When you carry do you have a round in the chamber?

Cocked Locked and Loaded, if you need a reminder your gun is loaded all the time you don't need to be carrying a gun. If you are one of the hundreds of folks I have seen at gun shows picking up a weapon and placing finger on the trigger while you point the gun in every direction, you are to stupid to have a weapon in your possession.

Link Removed Link Removed

Oh and BTW I have been carrying with one in the pipe since 1970 and have had my carry permit since 1986 in Florida , and NO mishaps and two saves .

You kinda kicked the hornet's nest there. Most people that carry carry with one in the pipe but you will inevitably get some that swear that the "Israeli Draw" is the way to go ... yadayadayada ...

Handle the weapon with focus and care and you will not have any accidents.

my Kahr pm9 also has no safety, but i feel it's almost useless to carry if it's not ready to shoot when u need it. a round in the chamber is the way they're meant to b carried. just practice drawing with an empty weapon, and b careful when carrying and no accidents will happen. accidents happen to people who get too comfortable and become careless.

Glock22, Kramer IWB, 1.5 inch 5.11 Trainer Belt, make sure all my equipment is in good working order and always carry a round in the chamber. With the proper equipment and training there is no more reason to be afraid of a firearm with a chambered round than a car that has gas in the tank. Less really, cars are much more deadly.

Pull trigger gun goes boom
Don't pull trigger gun doesint go boom
Keep your gun ready finger off the trigger and your fine
nice gun by the way

If I am carrying my Kimber 1911 its full mag, empty chamber. With the H&K's and the Beretta its got one in the pipe. I just get hinky with the hammer cocked over a live round. I know all the arguments, and have no wish to continue with any of them, it's just how I feel.
MR

the ole saying

It better to have it not need it, than to need it not have it so if you go around with nothing in the chamber u might feel safe but it u have to go into fire fight and u are SAFELY having you index finger along the slide yes but all and all be SAFE

It's foolish to CCW without one in the tube. IT IS VERY LIKELY that, if you need to draw, you will not have time to chamber a round.

I have carried a Taurus 709 Slim with one chambered. I bought a Desert Eagle 1911 C a few weeks back and it took a little while to get used to it. After about ten trips to the range getting used to it, I now feel comfortable with one in the chamber.

Well, in military training with the M9 (Beretta 9mm), we're taught to have one in the chamber at the beginning. That is, when you put in the magazine, you pull back and let go. The safety keeps it from firing off accidentally. When the magazine is empty after shooting, the slide stays back and open. When you put in a new magazine, you push the slide release, and it automatically puts one in the chamber for you as it slides forward. This way you're not having to pull back the slide if your in a situation needing to use your gun.

I have to agree with the other posters in training is key! I carry a Glock 27 one in the chamber, Before that 1911 locked and loaded,before that 2in .357 revolver.
Having an unloaded chamber is just one more step I have to take,which equals seconds which I may not have!
I would rather take the time to train in proper handling and carry with the chamber loaded.
Remember you may not get the chance to wish you had trained better.

I am new to a ccw but not new to firearms. I had a DA semi with a hammer block safety and was very familiar and comfortable handling it with one in the chamber. When I saw someone carrying or at the range with a 1911 in the locked and cocked position I was uncomfortable because I wasn't educated in the system. It was very intimidating. After reading alot and educating myself on the proper way to handle a 1911 I fully understood the process. I now carry a 1911 in the condition one position and am completely comfortable in this decision. I feel that the few or less seconds to prepare to fire may give the edge to opposition. It will mean life or death and I intend to go home to my family. I feel that education and familiarity with the firearm you plan on carrying is of the utmost importance. Do NOT give any advantage to the opposition, educate yourself and practice, practice and more practice until you are confident in your choice. Be safe and go home.

A handgun is already a defensive weapon. If you knew a fight was coming, you should have a shotgun ready.
Always have a round chambered.

For those who disagree, send them this

Jeff Cooper's Rules of Gun Safety

RULE I: ALL GUNS ARE ALWAYS LOADED

RULE II: NEVER LET THE MUZZLE COVER ANYTHING YOU ARE NOT WILLING TO DESTROY

RULE III: KEEP YOUR FINGER OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOUR SIGHTS ARE ON THE TARGET

RULE IV: BE SURE OF YOUR TARGET

There is no addtional risk by carrying with one in the chamber if you religiously follow these rules.

I figure the bad guy probably won't accommodate me by waiting while I chamber a round, so yes... I carry it chambered. (S&W M&P9 with thumb safety)

I have a few pistols packed high in the closet for such problems. I hope it never happens, but its safer to be sure.
High in the closet??? Isn't that the same as an empty chamber? I mean you have to fumble around in the dark,adrenaline pumping,looking for a gun hidden in a closet.Meanwhile badguys are approaching quick!.
A previous poster stated " you'd be surprise how quickly someone can cover a few feet towards you"
It is very true!! Having worked in various aspects of private security,and being in situations where time is a factor trust me a loaded chamber(or easily accessed weapon) is critical.
Seconds may be all you have!!!!

Any issue of safety should come up as often as newbies need it. I realize that a search of the forums would find old instances of the issue, but people don't always think to do that. Anyhow, good advice is always good to find.
Thank you!
As a "newbie" (to the forum,Not firearms) I sometimes find it difficult to navigate the site,different forums have different search features.Sometimes it is just easier to ask the question and face the wrath of posters who feel that everyone should be an expert no matter the subject.
My question to them is How does one become an expert without questions and repetition of the answers.
I belong to a photography forum where the majority of posters feel it is beneath them to answer questions or offer constructive criticism,they feel insults and belittlement are just as good.
I have seen many beginner and students get discouraged and walk away from photography all together because of this treatment.
That is just using a camera....I would hope that we as responsible and ethical gun owners would want to keep that from happening in the firearms community.
Education is essential no matter what form it takes!

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back