the badge without carrying a gun?

Incorrect. Let me clarify: I was asking if OCers that go to a city or state where OCing is prohibited (but CC is legal), would they go ahead and CC but wear the CC badge in order to let people know that they're packing. After all, isn't that one of the primary reasons for OCing - to deter crime by making it known that you're armed??

Example: John Smith OCs all the time in his home state. One of the reasons he OCs is for what he perceives as a deterrant factor. He's going to Florida where OC is prohibited but his CC permit is honored. Mr. Smith will CC while in Florida and, in lieu of having a visible pistol on his hip to act as a deterrant, he'll wear a concealed carry badge in plain view. His reason for doing this is so that potential BGs will see the badge and, knowing he's armed, walk away.

Get it? The badge acts as a substitute deterrant.

Similar to how the CCW Cape works.

Personally I think the badges are a bit silly. I just want to know how so many OCers can ridicule somebody for displaying something that basically says "I'm carrying a gun" while their (the OCers) actions tell the world the same thing - "look at me, I'm packing". The methods might be different but the intended result seems to be the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back