Why Carrying Concealed is important.

ONLYPILL

When you are in concealment, you up your survival chances.

The late Carlos Hathcock USMC. said it best

"Navy Captain Norman D. Holcomb, Force Chaplain for U.S. Marine Corps Forces, Atlantic officiated the service. Chaplain Holcomb, a former Marine infantryman and sniper, served with Hathcock before joining the Navy. "I transferred from a sniper unit to an infantry unit and got shot shortly thereafter," Holcomb said. "The Gunny told me- that's what happens when you leave your cover and concealment go back to the grunts, you make yourself a target," Holcomb recalled Hathcock kidding him."

But was Carlos kidding?

Link Removed

Are you comparing cover and concealment in tactics to style of carry? Are you implying I drag around a bullet proof wall everywhere I go?

I think what he is saying is Minimal attention, not so much natural. The art of surprise is our biggest weapon. Criminals not knowning whom is carrying a gun gives us the slight up at hand. They will think twice before robbing and looting our person/homes

I think what he is saying is Minimal attention, not so much natural. The art of surprise is our biggest weapon. Criminals not knowning whom is carrying a gun gives us the slight up at hand. They will think twice before robbing and looting our person/homes

So, by your logic, those who open carry are more likely to be robbed?

Wow, I cant believe anyone would rather rob a visibly armed person over one who isnt.....That would be one very crazy and stupid (read deathwish/wants to die) robber.......

Would you like to know why I dont believe it? Because here in the real world (not fantasy land like your mind) robbers/thieves want to stay alive just as much as you do..... Open carrying a weapon instead of hiding it is a MUCH BETTER deterrent than the thought that someone MIGHT be armed...

dojoman:223943 said:

Please paint the picture (get it, you said the art....) of how you would surprise a bad guy already attacking you.

I think it's important to remember why we conceal: so we don't alarm everyone in our immediate vicinity (yes, there are a few people still phobic about guns and those who carry them) and so that in a multiple victim encounter we don't become the first priority (think security guard in a bank). By the time a BG is attacking me, I hope he's already well aware that I'm armed.

I have no issue with open carry. I'm sure areas where people OC there is little to no crime. However, for the areas that don't allow it or are "we fear guns" CC is our best defence.
But I will say this, if you happen apon a criminal in the act or they see with the gun are you.......feared and left alone..... Or seen as a threat and Should be attacked? That is just an idea.
I'll end with the simple fact I am All For Carrying, PERIOD. Be that OC or CC. This topic was nothing to do with OC so I responded in that of CC. Hope this answers the attacking questions you all presented.

Furthermore, I don't live in Fantasy Land...... The sleeping yuppies that think some Tall Dark Hansom Man will come to my rescue the second something bad happens those are Fantasy Land ppl. I have my training, I carry all day everyday(where I legally can) I have situational awareness and so on.
I listen and read the news everyday. I know where violence is happen. Where ppl r getting robbed, sta bbed, shot, mugged, and so on. So unless you know me, which you don't, you "assume" you do, it is wise to not make accusations with nothing to back it up.

Last note: we are all on the same team. (OC and CC) stop turning this into some Football game or Red Corner/Blue Corner crap. Both sides have Pros and Cons, and I know you agree there. So instead of insulting and attackin one another (bc we have enough criminals to worry about w/o eachother) let's have civil non threatin insulting intelligent talks.

codacreator:223982 said:
I think it's important to remember why we conceal: so we don't alarm everyone in our immediate vicinity (yes, there are a few people still phobic about guns and those who carry them) and so that in a multiple victim encounter we don't become the first priority (think security guard in a bank). By the time a BG is attacking me, I hope he's already well aware that I'm armed.

Security guards, armored truck guards, police are all targeted for different reasons than an OC civilian. We have asked a lot on this forum to provide any kind of evidence, statistics, examples, of OC being priority 1. Nothing is impossible, there is a possibility an OC will be targeted solely for his firearm, but seeing how hundreds of thousands OC and there is no verifiable fact that they are targeted pretty much puts that argument to an end.

dojoman:223996 said:
I have no issue with open carry. I'm sure areas where people OC there is little to no crime. However, for the areas that don't allow it or are "we fear guns" CC is our best defence.
But I will say this, if you happen apon a criminal in the act or they see with the gun are you.......feared and left alone..... Or seen as a threat and Should be attacked? That is just an idea.
I'll end with the simple fact I am All For Carrying, PERIOD. Be that OC or CC. This topic was nothing to do with OC so I responded in that of CC. Hope this answers the attacking questions you all presented.

Dojo I agree completely that we are on the same side when it comes to carry in general. But, when it comes to training and education, we can all have a decent debate. Axe could tone it down, if he wants. I never attacked you, I just asked you to give me a scenario that you can surprise a bad guy that has targeted you.

I agree. Debates I'm all for. As far as how surprising a BG that I'm carrying that is many times more in depth then one answer. I'd like to believe that if they just pull a knife and not expecting me to have a gun, I'd be able to "surprise" them that way. That's assuming they don't come from behind me. Sadly there are criminals that don't care and would attack their own mother or police. I know carrying is not a full out protection, its just a advantage. Concealing would help if like a robbery of a store or restaurant and I don't want to get involved, but if I'm OC and the BD sees it I probably be Forced to act instead of having the choice not to. But its only one scenario of course

That makes no sense at all. How is a criminal going to differentiate you from all the unarmed targets/victims that you try to appear to be just like? How does your CONCEALED gun cause criminals to thing twice about robbing you? Are they psychic?

I agree. Debates I'm all for. As far as how surprising a BG that I'm carrying that is many times more in depth then one answer. I'd like to believe that if they just pull a knife and not expecting me to have a gun, I'd be able to "surprise" them that way. That's assuming they don't come from behind me. Sadly there are criminals that don't care and would attack their own mother or police. I know carrying is not a full out protection, its just a advantage. Concealing would help if like a robbery of a store or restaurant and I don't want to get involved, but if I'm OC and the BD sees it I probably be Forced to act instead of having the choice not to. But its only one scenario of course

More likely than not the criminal is going to wait two minutes for the guy with the gun to leave, or go to the next convenience store down the street one block where there is nobody there with a gun and rob them. With 99.5% of the public appearing to not be armed, it makes no sense at all to think a criminal would choose to attack the .5% that are visibly armed.

When you rely upon your "element of surprise" you are gambling that your "element of surprise" will be more effective than the criminal's. The problem is when it comes time to execute your "element of surprise" it is because the criminal has ALREADY surprised you! Your best HOPE is that the criminal has threatened you with a lesser weapon than you have; what you are gambling on is that you can play wild west quick draw and "surprise" the criminal before they injure or kill you in the process.

Last note: we are all on the same team. (OC and CC) stop turning this into some Football game or Red Corner/Blue Corner crap. Both sides have Pros and Cons, and I know you agree there. So instead of insulting and attackin one another (bc we have enough criminals to worry about w/o eachother) let's have civil non threatin insulting intelligent talks.

A few items....
One, I dont have a "toned down" mode, sorry, this is just how I am.... and BTW, I never "attack" anyone, only false misleading ideas..... (some of which could actually get someone killed if they are a novice and believe them)

Two,I refuse to tolerate the same tired FALSE and IDIOTIC lies/crap that seems to be spouted by those who think they know it all, yet have been PROVEN time and time again here to be outright stupid and dangerous if anyone takes them to heart.... The example here is the "element of surprise" bullcrap....

Three, I cannot have an "intelligent" conversation about an asinine subject.... sorry.... You may feel threatened because your false ideas are being ridiculed and challenged, but that is how you learn, is it not?

My ideas is what I believe. There is a difference b/w debating those ideas and believing that you have to be all macho bc you believe different. What works for me might not work for you. It just so happens to be that where I live in NY, a simple gesture of reaching for 3 o'clock has been all I needed many times. I agree criminals are not stupid and if they get the upper hand it is bad. But, I don't walk around all day thinking to myself "lets look for a fight, I wanna draw before that homie gets a chance.," I wish I lived in a state where that was allowed but I don't. NY doesn't have OC, they don't like armed law fallowing citizens, and they especially hate ppl that refuse to be victims. So once you actually take a few seconds to understand all that, maybe you'll understand why I have to be Reactive as such. Of course I hate it more then anyone and wish I could OC. But sadly welcome to New York! I have to trust and hope that my ideology will keep me alive(and so far so good). Furthermore, I only been CC goin on 3 months and I'm 27 so I never NEEDED a gun, I just chose to add it bc the crime exists and will persist. At this point, you take w.e it is that works for you and walk away. I'll take what works for me and do the same. We all won't agree all the time and this happens to be one of them.

The way I took your OP was that you were promoting that concealed was better 100% of the time in 100% of places. Many concealed carry only folks promote this idea, which simply isn't true. For example in this liberal and hippie infested state of Washington, 99% of the population simply is not frightened or upset at the sight of a handgun carried openly in a holster. They either don't notice or don't care. So the "You'll upset the general population" argument does not hold water here. I have open carried in downtown Seattle and all the way through SEATAC International Airport, right up the entrance to the security screening line. Not a peep of concern out of anyone.

Criminals in Washington state, except for a very few completely gang controlled areas, simply don't attack Joe Citizen who is visibly armed. The save their efforts for easy targets. So, in MY area, in MY circumstances, open carry has the huge advantage of deterrence and presenting a positive image of normal American doing normal American activities who can defend themselves to counter the negative image of guns pounded by the anti-gun groups and anti-gun media.

My method of carry won't deter every crime. My method of carry may not be better for you or anyone else. But the facts are that research, statistics and my own experiences have proven that my method is best for me, in my location, at this time.

You simply posted a statement in your OP that claimed concealed carry was better, period. And some of us will always say, NOT for us.

And Navy, any day I walk out my door its a gamble. Anytime I drive down the road its a gamble. I will say this, I don't gamble with my safety ok. I don't Put myself into situations where I could run into trouble. I have avoided it many times thank you very much. If I had more options then just a element of surprise don't you think I would capitalize on it. But sadly I don't have many options, I'm not in the ol west nor am I in a OC state. Do I think its stupid that I have to play a roll of tuck tail and run? Of course I do! But I obay the laws for a reason, bc if I didn't I'm no better then a criminal. Also, I've over heard many times from different ppl that they believe Everyone is carrying a weapon of some sort so where I live ppl assume u have a knife or gun. In my case its both bc I like options BUT I dont have the "hmmm do I hide my gun ooooor do I put it on my side for ALL to see" its not so simple here. Call it what you want but if you ever have been in what I am in (a CC it or face arrest state) then you truely do not understand. Especially now adays where all these tv watching yuppies believe only 3 kinds of ppl have guns (militiary/rebels, law.enforcement and criminals) they don't understand that we have rights to own and carry guns. So put those ppl into factor that I have to be aware of, not only criminals but Miss Spys and Mr "they are terrorist" Paranoid. I dont let these ppl stop me from having my 2nd amendment rights, BUT I sure as well won't let them try to ruin it bc they are ignorant. All summed up...I use what little advantages I have to the best I can. I just am not as lucky as you Navy or others to be able to OC or not have laws to put me in prison for a accidental exposure.

I am happy to see that you are lucky to have a OC state and most people are ok with it. At no point did I say CC will work 100% of the time, my apologize if you took it that way. This is a classic argument that goes back years. Neither is better and neither is worse. It just dependants Where you are. Im sure we can agree there. Apparently where you live, a criminal won't mess with you bc of a gun and I honestly say that is good news. Where I live they see it different, they think your tryin to Prove Something or you think your tough ----. Just a insite

dojoman..... Why do you keep insisting that you have "an element of surprise" by conceal carrying? (remember, you are saying you can pull it out AFTER you are in a situation and SURPRISE!!!) Sorry, .... Surprise is an OFFENSIVE tactic, period.... not a defensive tactic as you keep trying to say it is......

New Threads

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back