What gun is best for a girl?

xmuahx

I am in the market for a new gun, and am signed up for my carry permit and am just interested on some opinions on the type of gun that would best fit me to carry. any opinions?

You're about to get a barrage of suggestions. Mine? Borrow every model you can find, try them all, choose one that's relatively compact and feels good to shoot.

Whatever they are comfortable shooting and carrying. Seems like more tend to get revolvers for simplicity and no slide to rack. My wife and sister both can't rack the slide on my XD.

You're about to get a barrage of suggestions. Mine? Borrow every model you can find, try them all, choose one that's relatively compact and feels good to shoot.

Great advice! Since there's really no such thing as "the best gun for a girl" (or a guy for that matter), you will want to try as many different types and calibers as you are able. There are also many other considerations:

- How will you be carrying your weapon? (holster, pocket, purse, etc)
- Where will you be carrying (work, traveling, etc)
- What types of clothing will you be wearing?
- What climate do you live in?

Best of luck. Let us know what you decide!

Some Suggestions

First, find a range where you can rent pistols. If you were my daughter I would suggest a .38 revolver to start. Once you find one that fits your hand well, take a NRA basic handgun course and if you can afford it the NRA handgun self defense course. I'm sure that if you ask, several of your classmates would let you shoot some rounds down range using their weapons. By this time you should have a good idea of what type and caliber of weapon you want. This way so far you've rented a firearm and taken two very good classes and received a ton of differing opinions on the type of weapon that will fit your needs without wasting money on a weapon you don't want to keep. This will save in the longterm by buying the best weapon to fit your needs the FIRST time. Finely, go online and purchase 500 + rounds and practice!!! Remember your weapon is useless sitting at home locked in a safe, keep it with you at all times. I hope some of the above was helpful. Good luck and stay safe.

All good info, as Sfe said make sure you can handle racking the slide and loading the magazine on whatever you think is an option. My wife can only rack the slide easily on the Walther PK380 we bought for her, she had trouble with most other. Same with the magazines, the ones with stiffer springs were too hard for her to load. We almost went to a revolver but settled on the Walther. Best to go rent several at the range t find one that fits your hand best, and that you can work easily. Take everything in to account - racking the slide, loading the magazine, the weight and whether you will carry it if it's too heavy, the size and whether it fits with your dress and ability to carry. Better to have a smaller caliber pistol you will carry than a bigger one you will not.

Chuck

Gave my daughter a shrouded hammer S&W snubbie 38. It is double action so she can simply pull the trigger if time presses. With the shrouded hammer she can drop it into her pocket and pull it out without it snagging. It is a regular weight so it does not "kick" like an ultralite or punish her hand. I have gone to a Sig 232 in 380 double action. It is not "boxy" like most. Love the streamlined size. Note: carry your shooter on your person. Putting it in your pocket book may get it snatched.

A gun is a tool. (like many of us!)

A hammer is a tool, as is a pair of pliers or a wrench.

Like about a thousand peeps will say here, go and try (rent at a range) a few and see what's best. ...And, just like many others may say, if you are not going to train a lot for malfunction clearance, get a revolver.

Picking your first handgun--woman's point of view

I am in the market for a new gun, and am signed up for my carry permit and am just interested on some opinions on the type of gun that would best fit me to carry. any opinions?

Welcome!

I am too old to be considered a "girl," but I will answer from a woman's standpoint. :)

Those that recommend that you TRY, TRY, TRY (meaning handle, shoot, and see if you can manage shooting/caring for/take-down of the firearm) are correct. The best firearm FOR YOU is the one that feels best in YOUR hand and the one that YOU handle the best.

I am a nerdy, research type by nature. I researched my first gun to death, narrowed my choice down to 3, and then headed off to a range that had a lot of rentals. Interestingly enough, I came home with a gun that didn't even make my research list.

I have since purchased 2 more handguns and a shotgun. I have to say that while I still LOVE my first purchase (H&K USP9 compact), I keep that one at home mostly. I carry a Kahr MK9 (metal ... there is also a PM9 model which is polymer) in a custom IWB holster every day, and for range work I prefer my XDM9 compact.

For me, nothing feels better in my hand than the Kahr. It is very thin, and its heft--because it is metal and NOT polymer--makes it shoot very nicely for such a small gun. Simply put, it FITS ME. Add to that the THINNESS of the gun, and it conceals very easily on my 5'6" vaguely-athletic frame.

I shoot all the guns when practicing (regularly! It is, after all, carried for self defense), but the XDM9 is really a joy to shoot. It has a very soft recoil, which means quicker follow-up shots and a more pleasant shooting experience in general. It is very accurate, and it is also easier to clean that the others (I can clean the XDM in about 15 minutes LESS time than the others).

SERIOUSLY, GO HANDLE AND SHOOT AS MANY GUNS AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN. You will know when you handle it and shoot it which gun is for YOU.

Oh yeah, don't limit yourself to revolvers. Many women get revolvers because the men in their lives (relatives or salespeople) tell them that it will be easier for them because they won't have to struggle to "rack the slide." Unless you have some kind of limiting factors coming into play, you shouldn't have a problem if you use the SLINGSHOT technique explained here by Massad Ayoob (he has daughters that he taught to shoot at very young ages that use this method) :

Armed and Female by Massad Ayoob Issue #63

For example, most men operate a semiautomatic pistol by holding the frame in their dominant hand, and reaching across their chest with the free hand and grabbing the slide to “rack” it back. This is an upper body strength intensive technique, pitting arm against arm, and a lot of smaller or older women can’t do it well with many pistols. They’ll have better luck with the “slingshot” technique, in which the support hand firmly grabs the slide and pulls back while the gun-hand is pushing forward. This can be combined with a turn of the hips that puts the entire body weight into the movement, making it happen almost effortlessly.

Link Removed

I actually tip my shooting hand so that the top of my wrist is parallel to the ground. Then I grasp the gun with my support hand's thumb almost parallel to my trigger finger (which is along the SIDE of the gun, as shown in the picture), which allows me to grasp MORE of the slide than what this man is grabbing. I use my WHOLE HAND (thumb and all my fingers) to grasp the slide--this man is using only his thumb and pointer finger. Someday I will post a picture....

All slides are a bit stiff to rack at first (especially if you are not used to doing it), but the springs will loosen up over time.

Best of luck,

Go to a good gun dealer. Most have what they call "Range Guns". These are guns you can try out to see if you like them. If you can do that you would be in a good position to get something you like. Everyone has their personal preference and what's good for one may not be for another.

Best gun for a girl...

First off I agree with a lot of the posts that say you should try different ones and a lot of them. However, if you are a person with small hands and you would rather carry a semi-auto I do have a suggestion. I have freakishly small hands, ring finger size 6, very small but I don't particularly care for revolvers. I carry a 709 slim by Taurus. It is compact, easy to carry and fits my hands. The kickback isn't very bad and I can maneuver the slide and load the clip just fine. You can also buy re-looading helpers to reload more quickly if you want. I carry a weapon on the job and it is in plain sight on my hip and very comfortable, not too heavy.

Do not let a guy tell you what to get. Most men are idiots thinking they can pick a gun for their lady.
Working at a gun store I had to always tell couples not to get her a little stubby Smith. They are way too small and hard to shoot for most ladies.
My father in law gave mt wife one (one reason we don't like each other lol) and well what do you know she can't handle the recoil, she dislikes the grip and thus doesn't like it.
I even dislike shooting it!
Try and find a FEMALE instructor or a store clerk.
Is suggest a full to mid size auto. The whole thing about not being able to work a slide on an auto is a myth. It's how you do it more than strength.
Now yes the small guns are good and have their place...

First off I agree with a lot of the posts that say you should try different ones and a lot of them. However, if you are a person with small hands and you would rather carry a semi-auto I do have a suggestion. I have freakishly small hands, ring finger size 6, very small but I don't particularly care for revolvers. I carry a 709 slim by Taurus. It is compact, easy to carry and fits my hands. The kickback isn't very bad and I can maneuver the slide and load the clip just fine. You can also buy re-looading helpers to reload more quickly if you want. I carry a weapon on the job and it is in plain sight on my hip and very comfortable, not too heavy.

Well said, Zoe. ..."magazine" tho, as it's reloadable. :biggrin:

While I admit a revolver would be the most trouble free,hopefully anyways, the light LCR and Smith&Wesson bodygaurd are fine weapons and feel good to most women, but those Little SOBs really hurt to shoot, a 38 special is a strong rd, and the gun's not heavy at all, so your hand will take the recoil, as was said before go to a gun shop with a range that rents guns, spend a few hours there shoot anything that you may like, try anything that feels good to you, I would guess you will pick a mid size 9mm Taurus, Ruger, both have nice shooting guns that most women would like, and aside from not looking "pretty" try the Glocks, the G-26 and G-27, are nice compact models, and if you want some big firepower the G-36 is a 45, and small, very light recoil, my wife shoots ours very well

1. Adjustable grips are good.
2. If a semi-auto pistol, make sure you can reach all the controls without having to change your grip on the gun; see # 1 above.
3. A heavier gun is easier to shoot but harder to carry.
4. Simpler is better. Once you have bought your gun and a good holster resist the temptation to buy gadgets and other whiz-bang devices. Spend your money on training and ammo. At some point you will have answered most of your own questions.
5. Don't forget to have fun!

Suggested Gun

I think the first key is what feels comfortable and safe for you. There are many weapons I won't carry, just because I am not comfortable with them. Handle and shoot a few guns. My wife is comfortable with her Ruger LCR. Likes the feel, weight, accuracy and power Doesn,t like that is a little wide, but barely notices that now. Still, she prefers this over a little gun, like the Ruger LCP. Also, she weighs about 120 and has no recoil or second shot problems.

I will start by saying any gun thats "good" for a man is "good" for a woman. I know thats not your question but I like the record straight. NOW for personal defense I wouldn't go any smaller than 9mm. Many guns shoot and feel different and it realy comes down to your personal choice. That said I agree with the post that said try them all. Obviously "try them all" means try as many as you can and see what is right for you. Now hear is the absolute undebatable point WHAT MATTERS MOST IS WHAT YOU HIT EM' WITH..The bullet in other words. Use a high quality copper covered hollow point like the speer gold dot by CCI. Study bullets and what they will do to the BG just as much if not more than the gun you fire it from.

Seems to me the best gun for anyone is one that the person can shoot
accurately, can train hard with, and will carry reliably.

That said, it should fit your hand,
feel good in your hand,
and the caliber should be one that you can handle practicing
with (think about 50-100 rounds per training session with the recoil),
and it shouldn't be so big and heavy that you aren't comfortable
wearing it all the time.

It might take more than one gun purchase to find that perfect gun, but
do take everyone's advice and go to a range that lets you rent lots of
guns. Try as many as can before shelling out the bucks. But then don't
be surprised if after a year, you decide you need a different gun.
That's just the way it goes. (Yea, I'm talking from experience.)

New Threads

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shodan
Back